C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

1988 auto trans

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2014, 04:18 AM
Tommycourt
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 1988 auto trans

This may sound silly but since this is my first Vette and I have a transmission question: Were all automatic transmissions on the the 88 a "Doug Nash" transmission. I don't have any light on mine (on the dash or anywhere else) that tells me I am in OD. Usually if I am town driving I put my gear into D (having to push the button down to do so) but when I am on the freeway, I push it up to the OD. Now is that a Doug Nash or it is a normal 4 speed automatic? The trans dipstick is located behind the engine dipstick and I have assumed it was basically an R700. Am I wrong? Please inform this idiot!!!
Tommy
Old 07-30-2014, 04:44 AM
gerardvg
Melting Slicks

Received 188 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by Tommycourt
This may sound silly but since this is my first Vette and I have a transmission question: Were all automatic transmissions on the the 88 a "Doug Nash" transmission. I don't have any light on mine (on the dash or anywhere else) that tells me I am in OD. Usually if I am town driving I put my gear into D (having to push the button down to do so) but when I am on the freeway, I push it up to the OD. Now is that a Doug Nash or it is a normal 4 speed automatic? The trans dipstick is located behind the engine dipstick and I have assumed it was basically an R700. Am I wrong? Please inform this idiot!!!
Tommy
Turbo 700 R4
They changed to the fully electronic 4L60E in 92 or 93 i believe.
Old 07-30-2014, 02:18 PM
Hot Rod Roy
Safety Car

Received 536 Likes on 453 Posts

The Doug Nash transmissions are a four speed stick shift (with clutch pedal) and an overdrive unit bolted to the back of the four speed trans.

Welcome to the forum!

Old 07-30-2014, 10:08 PM
Tommycourt
Racer

Originally Posted by Hot Rod Roy
The Doug Nash transmissions are a four speed stick shift (with clutch pedal) and an overdrive unit bolted to the back of the four speed trans.

Welcome to the forum!

Thanks Roy,
I have heard so many bad things about it and wasn't sure as Vettes are new to me. I really appreciate your reply.
Tommy
Old 07-30-2014, 11:23 PM
C4in mesa
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

I'm not sure why the Doug Nash transmission is regarded as such a bad transmission ? I would rather not find out why. My 700R4 is pretty strong and with the shift kit it's even better.
Old 07-30-2014, 11:33 PM
Tommycourt
Racer

Originally Posted by C4in mesa
I'm not sure why the Doug Nash transmission is regarded as such a bad transmission ? I would rather not find out why. My 700R4 is pretty strong and with the shift kit it's even better.
C4in mesa,
I don't know but after riding in yours, I sure don't need a 4 speed!!! And I wanted to thank you again for the shift indicator. I took it over and they managed to re-use mine. It was like you said, it had come out of the groove or whatever it sits in. So holler if you need that indicator as I put it in my tool box in the shop and it's already painted. But it's yours and whenever you need it, you know where it's at. Talk at you later buddy.
Take care!!!
Tommy
Old 07-31-2014, 01:56 AM
65Z01
Team Owner

Received 300 Likes on 274 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Usually if I am town driving I put my gear into D (having to push the button down to do so) but when I am on the freeway, I push it up to the OD.
In normal driving, town & highway, I always just use OD.
I only use D for 1/4 mile runs because I don't want it to upshift when I have to play the big end.
I've been on a few Corvette cruizes through the local tight twisties where I ran in 2 for great torque, braking and responsiveness.

Get notified of new replies

To 1988 auto trans

Quick Reply: 1988 auto trans