C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Just wondering my cars history

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2014, 12:40 AM
indallas1978
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Just wondering my cars history

I bought a clean low mileage1987 L98 coupe in Dallas Tx. Around 1997. I traded it in on a 4+3 conv. after enjoying it for a couple years but one day ran a carfax report on it just for kicks. It seems the car was never originally sold/registered until the early 1990s so any VIN check or research I have ever done always turns up nothing. Then in 2004 I was out driving one day and by chance saw one identical for sale. I whipped around to check it out and turned out to be the one I had owned years before. I spoke with the owner, went to the bank & drove it home and still have it to this day. It has always been in the back of my mind what the story is of the first 5-6 years of life for this car but can not find any info whatsoever. Anyone that may know any history to this vehicle would be much appreciated as I am stumped! It's a dark red1987 L98 with graphite int. and Z52. I believe it was in Florida at one point in its early life and VIN# is 1G1YY2188H5101550 thank you to any and all help! No big deal, just curiosity 👍👍
Old 07-28-2014, 05:01 AM
HlhnEast
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Some folks thought the C4 would jump in value so they squirrelled cars away without ever registering them. After a number of years of no appreciation and realizing how foolish they were they let them go. Even today if one of these non registered 100 miles or less cars pops up it will probly be worth less than it was new unless its a specialty and doubtful even then.
Old 07-28-2014, 09:13 AM
indallas1978
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thank you, that is an aspect I never even thought about. 👍👍

Get notified of new replies

To Just wondering my cars history

Quick Reply: Just wondering my cars history