C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

A typical Corvette owner....

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2014, 11:49 AM
C4in mesa
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Default A typical Corvette owner....

The idea for this thread came to me this morning. I was discussing the turn out last night at the Pavilions in Scottsdale AZ. It is the longest running weekly car show in the USA. Last night the temps were in the 90's and it was humid. I showed up before 7pm. I parked in the Corvette section which is reserved. There were maybe 15 Corvette's last night. 5 C4's no C3's and the rest C5, C6 and a couple C7's. Chris and I talked about the low turn out after walking around a bit. The Mustang turn out was STRONG full rows of all years. Awesome cars up and down new and old. Because the Corvette section is reserved it was OBVIOUS how few Corvette owners turned out. So we asked the question why ? The answer we concluded is because the majority of Corvette owners are jerks. Nose stuck up in the air with the I won't get my hands dirty attitude. Then you have the guys who know nothing about the Corvette other than it runs on gas and it cost $60,000 or $100,000 ! The little ***** syndrome is also wrapped up in this bunch. Hey baby look at me I have a cool car and a large bank account. I hear this crap from people in my life if the subject comes up about the typical Corvette owner. Funny for sure ! C7 owners are the majority because the car is new and the most expensive. The numbers get thinner the older the car until you hit the C2 which can be more expensive than a new Corvette. These guys tend to be a Corvette enthusiast but not always. Does this mean I hate successful men who buy cool rather than possess it ? Yes. However I have also met some very cool very genuine men who drive a Corvette. But if you stand back and look at 100 new Corvette owners you will see the jerk I am talking about. It is no surprise that these are the guys who look at C4 owners like they are the ugly step child.
Old 07-27-2014, 12:20 PM
ghoastrider1
Le Mans Master

Received 265 Likes on 240 Posts

I admire a nice, old Mustang and even the newer ones. Most of the owners seem decent enough. As far as the show up of vette owners..you gotta remember.. , they made a jillion mustangs and mustangs are even cheaper than( used ones) vettes,espically c-4s. As far as the ***** envy thing goes.. one of my gonads is the size of a pea but the other one is a little bitty fella.
One must also remember there is a huge line/year difference between the c-1s/2s/3s ect. I also think your not far off the mark with the c-6 and 7 owners.
Old 07-27-2014, 12:57 PM
astepup
Melting Slicks

Received 1,796 Likes on 665 Posts

Out at the BHCC rally last week I talked to quite a few C6 and C7 owners, none of which I would classify as a "jerk" or anything else like that...at least the ones I spoke too. True I didn't have the opportunity to talk to every single one of them but of those I did they seemed to be OK car guys. Even met a couple of nice C5 guys as well Of course ALL the C4 guys and gals I talked to were just naturally cool Then again I think if somebody's going to make the commitment to drive all the way to the Black Hills they're more than likely not "posers" but people that truly just love and enjoy their cars no matter what gen they own. I'm sure there's a lot of jerks that own corvettes but unfortunately these days it seems you have jerks everywhere no matter if they drive America's Sports Car or a rusted out Civic.

astepup said that
Old 07-27-2014, 01:19 PM
zr1fred
Race Director

Received 71 Likes on 60 Posts

At the Pavilions, there are two crowds. The up until dark (or 6pm crowd, mostly seniors) and the later crowd which tends to be much younger. Up until dark it was at least 100 out (I know, I was at a show on the west side, more of a blue collar crowd....its in a Kmart parking lot....) and it was HOT in the sun. Most of the corvettes are in the early crowd, and yes there are a lot of look at me types, especially with the C7's, all though they are getting pretty common. Once you get into October, and it cools down, you'll start seeing the usual 200-300 vettes, early....they'll still leave at dark.. As in most shows, there are groups of regulars, and they tend to be exclusive (not overly friendly). There are quite a few who bought their cars just to go sit at the Pavilions every week. The occasional visitors are much more friendly. Still, its the best weekly show anywhere, you'll see more exotics and rare cars there than anywhere else, and you get to park right next to them! PM me if you're going to a show, I'll try to meet you!

Last edited by zr1fred; 07-27-2014 at 01:22 PM.
Old 07-27-2014, 01:20 PM
HGUNHNTR
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's just normal human behavior. Pinning "stuck upedness" in the causation for purchasing a Corvette is pretty ridiculous. I see just as many self-righteous folks at the grocery store as I do at Vette shows. Even if the Corvette contingent were most notably stuck up, who cares. Enjoy the show, enjoy your car, and move along. If you're out to rid the world of a-holes, or call them all out, you'd better bring reinforcements.
Old 07-27-2014, 01:21 PM
HGUNHNTR
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by zr1fred
At the Pavilions, there are two crowds. The up until dark (or 6pm crowd, mostly seniors) and the later crowd which tends to be much younger. Up until dark it was at least 100 out (I know, I was at a show on the west side, more of a blue collar crowd) and it was HOT in the sun. Most of the corvettes are in the early crowd, and yes there are a lot of look at me types, especially with the C7's, all though they are getting pretty common. Once you get into October, and it cools down, you'll start seeing the usual 200-300 vettes. As in most shows, there are groups of regulars, and they tend to be exclusive (not overly friendly). There are quite a few who bought their cars just to go sit at the Pavilions every week. The occasional visitors are much more friendly. Still, its the best weekly show anywhere, you'll see more exotics and rare cars there than anywhere else, and you get to park right next to them! PM me if you're going to a show, I'll try to meet you!
Yep, sounds like a cross section of the general public.

Sounds like a nice show too.
Old 07-27-2014, 01:45 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

Originally Posted by C4in mesa
the majority of Corvette owners are jerks. Nose stuck up in the air...I won't get my hands dirty attitude....know nothing about the Corvette.... little ***** syndrome... look at me I have a cool car and a large bank account.
I have to wonder why you own a Corvette...if this is what you actually believe. The above has definitely NOT been my experience. The "Corvette crew" in UT is the greatest bunch of guys you'll meet.

But if you stand back and look at 100 new Corvette owners you will see the jerk I am talking about. It is no surprise that these are the guys who look at C4 owners like they are the ugly step child.
"The jerk". That guy is present in ANY group of 100 enthusiasts. Of any group of anything. Not just Corvettes, not just cars, anything. He is that way, independent of the hobby/interest and especially the model of car. That guy is a Jerk b/c he is jerk...and in the observation you have made, he just happens to own a Corvette.

EDIT: I see HGUNHNTR basically said the same thing. Well said.

Last edited by Tom400CFI; 07-27-2014 at 01:49 PM.
Old 07-27-2014, 02:12 PM
PLRX
Team Owner

Received 501 Likes on 342 Posts
Co-winner 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified
2018 Corvette of Year Finalist
2017 C4 of Year
2016 C7 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20

The answer we concluded is because the majority of Corvette owners are jerks. Nose stuck up in the air with the I won't get my hands dirty attitude. Then you have the guys who know nothing about the Corvette other than it runs on gas and it cost $60,000 or $100,000 ! The little ***** syndrome is also wrapped up in this bunch. Hey baby look at me I have a cool car and a large bank account. I hear this crap from people in my life if the subject comes up about the typical Corvette owner. Funny for sure ! C7 owners are the majority because the car is new and the most expensive. The numbers get thinner the older the car until you hit the C2 which can be more expensive than a new Corvette. These guys tend to be a Corvette enthusiast but not always. Does this mean I hate successful men who buy cool rather than possess it ? Yes. However I have also met some very cool very genuine men who drive a Corvette. But if you stand back and look at 100 new Corvette owners you will see the jerk I am talking about. It is no surprise that these are the guys who look at C4 owners like they are the ugly step child.

Good post, it's true many of these owners are snobs. If you have been to Corvette car shows you know what I'm trying to imply. Many of them do buy the car because it is expensive, they buy the most expensive crap to include superchargers, wax, and under the hood graphics.

Many of these owners drive these cars like buicks. On all sections here you can find who are the Corvette drivers, the racers, the DIY'er, the wussies, and garage queens.

I got a small example. Yesterday I was driving on California Hwy 76 Palomar Observatory twisties. This C6 saw me, and ran behind me. I started to smile (if you know me you know why), and he gave up on the first set of curves.

If you buy a sports car...Drive your car. Why do you want to keep it like a cherry, extremely waxed, low mileage? Go to all Corvette adds, and see; You buy a Vette, you do all but enjoy it, and soon or later you will sell it in "outstanding condition" for others to buy.

By the time I get done with my Vettes, they will be worth close to nothing.

Gentlemen, Life WONT WAIT FOR YOU. Sooner than we think, we'll get sick, and end up in a retirement/nursing home.
Old 07-27-2014, 03:23 PM
mike100
Safety Car

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

I think most newer production cars are a bit boring to see at a car show unless it is an extreme example of the very top model. I like to see older rare cars, formerly common cars that you don't see anymore, or creative motor swaps etc.

As awesome as a new mustang is as a driver, I don't really like to see 40 of them all lined up taking over half the lot (and i own one too). Old fox bodys and supercharged or Boss 302's..ok yes, but I dunno. I think that's one of the things I like about my 91. You just don't see cars like it very often.

as far as C6's or newer...I don't even drive mine to work anymore because people make the 'you must be making too much money' comments a little bit too much. And yes Pete- I probably am saving the '08 to sell in excellent condition with 22k miles on it to some lucky buyer. The rest of my cars get wrenched and driven hard in the rain.
Old 07-27-2014, 04:04 PM
N227GB
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16-'17-'18,'19-'20,'23

I was discussing the turn out last night at the Pavilions in Scottsdale AZ.
Oh you mean Snobsdale?

Seriously, come down southwest Florida. We're more laid back and I just don't get the brush off other C4 people describe in other parts of the country. I think a lot of that has to large amount of retirees. We'll see what happens when tourist season ramps up later this year.
Old 07-27-2014, 04:55 PM
aj1988
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I bought my first Vette, a 63 vert, 1 week after I got back from VN in 1967 and have pretty much owned one ever since. I now have #6, 7, and 8 either in my garage or driveway. They are in order a 72, 88, and 91. All are paid for.

Do I drive today like I did back then. No! Back then speed was way more important than the way the car handled. Yes, I could do a 4 wheel drift and did so many times.

Now I am more interested in a car that handles and runs well, and is capable of being comfortable on a long ride. In April I did a trip of 4600 miles in 16 days from the DFW area to San Francisco. The first day out I drove 850 miles and didn't notice I was getting tired till I stopped to eat. I do think that a big part of that was where I was driving. After you get west of Amarillo there isn't much to look at besides sand and that gets old pretty quick. Also, with the speed limit being 75 it doesn't seem like a long time behind the wheel.

When I bought the 63 I did join the local Vette club. I was 22 and most of the members were in their 30s/40s. And yes they were impressed by their 67/68s. After a few meetings I hooked up with a group at North Texas State that were my age and had the same interests I had. We had one member that did the Grand Sport thing to a 64 and put a Traco 377 under the hood. That car ran 10:30s on Indy tires.

And as you get older, your interests change. I would much rather be tooling along at 1500 ft looking at the view than sit in a parking lot with temps in the 90s. Sort of like whatever floats your boat.
Old 07-27-2014, 08:46 PM
Tommycourt
Racer

And as you get older, your interests change. I would much rather be tooling along at 1500 ft looking at the view than sit in a parking lot with temps in the 90s. Sort of like whatever floats your boat.

I have been attending car shows for years and can honestly say that I enjoy ALL types of cars regardless of their make. When I attend a car show my favorite category to visit is the "Under construction" class. First of all these are mostly guys who do all their own work and don't have the thousands to go out and buy their ride. Plus is fascinates me to look at their ideas and visit with them. In the other side of the show, the guys with all their cars done I can usually pick out who did their own work and who just wrote out the checks and paid to have their work done. I do it this way because over the last 40-50 years I built different cars and had to do the work myself. I didn't have the money to go out and buy whatever I wanted, I made do with what I had. I agree with some that when you go down "Corvette" row, there are a lot of snobs there but you can also go down the regular row and see them there also. I belong to a club where most guys are over 60 and when we talk, we know who the builders are and who the check writers are. We still trade parts rather than buy them or trade for future favors if we give them a part. In fact we would rather trade parts than buy them. As far as Corvette row, you won't find me there as I prefer to sit with my buddies and their wives and there cars range from street rods to vintage cars or old hot rods. We don't judge them by what they drive but how they act when we are together. When we go on a run, we all watch out for each other and help if they need it. I am the only one in our row with a Corvette, if I am not driving one of my Model A's and I feel comfortable regardless of my ride on that particular evening. I went to the Pavillions ONCE and they told me where I had to park. I want to park next to my friends, who's company I enjoy not because of what I drive. "Snottsville can do as they wish as it is their car show. If you want to find me, on Fridays I am at Albertson's in Mesa, Az and on Saturdays I can be found at K-Mart parking lot in Mesa. And when it's nice in the fall and winter, dark means nothing to me: I turn on my lights as I would rather sit and visit with friends and we have been known to stay way after dark just to enjoy the weather. However this is MHO only!
Tommy
Old 07-27-2014, 11:24 PM
MyOtherCar
Melting Slicks

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

The idea for this thread came to me this morning. I was discussing the turn out last night at the Pavilions in Scottsdale AZ. It is the longest running weekly car show in the USA. Last night the temps were in the 90's and it was humid. I showed up before 7pm. I parked in the Corvette section which is reserved. There were maybe 15 Corvette's last night. 5 C4's no C3's and the rest C5, C6 and a couple C7's. Chris and I talked about the low turn out after walking around a bit. The Mustang turn out was STRONG full rows of all years. Awesome cars up and down new and old. Because the Corvette section is reserved it was OBVIOUS how few Corvette owners turned out. So we asked the question why ? The answer we concluded is because the majority of Corvette owners are jerks. Nose stuck up in the air with the I won't get my hands dirty attitude. Then you have the guys who know nothing about the Corvette other than it runs on gas and it cost $60,000 or $100,000 ! The little ***** syndrome is also wrapped up in this bunch. Hey baby look at me I have a cool car and a large bank account. I hear this crap from people in my life if the subject comes up about the typical Corvette owner. Funny for sure ! C7 owners are the majority because the car is new and the most expensive. The numbers get thinner the older the car until you hit the C2 which can be more expensive than a new Corvette. These guys tend to be a Corvette enthusiast but not always. Does this mean I hate successful men who buy cool rather than possess it ? Yes. However I have also met some very cool very genuine men who drive a Corvette. But if you stand back and look at 100 new Corvette owners you will see the jerk I am talking about. It is no surprise that these are the guys who look at C4 owners like they are the ugly step child.

paragraphs would be nice
Old 07-27-2014, 11:35 PM
chevyc4man
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Most corvette owners are pretty nice and knowledgable.
I think you should give them a break
Old 07-27-2014, 11:41 PM
greest_lightnin
Instructor

Originally Posted by MyOtherCar
paragraphs would be nice
So would capitalization and punctuation.

Al
Old 07-28-2014, 02:11 AM
DrDyno
Burning Brakes

Received 273 Likes on 105 Posts

Originally Posted by HGUNHNTR
...Pinning "stuck upedness" in the causation for purchasing a Corvette is pretty ridiculous. I see just as many self-righteous folks at the grocery store as I do at Vette shows...

I think the OP's point of view is absurd. Go join a Corvette Club and you'll find all kinds of folks in every C-category... 95% of whom you'd be honored to call your friend.
Old 07-28-2014, 05:15 AM
pmcnabb
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Different Outlooks

I came on the forum and the first post I saw this morning was "Corvette People are Awesome" then a couple of lines down the post about Jerks and Jackasses, I suppose there are both, Just IMO the word "cool" goes hand in hand with being friendly and Koom by ya, ha kunha matata, takes less muscles to smile than frown never met a cool jackass, peeps will be peeps and all kinds drive vettes, case in point I have a 95 sweeet C4 and a younger fella here in my office just bought a C7 and another also younger has a C6, we talk vettes together all the time and they will compliment my 20 year old ride while I drool over there verts so can't cover all the Indians with the same blanket bro's, see ya out there

Get notified of new replies

To A typical Corvette owner....

Old 07-28-2014, 05:51 AM
Lloyd Smale
Le Mans Master

Received 47 Likes on 45 Posts

had to chuckle at the hospital last week. We pulled in the carport in our 92 and found a parking spot. I have a handicapped plate so it was in the handicap section. Just as we were getting out of the car a brand new (still had the dealer plate on it) white c7 with black wheels pulled in a couple spots down. What make us chuckle was the driver. She was gray haired and looked to be about 75 years old!! Surely not what you would have expected to crawl out of that car!!
Old 07-28-2014, 07:44 AM
C4in mesa
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

I have enjoyed reading all of your responses. By the sound of it Florida doesn't have and I quote from other posts, "Posers" or "Snobs". Well here in AZ there are lots of these types. Let me run down to you all the type of A@@hole I am talking about. Let's say you needed a jump or some roadside assistence. The dude who drives a brand new or newer Corvette and has probably never changed a tire more than once in his life will just roll on past you not even looking at you. This is the Corvette owner I am talking about. Not some motor head or the C7 or C6 owner who loves all Corvette's. If you have never been exposed to a "Poser" he attends car shows and stands by his car like it is speaking for him. Look at me ! This jerk will talk to you as long as it is about himself or as long as it makes him feel good. Do these personalities only drive Corvette's ? Of course not they drive cars that cost over $50K and for some weird reason get security from it. Most of you are able to recognize this and have made me laugh reading your post. It seems TOM400CFI has to sink to the bottom of the barrel and insult me. I love you too TOM. I bought my Corvette because it was CHEAP and the best value sports car out there. The C4 ! I had never owned a Corvette until this car. I am sold on the Corvette from here on out. The reference to small ***** was a metaphor. Now if ALL Corvette owners were jerks I would never attend car shows or club meetings. I have met some really cool guys that are smart and very generous with their time. But like a few pointed out this is probably an accurate reflection of the general public which really scares me. Case in point my dear buddy TOM. He is a helpful guy but has a real mean streak in him. Another cross section of human behavior I guess ? Next Saturday is the Corvette's and Caffiene in Scottsdale. I love this meeting and I enjoy the guys who attend. These men are die hard Corvette owners and love talking about various Corvette modifications same as we do on here. I will be sure to bring this thread up and see what they say !

Last edited by C4in mesa; 07-28-2014 at 07:47 AM.
Old 07-28-2014, 09:15 AM
hcbph
Safety Car

Received 526 Likes on 476 Posts

Default Owners

I've been to 3 shows this year: All GM show, Back to the 50's and Car Craft Summer Nationals. C4's didn't qualify for the 2d one though they did in the first and third ones. Most Vettes I saw was in the All GM show. Thing was I didn't see one that I would call having a $40K paint job on it. Almost without exception, the more 'normal' the car appeared the more willing the owners were to talk about what they have done to their cars and how they did it. Plus they drive them on a regular basis.
They discussed parts sources, mods etc, so you knew they did the work themselves.
Thing was you could tell the checkbook cars just based on paint jobs or interiors, almost without exception. If they didn't have the car roped off, if you asked what kind of paint or how they did it almost without exception it was talk to this or that shop. One guy did his own but most every other way was pay and play. One guy was at least honest on his Impala, he said he never drove it for fear his $30K paintjob might get damaged.
Personally I'd rather see a car with a average paintjob that's driven than a trailer queen.

PS I've encounted more snobs and stuck-up people at the grocery store than I have Vette Owners. Most will talk and discuss things without taking an attitude as long as that's the way they're talked to IMO.

Last edited by hcbph; 07-28-2014 at 09:21 AM.

Quick Reply: A typical Corvette owner....