Race Director

Received 615 Likes on 494 Posts

Originally Posted by DinoBob
AC Delco for me.
Old 08-15-2014, 12:19 AM
Klondike
Race Director

Received 110 Likes on 89 Posts

A friend races a 460 Ford engine and insists on using a mechanical gauge over an electrical gauge because he says it reacts faster to pressure changes. (IDK) But he had to back out of the throttle a couple of times after fresh oil & Fram filter because the pressure kept dropping off. Replaced the Fram with a Wix and the problem was solved. Another friend blew a Fram up on his Boss 302. Lucky he was just sitting in the driveway and revved the engine. POW...oil everywhere! (FORDs.. Yes, I hang out on the dark side of the Force.. ) No Frams for me!
Old 08-15-2014, 07:09 AM
C4in mesa
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by John A. Marker
I use K&N filters. Then have a hex like nut on the base that makes it easy to use a wrench to get them off. If you do a little searching on the net (Amazon) you can you can find at a reasonable cost.

I too use K&N filters and have for going on 3 years now. However the clock is ticking on K&N oil filters made in the USA. They are nopw made in Mexico and the guts of them has changed. I saw a thread about K&N oil filters made in Mexico and side by side Mexican and American made the difference was clear. I have one in my garage and when it is gone I will have to switch to a different brand.
Old 08-15-2014, 12:36 PM
GKK
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

AC Delco, Purolator, WIX/NAPA Gold or Mobil 1 is what I use!...
Old 08-18-2014, 12:39 PM
N42375
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts

Another vote for WIX on my 1990
Old 08-18-2014, 07:27 PM
DGXR
Melting Slicks

Received 346 Likes on 300 Posts

Originally Posted by JrRifleCoach
How do you know this? Cause they said so?
The lowest-grade "standard" Mobil 1 filter is approved for 15,000-mile oil change intervals. Even the higher-end filters from brands such as Purolator (yellow can), Wix, NAPA (Gold), etc. are not approved for these extended intervals.

And I don't think Mobil 1 is the best filter, it's one of the best. There are others that are better.
Old 08-18-2014, 08:31 PM
PLRX
Team Owner

Received 501 Likes on 342 Posts
Co-winner 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified
2018 Corvette of Year Finalist
2017 C4 of Year
2016 C7 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20

Old 08-19-2014, 12:01 PM
wydopnthrtl
Drifting

Received 290 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by active1951
I always inspect top area very closely, no matter what brand...
Step 1.. always

The only filter I've ever seen blow was a fram on a SBC. Friend of mine had a new 355 w/a high flow oil pump. The fram blew on the first drive he took. He switched to a HP version fram and didn't have any problems.

Me personally, I use pure-o-later pure ones, AC delco, or motorcraft.
Old 08-21-2014, 12:08 PM
motorking
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by davewhtt
Has anyone ever had a oil filter fail/blow out? My 93 is stock and i just had a fram leak BAD. I got it off and its sitting in pan with 5 qts of mobile 1. Anyone have a favorite? This is a first for me. Im lucky it happened in my driveway i noticed it as i was backing out of carport.
Dave,
I am the technical director at FRAM. We would very much like to see and evaluate what happened to cause this issue.
Please call FRAM product evaluation at Prodeval@framgrp.com or call 888-889-8374. They will be happy to assist. GM is the only engine maker that puts the oil filter bypass in the engine block. It can stick closed and under certain circumstances cause issues with the filter, any brand of filter. There are also many misguided engine builders who block off this valve thinking it is a good idea to force all oil through the filter all the time. One reason we build a high flow bypass into our GM racing filters. Every engine maker in the world would disagree with that line of thought as all OE engine have a filter bypass in the block or filter. As far as the comments by the rest of you-
Mobil 1 filters are made by FRAM, AC Delco filters are made by FRAM, K+N filters used o be made by FRAM and are now made in korea. We make four different levels of filters, on corvettes you should be using a FRAM Ultra, pleated screen with two layers of full synthetic media, silicone ADBV, steel end caps, 99% filtration@ 20 microns. 9 bucks, for the best filter in the industry.
Old 08-21-2014, 12:27 PM
WW7
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by motorking
Dave,
I am the technical director at FRAM. We would very much like to see and evaluate what happened to cause this issue.
Please call FRAM product evaluation at Prodeval@framgrp.com or call 888-889-8374. They will be happy to assist. GM is the only engine maker that puts the oil filter bypass in the engine block. It can stick closed and under certain circumstances cause issues with the filter, any brand of filter. There are also many misguided engine builders who block off this valve thinking it is a good idea to force all oil through the filter all the time. One reason we build a high flow bypass into our GM racing filters. Every engine maker in the world would disagree with that line of thought as all OE engine have a filter bypass in the block or filter. As far as the comments by the rest of you-
Mobil 1 filters are made by FRAM, AC Delco filters are made by FRAM, K+N filters used o be made by FRAM and are now made in korea. We make four different levels of filters, on corvettes you should be using a FRAM Ultra, pleated screen with two layers of full synthetic media, silicone ADBV, steel end caps, 99% filtration@ 20 microns. 9 bucks, for the best filter in the industry.
So your saying your lower line of filters are junk and shouldn't be used on a Chevy small block?? That we have to spend $9.00 on a Fram filter to get one that won't either burst open or collapse when used...Why spend that much on your top of the line filter when we can buy a Wix or a Puralator Pure One for $6.00 and never have to worry about a failure of any kind..I have never heard anyone say, don't buy a Wix filter because it failed.. Check the net, it's full of people complaining about Fram filters failing..There are at least 4 or 5 independent reviews on line saying Fram is the worst filter out there,they cut them apart and examine them,so it doesn't get any more up close then that......Is everyone else wrong??...WW

Last edited by WW7; 08-21-2014 at 12:36 PM.
Old 08-21-2014, 12:38 PM
motorking
Cruising

Originally Posted by WW7
So your saying your lower line of filters are junk and shouldn't be used on a Chevy small block?? That we have to spend $9.00 on a Fram filter to get one that won't either bust open or collapse when used...Why spend that much on your top of the line filter when we can buy a Wix or a Puralator Pure One for $6.00 and never have to worry about a failure of any kind..I have never heard anyone say don't buy a Wix filter because it failed.. Check the net, it's full of people complaining about Fram filters failing..There are at least 4 or 5 independent reviews on line saying Fram is the worst filter out there....Is everyone else wrong??...WW
Hardly what I am saying at all. First off, if FRAM was so bad then why would GM, Ford, Honda and Subaru, Mercury Marine use them as their OE supplier? Would companies like Royal Purple and Mobil1 use us for manufacturing?
Secondly, our standard filter is 95.7% efficient@20 microns, WIX is around 85%. Purolator? google tearolator for a minute or go to www.bobistheoilguy.com and see pictures of Puro's with tears in the media? Read up on FRAM Tough Guard and Ultra on the same forum. My statement was if you want the best filter in the market, use Ultra. Do some research and stop swallowing the tribal knowledge on the internet. Some dude cutting open filters and making comment hardly tells you anything about filtration performance.
Old 08-21-2014, 12:43 PM
motorking
Cruising

Originally Posted by WW7
So your saying your lower line of filters are junk and shouldn't be used on a Chevy small block?? That we have to spend $9.00 on a Fram filter to get one that won't either burst open or collapse when used...Why spend that much on your top of the line filter when we can buy a Wix or a Puralator Pure One for $6.00 and never have to worry about a failure of any kind..I have never heard anyone say, don't buy a Wix filter because it failed.. Check the net, it's full of people complaining about Fram filters failing..There are at least 4 or 5 independent reviews on line saying Fram is the worst filter out there,they cut them apart and examine them,so it doesn't get any more up close then that......Is everyone else wrong??...WW
Here is little reading for you if you really thing Purolator is so good. this is one of many strings were the filter media tears and just allows unfiltered oil into the engine
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...pics/3459920/1
Old 08-21-2014, 01:04 PM
WW7
Le Mans Master

Hardly what I am saying at all. First off, if FRAM was so bad then why would GM, Ford, Honda and Subaru, Mercury Marine use them as their OE supplier? Would companies like Royal Purple and Mobil1 use us for manufacturing?
Secondly, our standard filter is 95.7% efficient@20 microns, WIX is around 85%. Purolator? google tearolator for a minute or go to www.bobistheoilguy.com and see pictures of Puro's with tears in the media? Read up on FRAM Tough Guard and Ultra on the same forum. My statement was if you want the best filter in the market, use Ultra. Do some research and stop swallowing the tribal knowledge on the internet. Some dude cutting open filters and making comment hardly tells you anything about filtration performance.
Car manufactures and automotive companies will use whatever filter they get the best price on, "Period"... If 5 companys put in a bid , and yours is the cheapest, they go with you.. I wrote bids for a major manufacture for many years so I know how it works...By the way, the Purolator "Pure One" is 99.9% efficent, at a little over half the cost of your Fram Ultra..As far as swallowing the tribal knowledge on the net, a person would have to be blind, to not see the overwhelming evidence presented by individuals and reputable reviewers that have evaluated your filters and found them lacking..There are just to many examples everywhere for me to believe the smoke your trying to blow up my butt....WW

Last edited by WW7; 08-21-2014 at 09:40 PM.
Old 08-21-2014, 01:14 PM
WW7
Le Mans Master

Here is little reading for you if you really thing Purolator is so good. this is one of many strings were the filter media tears and just allows unfiltered oil into the engine
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...pics/3459920/1
So you hunted around and found "ONE" guy that had a problem with a Purolator filter,"Congratulations",, there are 9 examples on just this one single thread alone where the guys have had problems with Fram filters...Don't try to justify your stance by digging up one or two examples of problems with other filter brands...Hell, even if you look up "problems with Purolator filters" on the net, you still get a bunch of examples of "Fram filter problems" ....Give it a try and see....WW

Im finished talking,,go peddle your "crazy" somewhere else, we're all filled up here...

Last edited by WW7; 08-21-2014 at 03:07 PM.
Old 08-21-2014, 01:17 PM
active1951
Instructor

Dave,
Very interesting. Thanks for your info and your time.
Old 08-21-2014, 02:19 PM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Different grades of all parts out there.

You can get a Gates hose at your local auto parts and can see how cheap of quality it is. If you know someone who runs a mom and pop pts store you can order the higher quality (same brand) ones that last;same with belts, etc etc.

Ill pay 10 bux over 5 for a good filter to protect an expensive motor any day. BUT it better be truly good quality internally. I dont care what brand it is.

Get notified of new replies

To Oil filters

Old 08-21-2014, 02:27 PM
aDigitalPhantom
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I have not had an oil filter blow out. I have had one leak after removing the oil filter adapter, and failing to notice the seal was stuck on the block.

I use NAPA Gold filters, and stock up on them during the filter sales.
Old 08-21-2014, 08:01 PM
JrRifleCoach
Team Owner

Location: Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction.
Received 640 Likes on 444 Posts
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

I am the technical director at FRAM.
Well, hello!
After all these years, what has prompted you to surface now?
If you are whom you claim to be? Which I doubt since your location is " detroit micgigan"
A real vendor would not present himself otherwise

Last edited by JrRifleCoach; 08-21-2014 at 08:09 PM.
Old 08-21-2014, 08:54 PM
aDigitalPhantom
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by JrRifleCoach
Well, hello!
After all these years, what has prompted you to surface now?
If you are whom you claim to be? Which I doubt since your location is " detroit micgigan"
A real vendor would not present himself otherwise

I think you are correct, I wonder how we call this phone number?

Please call FRAM product evaluation at Prodeval@framgrp.com...

Quick Reply: Oil filters