C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Thoughts on convertible hard top

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2014, 03:59 AM
Tommycourt
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Thoughts on convertible hard top

I have an 88 convertible and was thinking about putting a hard top conversion on it. Smooth Line offers one for approx. $1500 and Ecklers is about $1795. Living in Az the sun takes it toll on paint and tops. My present top is in good shape however time will take it's toll even though I keep it in the garage. Has anyone had any experience with these tops?
Also I believe Ecklers stated you need to find some later model B pillar mounts while Smooth Line states theirs comes complete with all mounting brackets and rubber gaskets. Any feedback would be appreciated. BTW, Smooth Line comes in white which is my desired color and Ecklers would have to be painted which would add another $200 to my cost.
Thanks for your input.
Tommy
Old 07-28-2014, 11:55 PM
Patsgarage
Team Owner

Received 1,596 Likes on 1,074 Posts

I can't offer any advice on the two tops that you mentioned, but I do run a factory hardtop on my 89 during the winter months. It does tighten the car up noticeably, and road noise is decreased as well. You do loose most of your already limited storage space behind the seats, mostly because you cannot lift the top cover to load stuff. Check ebay for used factory tops, I found mine in the same color, with all the brackets (very important), just two hours away for only $1,000.
Old 07-29-2014, 01:04 AM
Tommycourt
Racer

Originally Posted by Patsgarage
I can't offer any advice on the two tops that you mentioned, but I do run a factory hardtop on my 89 during the winter months. It does tighten the car up noticeably, and road noise is decreased as well. You do loose most of your already limited storage space behind the seats, mostly because you cannot lift the top cover to load stuff. Check ebay for used factory tops, I found mine in the same color, with all the brackets (very important), just two hours away for only $1,000.
Thank you for your response. I noticed that now, with the top being up, I have very little space the way it is. It's even hard to get my 2 chairs in behind the seat to take to car shows. I am not in a hurry as my original top is still good if you can believe that. The previous owner was pretty meticulous taking car of the car. Can the brackets be made and if so, do you have to drill into the body to mount it? This is my first Vette and the first time I have ever owned a convert. so this is all new to me.
Tommy
Old 07-29-2014, 01:35 AM
Patsgarage
Team Owner

You could probably have the brackets made, but I would look for a complete set for sale. Some vendors may still carry them. No drilling is required, the top mounts into the windshield header w/ bolts, and the brackets mount behind the doors. Pull back your carpet and you should see 3 holes per side, 2 vertical and 1 horizontal.
Old 07-29-2014, 09:32 AM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

The 88's didn't have the convertible hardtop available. That option (RPO CC2) started in 1989.

So in addition to the two steel mounting brackets that would bolt to both the hardtop and body, you will need to fabricate plates that will have to be welded to the inside of the B-pillars. These plates will need threaded holes that will line up with the top mounting brackets. Some years ago, there were kits available that had that custom plate that could be welded on, but there were still other mods that had to be made.

The latches on the decklid may not be compatible with the pins and attaching bolts found on the rear of the factory hardtop. You may have to swap those out for later latches. The hardtop locating pins have a small bolt that screws into a nut on the bottom of the latch.

Also, the windshield header upper mounting brackets may be different as GM used a different design between 88 and 89 cars (just like they changed the coupe targa mounting brackets using three different designs).

It will take some effort (and cost) to be able to mount a factory hardtop to an early C4 'vert. The Smoothline top may be a better choice in terms of easy mounting, but it will not add any stiffness to the car. It's simply a unpainted shell that provides a different look.
Old 07-29-2014, 02:52 PM
Tommycourt
Racer

Originally Posted by c4cruiser
The 88's didn't have the convertible hardtop available. That option (RPO CC2) started in 1989.

So in addition to the two steel mounting brackets that would bolt to both the hardtop and body, you will need to fabricate plates that will have to be welded to the inside of the B-pillars. These plates will need threaded holes that will line up with the top mounting brackets. Some years ago, there were kits available that had that custom plate that could be welded on, but there were still other mods that had to be made.

The latches on the decklid may not be compatible with the pins and attaching bolts found on the rear of the factory hardtop. You may have to swap those out for later latches. The hardtop locating pins have a small bolt that screws into a nut on the bottom of the latch.

Also, the windshield header upper mounting brackets may be different as GM used a different design between 88 and 89 cars (just like they changed the coupe targa mounting brackets using three different designs).

It will take some effort (and cost) to be able to mount a factory hardtop to an early C4 'vert. The Smoothline top may be a better choice in terms of easy mounting, but it will not add any stiffness to the car. It's simply a unpainted shell that provides a different look.
I am ok with the Smoothline not adding any stiffness to the car. I guess what my thinking is, sooner or later I will have to change tops. Here in Az we have such a short season where you can actually enjoy a convertible. You have raised a very valid point as far as the header goes. In Smoothline they state it will bolt up without having any problems however I have heard that before. If I have to modify the header, which I won't do, then possibly I should leave it as is and when the top wears out, change the top. Also mentioned was the fact that there won't be any room as the stock top folds down underneath leaving very little space. Space is limited as it is. I think you guys have helped me solve my concerns: leave it the way it is and replace the top when the time comes. I really can't complain as I don't get that much road noise and so far have yet to see any problems with leakage. I thank you all for your input and helping me on this subject.
Tommy
Old 07-29-2014, 05:02 PM
Patsgarage
Team Owner

Originally Posted by c4cruiser

I did not know this . This is why this place is great, you learn something new almost every day !
Old 07-29-2014, 05:29 PM
corvetteronw
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 247 Likes on 200 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VIII
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

I converted my 87's hardware to that of the later (89-96) verts. I made custom brackets to mount the B pillar "roll bar" to the upper seat belt brackets. I would go with the smooth line.
And yes, your bride will only be able to bring along a toothbrush and a very teeny nighty for those overnight trips if you have the hardtop on.
A few years ago I was at a Forum Cruise In event and a bunch of Vettes had just returned from the tail of the dragon. One of the earlier supercharged C4s had his hood up and was complaining that his power steering pump was smoking hot.

Get notified of new replies

To Thoughts on convertible hard top

Quick Reply: Thoughts on convertible hard top