Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

1000 mile trip in a c4, my opinion!

Old 08-19-2014, 05:02 PM
JrRifleCoach
Team Owner

Location: Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction.
Received 639 Likes on 443 Posts
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by Little Red L98
It was early. I hadn't had any coffee yet.
Do that again, and its the time out chair for you!

Old 08-19-2014, 07:13 PM
MyOtherCar
Melting Slicks

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by 2Tarpon
May be a convertible quirk?

The only problem I had was the video speeding ticket that I received from Tennessee, in the mail, when I arrived home.

I drive in Tennessee quite often. Where pray tell did you pick up a video speeding ticket? Better yet, what is a video speeding ticket?
Old 08-19-2014, 08:54 PM
2Tarpon
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MyOtherCar
I drive in Tennessee quite often. Where pray tell did you pick up a video speeding ticket? Better yet, what is a video speeding ticket?
I was on a road trip to the NCRS National Convention with several other Corvettes. We were north bound on Hwy 45E in Medina, TN and I was the last car. One of the drawbacks of being last is you always wind up having to catch up for one reason or another.

Anyway, the notice of violation was sent to my home by USPS. It had 3 color images printed on it of my car, one was a clear view of my license plate. It also included a link to www.Violationinfo.com; where after I filled in a user name and password, that they supplied, I viewed a short video of friends C5 then C4 and then my car. The posted speed and my alleged speed were printed on the still pictures. I double checked to make sure it wasn't a hoax before I paid the fine on line. My car was the only one to get a ticket

BE CAREFUL...BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING!!!
Old 08-19-2014, 10:18 PM
eastcobbdude
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you own a C-4 and have squeaks and rattles, start chasing them! It just takes a little perserverence, and no mechanical brilliance is required. Start with the top, loosen all 4 bolts while the car is sitting level, and then tighten them up again in the proper sequence according to the owners manual, rear ones first, then fronts. Just chase your "noises" one at at time, and suddenly they are all gone.
Old 08-19-2014, 11:21 PM
Tommycourt
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[Q. Sorry, but the c4 vette is a toy only, good weather, good roads, short trips. [/QUOTE]

Well I guess you may be right! However there is quite a few years of technology that has passed between the years and many improvements and some of them weren't the best. I have an 88 vert. with 100k miles that has been extremely cared for and I still enjoy the ride I get. But with the way you are thinking, and making comparisons, I would have to admit that I have 2 Fords and they squeak and make noise however there is a technology difference in their years too. They are a 1930 pick-up and a 1930 Deluxe coupe (Model A's). Even if all 3 of my cars are toys, and only in good weather, good roads and short trips, I have a helluva lot of fun driving them!!!!!!!!
Tommy
Old 08-19-2014, 11:36 PM
Midnight 85
Le Mans Master

Received 53 Likes on 31 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified

I just did over 1700 miles in my '85 coupe, running the Tail of the Dragon was part of that trip. I was tired when I got home, just like I would have been in our '13 Maxima or my '12 Silverado but I had one hell of a lot more fun in the Vette and I would do it again and most likely will. Sorry, maybe you're just not C4 material, but then apparently you're not C5 or C6 material either or you would have kept them.
Old 08-20-2014, 11:35 AM
WW7
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by PLRX
Did you read? I said fun.
Hey Pete , why don't you tell them how many miles you've logged on your 2- C4 Corvette's in the last couple years taking road trips....Then maybe they would believe how much "fun" your having.......WW

Last edited by WW7; 08-20-2014 at 11:37 AM.
Old 08-20-2014, 12:40 PM
Klondike
Race Director

Received 110 Likes on 89 Posts

Almost all the rattles & bangs were in the suspension of my C4. After replacing all the bushings and pulling a loose nut out of the frame rail (?that one was hard to find) I have a tight rattle free car. Been to Colorado & back from South Texas and done many trips out through West Texas in it with no problems. Will be going to Bowling Green next week too. All it takes is regular maintenance.
Old 08-20-2014, 01:40 PM
vetteLT193
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 523 Likes on 313 Posts

The C4's make a ton of interior noises. period. The interior has squeaks and rattles throughout.

It bothers some and doesn't bother others. They did tend to get better over the years by adding felt in areas that rubbed.

The ones that it won't bother as much either a) turn up the radio or b) have a better exhaust.

You can chase down the rattles if you want to and get many, if not all, of them ironed out.

In regards to the C5+ being better... depends. The C4 is an easier car to maintain IMO. They feel better to me and are more fun to drive. BTW my 98 also has squeaks now. They are all getting old. Not many "things" in this world are still used after 20 years.
Old 08-20-2014, 08:15 PM
Rebel Rev
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by vetteLT193
The C4's make a ton of interior noises. period. The interior has squeaks and rattles throughout.

It bothers some and doesn't bother others. They did tend to get better over the years by adding felt in areas that rubbed.

The ones that it won't bother as much either a) turn up the radio or b) have a better exhaust.

You can chase down the rattles if you want to and get many, if not all, of them ironed out.

In regards to the C5+ being better... depends. The C4 is an easier car to maintain IMO. They feel better to me and are more fun to drive. BTW my 98 also has squeaks now. They are all getting old. Not many "things" in this world are still used after 20 years.
My 88 is now 26 years old and when I bought it over a year ago it had rattles and squeaks... redoing the interior fixed all interior ones and then I did all the others one by one... for instance the hood catches and such.

It's fun having a car you can muck around with... that's why I bought it... can't do anything on my new car and I missed not having something to play with... it's also a great feeling to bring something back to close to what it was when it was first built... I call it C4 therapy... if people get down about it maybe an older car is not for them.

I am not going to knock the other Corvette models because I have never had one but I like the look of the C4 more than any other model. I suppose it's a personal preference... that's why we all different... if we were all the same it would be a boring world.
Old 08-20-2014, 11:06 PM
iridelow
Safety Car

Received 159 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by PLRX
Boo-Hoo

You review reads similar to the C7 owners who used to own C6s Vettes.

You used to own a C5 and two C6s; Why are you now a C4 owner?

I own a C5Z06, and consider the C4 to be more fun. It makes me feel part of the car.
I retired and had to cut back on the toys, Harleys are gone and the C6 went as well. went without a vette for over a year and decided to get another one. Did not want to spend what it cost for a C5 or C6 so went with the c4. I like the car, it's fun to drive, good power, just so many squeeks and rattles for a car with only 48K miles on it. New tires on it, maybe I will try some shocks, but the car has the adjustable ride control, so I may not be able to change to just any shocks.
Old 08-21-2014, 08:02 AM
Little Red L98
Goon Squad BS Detector
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 428 Likes on 125 Posts
2018 C4 of the Year Winner
2017 C4 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '15, '17

Originally Posted by iridelow
I retired and had to cut back on the toys, Harleys are gone and the C6 went as well. went without a vette for over a year and decided to get another one. Did not want to spend what it cost for a C5 or C6 so went with the c4. I like the car, it's fun to drive, good power, just so many squeeks and rattles for a car with only 48K miles on it. New tires on it, maybe I will try some shocks, but the car has the adjustable ride control, so I may not be able to change to just any shocks.
I must have the only C4 ever made that doesn't rattle. It has 67K miles and the only squeak comes from the driver's seat leather, but that's only at certain temps.

Lucky me!
Old 08-21-2014, 08:33 AM
93 ragtop
Le Mans Master

Received 96 Likes on 82 Posts

[QUOTE=iridelow;1587627377]. I bought the car last month, 46K miles, Lt-1, 6 speed, very clean. Changed the oil, flushed the coolant, 4 new tires and hit the road. Top up and the car rattles and squeeks lime hell. Wind noise, feel most bumps and just not that fun. Wished I was in my truck. So, the c4 is fun to drive, top down, nice weather. Top up, bad weather, c4 not good! My past c5, and 2 c6's, were fun rain or shine. Sorry, but the c4 vette is a toy only, good weather, good roads, short trips. [/QUOTE]

Lets see, bought a 21 year old car, changed oil, coolant, and tires, Went on a long trip and found it rattles, squeeks, and leaks.
Who would have seen that coming!!
Old 08-21-2014, 11:37 AM
79C3tnd
Pro

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Lets see, bought a 21 year old car, changed oil, coolant, and tires, Went on a long trip and found it rattles, squeeks, and leaks.

Hmmm.... It is getting brutal here! But since you put it that way, I guess I have to agree...
Old 08-21-2014, 12:05 PM
WW7
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 318 Posts

My new pickup rides way softer then my Corvette, it's also so quiet inside the cab you can hear your heart beat...But, guess which vehicle I drive anytime I get a chance............If the thrills not there for you, sell it and get something else... ...WW

Last edited by WW7; 08-21-2014 at 12:11 PM.
Old 08-22-2014, 09:11 AM
iridelow
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Midnight 85
I just did over 1700 miles in my '85 coupe, running the Tail of the Dragon was part of that trip. I was tired when I got home, just like I would have been in our '13 Maxima or my '12 Silverado but I had one hell of a lot more fun in the Vette and I would do it again and most likely will. Sorry, maybe you're just not C4 material, but then apparently you're not C5 or C6 material either or you would have kept them.
C4 material........come on! I have owned one c3, three c4's, one c5 and two c6's. Also several other sports cars from mustangs, several Nissan "z" cars, BMW's including a "m" car, two Z-28's both with LT-1 motors and a few others over my life. My 87 vert did not rattle and squeak like my current 95 vert. and it had like 90k miles on it when I sold it. I have had the car checked out very well, good shocks, new tires and wheels, ball joints and everything is in great condition. It's the doors and seats that just plain squeak. It's like the seats are to close together with the doors and console leaving no room so the leather rubbs every time I hit a little bump in the road. I have tried treating the leather, vaseline on the touching areas but still squeaking all the time.
Old 08-22-2014, 09:26 AM
iridelow
Safety Car

Originally Posted by 93 ragtop
[QUOTE=iridelow;1587627377]. I bought the car last month, 46K miles, Lt-1, 6 speed, very clean. Changed the oil, flushed the coolant, 4 new tires and hit the road. Top up and the car rattles and squeeks lime hell. Wind noise, feel most bumps and just not that fun. Wished I was in my truck. So, the c4 is fun to drive, top down, nice weather. Top up, bad weather, c4 not good! My past c5, and 2 c6's, were fun rain or shine. Sorry, but the c4 vette is a toy only, good weather, good roads, short trips.

[/QUOTE]

obviously not you! 1995 corvette, 21 years old?, it's 2014, so I guess you cut math class when you were in school! Hey had to bark back!

Get notified of new replies

To 1000 mile trip in a c4, my opinion!

Old 08-22-2014, 10:32 AM
JrRifleCoach
Team Owner

St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by iridelow
obviously not you! 1995 corvette, 21 years old?, it's 2014, so I guess you cut math class when you were in school! Hey had to bark back!
His math may not be spot on, but you still don't get it.

Mileage is a measurement of wear.
Your car is almost twenty years old.

Time to start tightening those interior panels.
Old 08-22-2014, 10:37 AM
iridelow
Safety Car

Originally Posted by JrRifleCoach
His math may not be spot on, but you still don't get it.

Mileage is a measurement of wear.
Your car is almost twenty years old.

Time to start tightening those interior panels.
I just found my problem...I weigh 30 pounds more than I did when I had my last c4, so being fatter must be what causes the car seats and panels to squeak so much!
Old 08-22-2014, 11:14 AM
JrRifleCoach
Team Owner

OK

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1000 mile trip in a c4, my opinion!