C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

1055's smashed up, free 'vette hot/rat rod build

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2014, 08:19 PM
MavsAK
Melting Slicks

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by 1055
I appreciate your concerns and gripes. The car was "totaled". meaning that to get it back to where it needs to be would be way more expensive than what Its worth. My options are tube front end (as I'd have to chop a good section of the frame) and If you've ever built a tube frame.. it gets spendy quickly if you do it right.

plus, Merica.
Just doing paintwork on these cars is more than what the car is worth half the time if the paint job's decent quality.

Using what a C4's $ worth as a reference point is kinda iffy in my book. If you love the car, you love the car.
Go tube chassis, and put a new front end on that. (yes that's alot of bracket work) or maybe go with an aftermarket body kit. There's some nice looking ones for the C4, when done right.

You're already going through the pain and effort, why not do it the rest of the way?
Old 07-28-2014, 08:58 PM
TerryOlson
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I get the attraction to doing something different but it has to be cool when you're done, no matter how different it is. There are a TON of things you can do with what's left of the car, but I don't think most will "get" where you're going with it right now. Do you care? The fact that you've solicited opinions and you've jousted with those who don't like the idea suggests that you do, but maybe I'm wrong - just thinking out loud, not a criticism.

If it were me, I'd find a cool V8 transplant project, but something totally different - 1961 Volvo Wagon kind of different. There must be about a thousand options along these lines and you'll end up with something that's different AND cool. Just my two cents - do whatever makes you happy.
Old 07-28-2014, 09:19 PM
MavsAK
Melting Slicks

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Could just use the suspension, and powertrain from this car into a hotrod of your choice too.
Old 07-28-2014, 09:21 PM
JrRifleCoach
Team Owner

Location: Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction.
Received 639 Likes on 443 Posts
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

I, I, I just can't subscribe to chopping up a C4.
Nor carburating.

Always said we need another section for hacks or a link to the Fbody forums.

Old 07-28-2014, 11:43 PM
Patsgarage
Team Owner

Received 1,596 Likes on 1,074 Posts

It is your car, do what you want. I really do not see a huge demand for a totaled 85 vette, as you said to bring it back to stock would cost 3-4 times what the car is worth. I will say a rat rod vette is not exactly my thing, but it may turn out better than I think. The front suspension would look pretty bada$$ out in the open, same with the rear if you could do it like a T-bucket with a trunk.
Old 07-29-2014, 01:28 AM
Tommycourt
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Food for thought only: The TPI is not that bad of an engine and the tranny is a good one. If you could salvage the drive train, it would make an excellent transplant on a mid to late 1940's coupe of sedan. Most guys who are building rods today (except for a few) would prefer a lower powered car and have the other amenities such as the tranny and driveline and the engine if not wasted. A lot of things you can do but YOU are the one who does the work and has to be happy when done. MHO!
Tommy
Old 07-29-2014, 09:37 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MavsAK
Just doing paintwork on these cars is more than what the car is worth half the time if the paint job's decent quality.

Using what a C4's $ worth as a reference point is kinda iffy in my book. If you love the car, you love the car.
Go tube chassis, and put a new front end on that. (yes that's alot of bracket work) or maybe go with an aftermarket body kit. There's some nice looking ones for the C4, when done right.

You're already going through the pain and effort, why not do it the rest of the way?
So my major concern is that the car was "totaled" and I brought in to CT from out of state. In order to register the car, It already needs a vin verification/inspection. CT has this little ordeal called "composite title" Which you can use when building a kit car, replicar or If the vehicle has been altered beyond its original body to be mostly unrecognizable at a glance I'm currently operating under the pretense that I will have to submit it through composite titling to get it back on the road. This means hot rod, or part the car out. A rebuilt inspection and re-certification for the road process will take close to if not more than two years. and 9/10 they make you fix things during the inspection (I.e. if the car doesnt have a working radio, or a wire harness is routed incorrectly it wont pass) If you get sent home, you wait another 6-8 months for another inspection appointment.

Meanwhile a composite title inspection takes about 2 months and they check things like brake balance, suspension integrity, fluid leaks and lights. Welcome to the peoples republic of Konnecticut.

Originally Posted by TerryOlson
I get the attraction to doing something different but it has to be cool when you're done, no matter how different it is. There are a TON of things you can do with what's left of the car, but I don't think most will "get" where you're going with it right now. Do you care? The fact that you've solicited opinions and you've jousted with those who don't like the idea suggests that you do, but maybe I'm wrong - just thinking out loud, not a criticism.

If it were me, I'd find a cool V8 transplant project, but something totally different - 1961 Volvo Wagon kind of different. There must be about a thousand options along these lines and you'll end up with something that's different AND cool. Just my two cents - do whatever makes you happy.
I love the Idea of a cross platform transplant. If I had my druthers I'd be searching for a mazda rx2/rx3 or datsun 210 wagon to transplant to. I dont have that capability now. As I mentioned in the OP, Wife and I are in the process of buying another house, which we will undoubtedly sink $$$$ into in the name of updating. thus, blowing my expense budget for anything that could potentially be "show worthy"

Originally Posted by MavsAK
Could just use the suspension, and powertrain from this car into a hotrod of your choice too.
Originally Posted by JrRifleCoach
I, I, I just can't subscribe to chopping up a C4.
Nor carburating.

Always said we need another section for hacks or a link to the Fbody forums.

I see your hack statement and raise you a new vocabulary word. Shitted. (because swear filter, its another word for poop, with ted on the end) Its been used as of late to describe the majority of my projects. They're all function over form and tend to be haggard and hard. Sacrificing looks and finesse for raw performance and function.

Originally Posted by Patsgarage
It is your car, do what you want. I really do not see a huge demand for a totaled 85 vette, as you said to bring it back to stock would cost 3-4 times what the car is worth. I will say a rat rod vette is not exactly my thing, but it may turn out better than I think. The front suspension would look pretty bada$$ out in the open, same with the rear if you could do it like a T-bucket with a trunk.
If It was a later C4 I wouldnt be so ready to "molest" it. But I've always seen the L98 as the red headed step child. It takes way more money relative to other motors to get anything decent out of it. Average c4 weighs what.. 3200lbs? say I can scrap 400lbs out of it. now im at 2800lbs and 230hp isnt as meh. Maybe some plenum port matching, long tube headers, a mild cam and some 1.6:1 rockers with appropriate valve train components and say maybe 280hp? To use vehicles I'm familiar with (two of my own..) MY miata has a power to weight ratio of 18lbs:1hp. My wrx is right around 8.5:1. Having the vette fall somewhere in between there I'm sure will be more than enough for a smile or two.

Im not sure where im going with this. I got sidetracked from my original train of thought I guess I'm saying that im not shooting for a performance vehicle, but it may inherently end up having decent performance.

Originally Posted by Tommycourt
Food for thought only: The TPI is not that bad of an engine and the tranny is a good one. If you could salvage the drive train, it would make an excellent transplant on a mid to late 1940's coupe of sedan. Most guys who are building rods today (except for a few) would prefer a lower powered car and have the other amenities such as the tranny and driveline and the engine if not wasted. A lot of things you can do but YOU are the one who does the work and has to be happy when done. MHO!
Tommy
There are a ton of mid 40's and 50's sedans and coupe available for sale locally here in less than desirable condition. I think it should be noted that Whatever I do to this car doesnt mean that down the road I cant still take the powertrain out of it when I get bored/want something different. I also have a 355 currently under the knife at the machine shop and a worldclass t5 in my basement. coupling the two of them together would make for a formidable/ potent power plant for a later build.
Old 07-29-2014, 12:31 PM
JrRifleCoach
Team Owner

Location: Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction.
Received 639 Likes on 443 Posts
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

"I see your hack statement and raise you a new vocabulary word. Shitted. (because swear filter, its another word for poop, with ted on the end) Its been used as of late to describe the majority of my projects. They're all function over form and tend to be haggard and hard. Sacrificing looks and finesse for raw performance and function."

Sorry but when it comes to hacking/cutting up a Corvette, I could really care less about what your doing or how artistic you feel it is.

Like the man once said, I didn't build this for your approval.
But that doesn't mean I won't let you know how I feel about disgracing a Corvette.

This forum is not about rat rodding.
Old 07-29-2014, 01:22 PM
chatham
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by JrRifleCoach
This forum is not about rat rodding.

i'll say it again, why are you posting here? you want to build a rat rod go there and discuss it. if you want to fix the vette then the guys here can be very helpful. but it sure seems like you're stuck on rattin a corvette. perhaps you're here just to jerk some chains....
Old 07-29-2014, 01:40 PM
N227GB
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16-'17-'18,'19-'20,'23

Originally Posted by Patsgarage
The front suspension would look pretty bada$$ out in the open,

That's one cool thing about C4s is that the front suspension components are visible with the hood open. With this project in essence, all that can be shown off while the car is going down the road. I like that!
Old 07-29-2014, 01:49 PM
ch@0s
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

You know what, its not mine, You want to build it..so do it, maybe you will prove me wrong and I will like it.

BTW I like miatas..that one is hideous because someone tried to make it look like something its not.

You want to do something different. Ck this out for reference.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c4-g...28-c4-mgb.html

Last edited by ch@0s; 07-29-2014 at 02:02 PM.
Old 07-29-2014, 04:59 PM
Patsgarage
Team Owner

Received 1,596 Likes on 1,074 Posts

Originally Posted by chatham
i'll say it again, why are you posting here? you want to build a rat rod go there and discuss it. if you want to fix the vette then the guys here can be very helpful. but it sure seems like you're stuck on rattin a corvette. perhaps you're here just to jerk some chains....
So a car that is all Vette underneath but not on the outside is not a Vette ? From what it sounds like to me the OP is just going to scrap what is already thrashed (the body) and keep the rest. Nobody else here has dumped the A/C and cruise in the name of weight savings ? So all the guys with dedicated track cars should go somewhere else for advice as well ? I always think of myself as a car guy first, a Vette guy second.
Old 07-29-2014, 07:19 PM
ChiliPepperGarage
Melting Slicks

Received 600 Likes on 316 Posts

Having built and owned many "real" hot rods as well as a bunch of Vettes I'll give you my 2 cents.

Just because it's different doesn't mean it's cool or aesthetically pleasing. Cobbing up the car will result in a... well, a cobbed up car. Half hot rod / half late model. That Miata looks stupid to me (and I've owned Miatas too). Like the builder couldn't figure out what he wanted.

I'd be inclined to build something the an Exocet:

http://www.flyinmiata.com/exocet/

Tube frame with or without bodywork. Light weight and a blast to drive.

Or this!

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c4-g...90-hmmmmm.html

Last edited by ChiliPepperGarage; 07-29-2014 at 07:36 PM.
Old 07-29-2014, 10:22 PM
ghoastrider1
Le Mans Master

Received 265 Likes on 240 Posts

your saying the insurance folks simply said they didn't want it and for your mil just to keep the car? They wanted a bunch for my s-10 that was totaled. Cant see why they wouldn't want a vette.
Old 07-29-2014, 10:26 PM
PLRX
Team Owner

Received 501 Likes on 342 Posts
Co-winner 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified
2018 Corvette of Year Finalist
2017 C4 of Year
2016 C7 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20

Old 07-30-2014, 07:31 AM
DinoBob
Melting Slicks

Received 363 Likes on 206 Posts

It's your time and money but the end product would be a laughingstock, IMO. I would just pull the drivetrain and look for someone else's unfinished rod project to stick it in.
Old 07-30-2014, 08:55 AM
1993C4LT1
Race Director

Received 612 Likes on 492 Posts

to PLRX

Get notified of new replies

To 1055's smashed up, free 'vette hot/rat rod build

Old 07-30-2014, 10:52 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ChiliPepperGarage
Having built and owned many "real" hot rods as well as a bunch of Vettes I'll give you my 2 cents.

Just because it's different doesn't mean it's cool or aesthetically pleasing. Cobbing up the car will result in a... well, a cobbed up car. Half hot rod / half late model. That Miata looks stupid to me (and I've owned Miatas too). Like the builder couldn't figure out what he wanted.

I'd be inclined to build something the an Exocet:

Tube frame with or without bodywork. Light weight and a blast to drive.

Or this!

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c4-g...90-hmmmmm.html

Im on my third miata I would love to build an exocet.. but I dont think its cost effective. For the same money, I'd rather build a super 7 replicar.

Again, I think what everyone here is forgetting is budget. I'm not doing this for anyone here.. I'm doing this as a challenge to myself. Yanno, Like hobbies used to be. Salvage something thats essentially reached the end of its life for another purpose.

Why is everyone here so ready to toss the remaining bits? do you guys really believe that the drive train is that potent? Is there some sort of C4 corvettes are the greatest platform in the world cult I'm not aware of? I'm a bit confused.. people saying save the car, use the drivetrain. They're not the same thing..

I came here expecting flak about the project, I didn't expect to be greeted with a somewhat narrow minded mentality.

As someone mentioned before.. I'm a car guy first, and I appreciate hard work, blood, sweat, tears and the work people put into their cars to make them their own... even if their tastes aren't remotely close to my own If you're against this project, Fine. I invite you to stick around and watch the disaster unfold. share the links with your friends and laugh about it over beers

Fair warning, I tend to build some pretty ugly cars. But I like them, and thats what matters to me.
Old 07-30-2014, 10:59 AM
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ghoastrider1
your saying the insurance folks simply said they didn't want it and for your mil just to keep the car? They wanted a bunch for my s-10 that was totaled. Cant see why they wouldn't want a vette.
They did.. but it took 9 months to settle and she wasn't exactly pleasant for them dealing with her. Sure, they probably had a salvage value associated with the claim, hidden in the payout. but they represented it as keep the car and here's some money.
Old 07-30-2014, 11:12 AM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

I think many here feel that a "shitted" 'Vette as you said above, is sacrilege. Or at least that the outcome won't be worth the sacrifice of a decent, currently reparable car. RIght now, the car looks like it needs a hood, front bumper assy, and maybe a little massaging of the front frame horns? That is "repairable", IMO.

OTOH, AS a "Car guy" AND a "Vette fan, I see potential in this project to show case the C4's aesthetic virtues; the forged aluminum suspension, the mag valve coves and sexy TPI intake....with throttle plates exposed! (using speed density) Polished intake and TB, anodized throttle blades, minimize the hoses and "clutter", put a cool looking accessory drive....it could be "the best of C4", all out in the open and easy to see. A smaller/shorter radiator would cover some of the ugly stuff (k-member, pullies, power steering etc), provide cooling and a "front of car"...maybe use a fabricated aluminum radiator to keep w/the later model/techy theme of the C4?

OTOH, if the goal is to make the firewall forward look like weird T-bucket and then a steampunk C4 from the Firewall back...I agree w/others here. Yuck.

What is cool about "rat rods" (to me) is that your'e in touch with and exposed to "the mechanism" -you can see and touch everything. Same reason steam locomotives turn me on...the connecting rods are right in front of you, as one example. The C4 has a plethora of cool features, architecture, and "mechanism" already. exploit that and it could be kind of cool. Try to turn it into a steampunk/T-bucket though and it will be a fail in I'd say, most people's opinion.

Good luck w/what ever you do.

Last edited by Tom400CFI; 07-30-2014 at 11:14 AM.

Quick Reply: 1055's smashed up, free 'vette hot/rat rod build