C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

pictures of interior electrical ground locations

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2014, 05:47 AM
hcbph
Safety Car

Received 526 Likes on 476 Posts

Default pictures of interior electrical ground locations

Spent some time working on the Vette (86 Convertible) over the weekend. One thing I had planned to do was clean the electrical grounds on the interior kick panels. After about a half hour of looking for them with a mirror and light (having dropped the hush panels) I came up blank.
Anyone have any pictures of where they are exactly? Do you have to pull the door sill and peel the carpet or what? It's hard to get around in there due to an old back injury so any info is appreciated.
Thanks
Old 07-29-2014, 02:02 AM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 341 Likes on 312 Posts

The grounds are located right above where the dash brace attaches.

Last edited by Cliff Harris; 09-10-2014 at 10:33 PM.
Old 07-29-2014, 05:16 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,255 Likes on 2,018 Posts

I'm surprised Cliff didn't supply his image of the right side ground but here's a link to the component view of an '87 for the right side (G125) and I also don't recall seeing an image for the left but it's maybe in a similar location on the pillar as the right:

http://temp.corvetteforum.net/c4/joh...ics/8a2017.jpg

Here's a fellows description of location for an '85 on the left side:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/1567753721-post8.html

Grounding locations are done by "zones" in FSM's and the sequence numbers of these two locations being so similar in location don't share the same zone. LH is G201 and with no images in any FSM component views may be somewhat random. I've never needed to look!

I believe I've seen it mentioned a few times that it required the removal of the left door/rocker sill trim. If I found a black wire by itself going behind the LH sill I'd likely cut the damn thing and move it to a more accessible location on the LH pillar BUT only if I had a problem with the cluster that reportedly uses that G201 ground.

Last edited by WVZR-1; 07-29-2014 at 05:47 AM.
Old 07-29-2014, 06:24 AM
hcbph
Safety Car

Received 526 Likes on 476 Posts

Default Thanks

Thanks much, looks like I'm going to have to do some carpet peeling. I have the Blue FSM and I've spent a could of evenings going through it and have yet to find any images or pictures of where they are.
Old 07-29-2014, 06:57 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,255 Likes on 2,018 Posts

Originally Posted by hcbph
Thanks much, looks like I'm going to have to do some carpet peeling. I have the Blue FSM and I've spent a could of evenings going through it and have yet to find any images or pictures of where they are.
Blue cover? Is it a Helm ST-364-86? I don't recall "blue" FSM's but there certainly could have been. If it were Helm I'm quite sure in '86 it was a two book package. If only a single book package the electrical would have been in the rear of the book after section 10. Book 2 would be ST-364-86 EDM if a two book volume. Whose is yours if not Helm?

Get notified of new replies

To pictures of interior electrical ground locations

Quick Reply: pictures of interior electrical ground locations