C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Just got an 88

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2014, 03:07 PM
THEKING_10
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just got an 88

Just got an 88 just wondering if there is anything I should look over once it is in my name I know that as of now there is oil coming out of the oil sending unit beside the distributor I have a new sending unit I guess my question is that is it normal for oil to be flowing from it if it is bad and should I put gasket maker on the new one ???
Old 07-27-2014, 08:23 PM
JIMBO7
Racer

Originally Posted by THEKING_10
Just got an 88 just wondering if there is anything I should look over once it is in my name I know that as of now there is oil coming out of the oil sending unit beside the distributor I have a new sending unit I guess my question is that is it normal for oil to be flowing from it if it is bad and should I put gasket maker on the new one ???
How many miles? Getting any paperwork (history) with the car? did you test drive? Definitely not normal for oil flowing from unit!
Old 07-27-2014, 08:49 PM
FOURSPEEDVETTE
Safety Car

Received 224 Likes on 156 Posts

Strange. Why do you have to wait for it to be in your name to look things over, if you already have it and already have a replacement part?
Old 07-27-2014, 09:14 PM
JVH
Advanced

I've an oil sender leaking before but it was actually at the threads where it screws in the block. I took it out and put some swak on the threads and screwed it back in and it solved mine. Never seen one leak from the actual unit unless it was punctured or smashed maybe. Be sure to put some type of pasty stuff on the threads before the new one goes in.
Old 07-27-2014, 11:45 PM
THEKING_10
Cruising

Originally Posted by JIMBO7
How many miles? Getting any paperwork (history) with the car? did you test drive? Definitely not normal for oil flowing from unit!
I have driven it twice runs and drives great the part I was given was wrong one so I will be buying a new one soon I'm going to look it over again and make sure that is where the leak is coming from for sure now that I can see better car says 23897 but I know it has been turned it seems I will give updates tomorrow
Old 07-28-2014, 08:04 AM
DinoBob
Melting Slicks

Received 365 Likes on 206 Posts

Turned? The odometer has six digits for miles and a seventh for tenths. Unless the odometer has been changed or altered, then 23,000 means 23,000. Or is it actually 230,000?

Get notified of new replies

To Just got an 88

Quick Reply: Just got an 88