C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Lowered C4's using Koni Sports

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2014, 06:04 PM
Hary Gahtoe
Drifting

Received 332 Likes on 219 Posts

Default Lowered C4's using Koni Sports

Checking to see who lowered their car used the externally adjustable Koni Sport shocks
C5 we used to have had almost the same pattern of shock action with low mile Bilstein's. Not happy with buying new Bilstein!s to get so so control. I want to lower the ride height but don't find it cost effective to go to coil overs to properly control this. The Koni's are meant for lowered height and they're also externally adjustable. I tried both General and tech forum with no luck. Chime in if you've used Koni or possibly QA1's
Thanks
Old 08-12-2014, 08:47 PM
l98tpi
Max G’s
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 73 Likes on 63 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

The primary function of shocks is to control compression and rebound of the springs during oscillation. So, just lowering a car may not create a need to change shocks. However, if you change spring rates, this is where it is beneficial to have adjustable shocks. Not saying adjustable shocks are not a benefit to stock suspensions, because they do allow you to fine tune to your particular driving style.

I have a modified suspension and the Koni Sports made a big difference. Love em.
Old 08-12-2014, 09:00 PM
peter_werkes
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How's the koni adjustablity? Do the konis just go from jello to brick stiff or is progressive because in trying to figure out what to put on the front of my car? I have the edelbrocks but I ain't like em because they don't take to bumps in the road very well as they make it feel floaty. Konis or bilsteins seem to be the choice in this matter but idk if the difference in price justifies the konis
Old 08-12-2014, 09:19 PM
whalepirot
Melting Slicks

Received 119 Likes on 108 Posts

Mine has been lowered for decades and I love revalved Bilsteins for absolute control and ride that is neither springy, reboundish nor teeth-rattling. Corvette Challenge specs are perfect for my aggressive street driving or cruising. this, with sotck Z51 springs and no rubber in the suspension.
Old 08-12-2014, 09:22 PM
l98tpi
Max G’s
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 73 Likes on 63 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by peter_werkes
How's the koni adjustablity? Do the konis just go from jello to brick stiff or is progressive because in trying to figure out what to put on the front of my car? I have the edelbrocks but I ain't like em because they don't take to bumps in the road very well as they make it feel floaty. Konis or bilsteins seem to be the choice in this matter but idk if the difference in price justifies the konis
The is a good range of adjustability. I have mine full firm to control rebound due to my high spring rates. I started out soft in the rear and it was bouncy. After setting to full firm, the bounce is gone and being on some courses that are bumpy, I don't have any loss of traction.

If you can adjust your shocks just try the firm setting and see what happens.
Old 08-12-2014, 09:45 PM
Hary Gahtoe
Drifting

Does anybody know if the (standard) C5 shocks can be made to fit/work on C4's ?
Old 08-13-2014, 12:08 AM
Hary Gahtoe
Drifting

I like the Koni's for the adjustability but try getting at the rear tops isn't easy to re do while making initial settings.
I really wish the Pfadt's weren't discontinued. Upside down shocks are are great for unsprung weight

I think my best option as of now is Bilstein Sports. There made for lowered ride height and a more controlled action of the heavy duty

http://cart.bilsteinus.com/product/24-011778/98181/RWD
Old 08-13-2014, 02:26 PM
GKK
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I just installed the Bilstein Z51 B8's, on my lowered 91 Vette with the FE1 standard front spring and it rides and handles Awesome!!!...

I decided on the Bilstein Z51 shocks because they are designed for lowered suspensions.
Old 08-14-2014, 03:11 AM
Hary Gahtoe
Drifting

Having had installed a set of Bilstein Sports on a lowered car I can't say I enjoyed the overall ride. It was slightly harsh over slow speed bumps and was noticeably loose at intermediate driving speeds. It just didn't feel confidence inspiring. But the rear would slightly wallow over freeway hollows and even more unsettled, rising up over sharp peaks.

On a brand new car I replaced the coilovers with Bilstein PSS9's That felt so much more controlled. It was designed to work with car and be owner adjustable to custom tailor the ride to fit personal driving style.
As of right now, Koni has the best ride quality. Too bad Koni FSD's aren't available.
More research will be helpful
Old 08-14-2014, 10:40 AM
GKK
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Hary Gahtoe
Having had installed a set of Bilstein Sports on a lowered car I can't say I enjoyed the overall ride. It was slightly harsh over slow speed bumps and was noticeably loose at intermediate driving speeds.
I don't know what kind of lowered car or suspension you installed the Bilsteins on but, on my lowered 91 Vette with the FE1 base springs and Bilstein (B8) Z51's, the ride over any speed bump is smooth with no scraping at all. My Vette's ride is tight and predictable in the corners and never harsh or loose.
Old 08-14-2014, 03:39 PM
Hary Gahtoe
Drifting

Originally Posted by GKK
I don't know what kind of lowered car or suspension you installed the Bilsteins on but, on my lowered 91 Vette with the FE1 base springs and Bilstein (B8) Z51's, the ride over any speed bump is smooth with no scraping at all. My Vette's ride is tight and predictable in the corners and never harsh or loose.
Your car may work perfectly fine for you but I'm sorry, I have no basis on which to measure that unless I drove your car.

The aforementioned car I used the Bilstein Sports on was a 03 Mercedes V8 CLK430 with an upraded AMG brake package package with 28k mi.
I'm not talking kids cars. I''m 59 and done more suspension swaps than I care to mention.
My basis I'm measuring off of right now is my stock 92. Which rides like a dump truck with a full load of gravel. It's actually in very good condition at 52k mi.
Here's why I feel Bilsteins are not that great. Again everyone has different takes on ride control
The 03 CLK430 Mercedes which I upgraded to Bilstein Sports; I wished I hadn't. Ride was fine for my Wives tastes but just wasn't what a Sport shock should be. Especially considering Bilstein is German

My 04 Mercedes SL500 (which is lowered 1.5/1.6 and has 20" Continentals) really is smooth. Controlled over highways dips/drops at speed.
Very easy to drive when cornering aggressively. (The front end doesn't get heavy or feel vague)

Our C5 Corvette was equipped with the optional driver select dampening and it was good but not great at speed. You could tell you were pushing the suspension at speeds >70 mph. It didn't feel controlled.
Bilsteins make work for you but put the test, I think for myself I'd feel it wouldn't be worth the time and definitely not worth the money
Old 08-14-2014, 07:39 PM
peter_werkes
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Having had installed a set of Bilstein Sports on a lowered car I can't say I enjoyed the overall ride. It was slightly harsh over slow speed bumps and was noticeably loose at intermediate driving speeds. It just didn't feel confidence inspiring. But the rear would slightly wallow over freeway hollows and even more unsettled, rising up over sharp peaks.

On a brand new car I replaced the coilovers with Bilstein PSS9's That felt so much more controlled. It was designed to work with car and be owner adjustable to custom tailor the ride to fit personal driving style.
As of right now, Koni has the best ride quality. Too bad Koni FSD's aren't available.
More research will be helpful
see, that's the exact problem I have with my edelbrock shocks. They are very harsh and solid at slow speed but has a very wallowy feel at higher speed, especially when the road isn't perfect. The car handles very nice on a smooth road but when it gets rough it feels down right scary.
Old 08-15-2014, 02:50 PM
Hary Gahtoe
Drifting

When a Company like Edelbrock or Bilstein advertises that they have a better shock i just wish they'd also state the product has major faults and it doesn't cure the problem most people bought new shocks for in the first place.

I've read way too many articles professing major improvements only too find out it didn't cure the major problem.
Not to sound OCD but this a major issue with the car. Ask those who(not own) sold a C4 and 9/10 will admit the ride was God awful.
This isn't Rocket science just good old fashioned calculation and effort.
I'm still in this for the long haul. I want and will get a decent ride setup.
Old 08-16-2014, 11:59 AM
GKK
Safety Car

Ask those who(not own) sold a C4 and 9/10 will admit the ride was God awful.
Ride Quality, is very subjective.....

When the C4 Corvettes were tested back in the day by the major car magazines, the suspension and handling were given very high marks from experienced test drivers.

The C4 Vette performs very well for what it was designed for. If you want your C4 Vette to ride and feel like todays modern sport cars, you'll be very disappointed.
Old 08-17-2014, 11:29 AM
Hary Gahtoe
Drifting

My goal isn't to outright change the overall ride just to refine it and make it more driver friendly.
I'm acutely aware that a C4 isn't modern by 2014 status or a German car, although many have very successfully set up there C4's handling for track and slalom. I like the fact an owner can if he chooses to set these cars up, to work extremely well which is precisely why I bought the car. I knew I was buying a Corvette. Particularly because it's American. Flaws included. It's inspiring to me.

Where I live is very adverse and punishing to suspension and shocks. We have a lot of elevation changes. Alot in short distances causing very high compression loads. Even our beloved I-5 Highway has big dips and drops along with short distance elevation drops,rises and downhill /uphill corners you don't find in places like California.
I'm researching monoleaf spring rates against the ones in our C4 to see what has/hasn't worked for others to help me with the cars ride.
Old 08-18-2014, 10:17 AM
rocco16
Race Director

Received 179 Likes on 131 Posts

I went from 50K mile Bilsteins (no wheel control over rough roads at speed) to Edelbrock (no wheel control at any time) to KONI Sports.

Before installing them, I set the KONI's at three "clicks" from Full Soft and have never changed them since (40K miles on them).
The KONI's look like they belong on a road grader....very agricultural....but boy do they work. I wouldn't mind trying the QA-1's to see if they are as effective as the Dutch units, though. The QA's are sure pretty.

Very happy with the KONI units and feel I can highly recommend them.
Old 08-21-2014, 12:07 AM
Hary Gahtoe
Drifting

Rocco;
Thanks for some insight. Good to know. I really appreciate the post.

I'm highly interested in QA1's also. I just don't want buy and install a full set of shocks then find out they only sort of work. I wish I would've known Bilstein Sports only work OK not good. I don't mind paying for a shock that works well under most disciplines not some.

FWIW; QA1 purchased Carrera so they do have DNA and are serious about suspension dynamics. Weather they build a shock that will quell the C4 suspension faults and do it well is the real question.

Thanks
Hary

Get notified of new replies

To Lowered C4's using Koni Sports

Quick Reply: Lowered C4's using Koni Sports