Stall & No Start - Original '89 Injectors

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2014, 11:39 PM
SLEV89
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Stall & No Start - Original '89 Injectors

This Forum is bloody amazing

I haven't had to do much with my lo-mileage '89 in the last number of years, as she has been running like a dream.
Years ago I sought advice here, and help provide knowledge of my own on a few occasions.

Today I was cruising on a highway and she suddenly started missing - missing & stumbling badly. Within minutes I had virtually lost all oomph and slow slowed slo-o-owed until it finally stalled. No start. Blea...

Later this evening (after my first ever tow in 30 yrs) she'd maybe start (mostly not), ran for 30secs once, then maybe for 2secs the odd time.

After searching and performing many of the suggested / recommended checks (primarily chasing fuel issues) - I finally decided to check the Injector resistance (cold) - all about 16-17 ohm, except one at 10 ohm & one at 12 ohm.

hmmm. so I left the 10'er unplugged, and whaddaya know - varooom!

I was able to move the car, and up my (steep) driveway into the sweet safety of my garage! Drove well, except for the obvious loss of one cylinder.

New Injectors seem to be on the horizon!

thanx to the CORVETTE FORUM
Old 07-28-2014, 11:15 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Sounds like a weak fuel pump ck your fuel pressure at the rail may as well.
Old 07-30-2014, 11:09 AM
SLEV89
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cuisinartvette
Sounds like a weak fuel pump ck your fuel pressure at the rail may as well.
Thanx for the advice.
I did suspect a weak Fuel Pump, or flaky Fuel Regulator - but when it does run, it runs strong - when it stalls it just dies outright; as if it was ignition.

The fact that it runs "pretty good" on seven cylinders, and not at all on eight points me more to Injectors. I've never dealt with Injectors before and was very surprised to learn this common'ish symptom, and that there is no code from the ECM for this "low ohm / high-current" cut-out.

The Forum seems overwhelmingly happy with Fuel Injection Connection, so I've ordered a set of the 22# Bosch III with Gasket Set.
I am looking forward to seeing if there will be any noticeable performance change.

I will be checking pressures etc. when I get in to the swap.
Again, thanx!

Get notified of new replies

To Stall & No Start - Original '89 Injectors

Quick Reply: Stall & No Start - Original '89 Injectors