Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

New C4 owner crisis

Old 08-04-2014, 12:19 AM
SteinmanD
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New C4 owner crisis

Driving my newly purchased C4 home on the interstate when I suddenly heard whistling overhead from the roof glass which was detaching from the T-top frame. Before I could pull over the glass flew off and barely missed the car my wife was driving behind me. Can anyone tell me what, if anything, might have come off with the glass and whether repair is possible vs purchase of an entire T-top.
Old 08-04-2014, 03:57 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,254 Likes on 2,017 Posts

The year of car here would help. There are a couple options so long as you have a good frame that stayed with the car. Used might be the least expensive.

Old 08-04-2014, 06:23 AM
HlhnEast
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Dave put the pic in to identify which harware is on your top. Some tops can be adapted but its best to keep in the same year grouping.

Good luck!
Old 08-04-2014, 09:01 AM
corvetteronw
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 247 Likes on 200 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VIII
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

Check with your insurance company. They may pay for part of a new or used one.
They do come up on eBay from time to time or you could Google Corvette salvage yards. I like the service from Vette2Vette in Streator, IL.
I hope your wife is not saying, "I told you so" about buying an old car.

Old 08-04-2014, 02:39 PM
Tavik
Heel & Toe

For those folks out there with the removable glass roof, mine was missing sealant between the screws in front and the air was coming in. It was cool with me because I knocked 1500 off the price. I removed the top, fliped it over, bottom side up, cut all of the black silicone off of the front, used a carpenter's pencil (on the back side) to lift up the plastic a little bit, glued the glass to the plastic with a bit of loctite go2glue, put a c clamp on it for a couple hours with cardboard between the clamp and the top (Just snug, do not break the glass), then I replaced the black silicone, with new black silicone and smoothed it out. Let it dry for 24 hours, and I have driven it at maximum highway speeds in the rain without issues....The repair cost me $7.73.
Old 08-04-2014, 02:57 PM
CurveLover
Intermediate

Originally Posted by SteinmanD
Driving my newly purchased C4 home on the interstate when I suddenly heard whistling overhead from the roof glass which was detaching from the T-top frame. Before I could pull over the glass flew off and barely missed the car my wife was driving behind me. Can anyone tell me what, if anything, might have come off with the glass and whether repair is possible vs purchase of an entire T-top.
The same exact thing just happened to me, literally on the drive home after buying the car. Lucky my buddy who was following me didn't get my acrylic top through his windshield! It went over his car.

But chances are, that the acrylic just came off the frame, like on mine, and so your frame is likely all intact and still bolted into the cab. So your options are:

1) remove the frame complete, and have a new acrylic top put on it (about $300.00 or so, and there are services you can find on EBAY that do this) or-

2) keep or sell your frame and buy a new or used hard top. (I chose this option #2 after some research on these forums. The fiberglass hard top offers some advantages, like stiffening up the car, less rattles, and blocking the sun, keeping it cooler and preserving the interior better.)

And oh, look for a torx wrench that fits the roof bolts in the rear of your center console between the seats.
Old 08-04-2014, 06:43 PM
SteinmanD
3rd Gear

Discussed with Corvette World USA this a.m. Sounds like only the glass and two gaskets are missing. Sent for a replacement roof via them/Melrose ($1300). Hoping to get some of that back as a core via the intact frame.
Old 08-04-2014, 06:44 PM
SteinmanD
3rd Gear

It's an '85.
Old 08-04-2014, 07:28 PM
hooked073
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's an '85.
Do your self a favor and follow in install precedure to a tee if they are not included with the glass look it up on line it is not as simple as bloting the new one on. Please trust me on this it will save you in the long run maybe save your new top
Old 08-05-2014, 05:39 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,254 Likes on 2,017 Posts

It's an '85.
You want to confirm the mounting configuration on yours as it is now. It could have been changed previously and it wouldn't be fun to receive a top that wasn't a 'bolt-on'. The frame needs to come off anyway so it might as well be 'before' you order.

Get notified of new replies

To New C4 owner crisis

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New C4 owner crisis