C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

1985 horn problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2014, 08:32 PM
Mike1985
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1985 horn problem

Hey guys. I recently bought a 85 vette and I'm loving it. When I got it the horn was working but then it seemed to just quit on me. When I press the horn I can hear a clicking noise to be coming from behind the dash. Could this be a blown fuse or is the horn just shot? Also is there one or two horns? Thanks for the help
Old 08-19-2014, 09:46 PM
Rebel Rev
Instructor

Originally Posted by Mike1985
Hey guys. I recently bought a 85 vette and I'm loving it. When I got it the horn was working but then it seemed to just quit on me. When I press the horn I can hear a clicking noise to be coming from behind the dash. Could this be a blown fuse or is the horn just shot? Also is there one or two horns? Thanks for the help
When I bought my 1988 C4 a little over a year ago the horn didn't work... I had to get an auto electrician to pull the dashboard out and fix the wiring... lately the horn has been working and then sometimes not... so I looked at the wiring connection at the horn itself and pulled it in and out a couple of times to get a cleaner connection... it works all the time now... I only have one horn on mine but I think they come with 2.
Old 08-20-2014, 12:32 AM
cigr
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There's an inline fuse for the horn conveniently located behind the center of the dash panel. The clicking sound you're hearing is the horn relay, which looks like it's before the fuse in the circuit. It's possible this fuse is blown.

Just got an 85 myself. Getting the horn to work is on the project list, at some point after the weather strips and the shocks. Mine's not even clicking, and the previous owner apparently decided to cut the wires to the horn itself.
Old 08-20-2014, 09:52 AM
fpnmf
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 84 horns (two) didnt work when I bought it..I cleaned the connectors at the horns and now they work. Start at the horns clean and check for voltage and work back from there...

Craig
Old 08-20-2014, 08:55 PM
playsdixie
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 51 Posts

if they're stock horns, they are probable useless by now...sometimes you can clean them out and get them working but they usually only squeak a little....replacement horns are inexpensive and available at any auto parts..get a A and a C tone horn....85 horn fuse is in the DIC area...I think there's another in the passenger panel....85's getting painted so I can't check... until you hear the relay click, nothings going to work..

by the way, welcome to the forum....get a factory service manual....ebay is the cheapest...you'll be needing it....it will be your new bible....welcome to the madness!!!

Last edited by playsdixie; 08-20-2014 at 08:58 PM.
Old 08-20-2014, 10:13 PM
Mike1985
Instructor

Thanks for all the help guys I'll be checking it out tomorrow. And playsdixie if you don't mind me asking, how much are you paying to paint your 85?
Old 08-21-2014, 07:46 AM
playsdixie
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike1985
Thanks for all the help guys I'll be checking it out tomorrow. And playsdixie if you don't mind me asking, how much are you paying to paint your 85?
going to be around 5000....had cheaper quotes, but to strip it down correctly and repaint, it's a little more expensive....3 coats of clear etc.
Gave the paint booth guuy 100 buck tip before I took the car in...they've been at it for two weeks now, should get it back next week. i'll post some pics.....

Get notified of new replies

To 1985 horn problem

Quick Reply: 1985 horn problem