Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

A typical Corvette owner....

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2014, 10:32 AM
sjohnson2615
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

The low turnout may have have been just because of "temps in the 90's and high humidity" . That would have kept me away. I do shows for enjoyment and that kind of weather is not enjoyable to sit in the sun and bake.
That may have been all there was to it and not all the personality traits you are trying to blame it on.
Old 07-28-2014, 12:19 PM
N227GB
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16-'17-'18,'19-'20,'23

Originally Posted by Lloyd Smale
Just as we were getting out of the car a brand new (still had the dealer plate on it) white c7 with black wheels pulled in a couple spots down. What make us chuckle was the driver. She was gray haired and looked to be about 75 years old!!
Probably a snowbird from my area. I see lots of retirees in C7s.
Old 07-28-2014, 12:46 PM
65Z01
Team Owner

Received 300 Likes on 274 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

...and I just don't get the brush off other C4 people describe in other parts of the country.
Well of course not, after all you drive a gorgeous 35th Anni...
Old 07-28-2014, 01:35 PM
Goldcylon
Tech Contributor

Received 101 Likes on 90 Posts

Well I wont be out there to it gets a helluva lot cooler. Prob OCT-NOV time frame and on corvette Saturday 1st weekend of the month

Last edited by Goldcylon; 07-28-2014 at 01:43 PM.
Old 07-28-2014, 09:38 PM
JrRifleCoach
Team Owner

Location: Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction.
Received 640 Likes on 444 Posts
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by PLRX

I got a small example. Yesterday I was driving on California Hwy 76 Palomar Observatory twisties. This C6 saw me, and ran behind me. I started to smile (if you know me you know why), and he gave up on the first set of curves.

Gentlemen, Life WONT WAIT FOR YOU. Sooner than we think, we'll get sick, and end up in a retirement/nursing home.
I like your style friend.
Old 07-28-2014, 11:43 PM
JackDidley
Race Director

Received 230 Likes on 162 Posts

Never had a show car. My Vettes have been DD/drag cars. I do walk through a show or 2 every summer. Always see some nice rides . My favorite car show happens at the drag strip weekly. There are some real quality cars in the pits every week. Cars that look nice and some that are very fast.
Old 07-29-2014, 12:49 AM
zr1fred
Race Director

Received 71 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by JackDidley
Never had a show car. My Vettes have been DD/drag cars. I do walk through a show or 2 every summer. Always see some nice rides . My favorite car show happens at the drag strip weekly. There are some real quality cars in the pits every week. Cars that look nice and some that are very fast.
These are more like cruise'ins rather than the traditional carshows. Some like Pavillions are high end, while most are like the above mentioned KMart ones are bring what you want, from moms four door to grandpa's old pickup (although most are better). Put out some chairs and talk cars, both past and present. They are a throw back to the old cruise the dinners of 40 or so years ago. Just without the case of beer in the back and the street drags.
Old 07-29-2014, 07:56 AM
Paul Workman
Le Mans Master

Received 500 Likes on 395 Posts

Originally Posted by HGUNHNTR
It's just normal human behavior. Pinning "stuck upedness" in the causation for purchasing a Corvette is pretty ridiculous. I see just as many self-righteous folks at the grocery store as I do at Vette shows. Even if the Corvette contingent were most notably stuck up, who cares. Enjoy the show, enjoy your car, and move along. If you're out to rid the world of a-holes, or call them all out, you'd better bring reinforcements.

Waxers n Warriors... A world of difference between the two groups of Corvette owners, I find!
Old 07-30-2014, 07:21 PM
Philsphan
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 65Z01
Well of course not, after all you drive a gorgeous 35th Anni...
Haha ive never been to a show with my 35th .... But I do get positive responses on my 35th thumbs up looks and comments at gas stations and drive thrus... I actually have gotten the wave from the 2-3 c7s ive driven by on the road in my local area... waves from other c4s n c5s c6 is hit or miss.. I will say this at 24 I guess im not the typical vette driver... its my daily but I keep it clean and not to skilled with a wrench lol... Going overseas in a month so its just gonna collect dust in my parents garage lol
Old 07-31-2014, 12:05 AM
BacknBlack
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Most Corvette owners are snobs and borderline d-bags. Since 1999, Ive been to more 'gatherings' then I can count. The most asked question I have gotten has been, "Why don't you buy a new one"? They don't ask what cam my car has or what times I run, just that it's not as new as theirs. Hell, Ive even challenged some of them to a drag race when they start with, " The corvette didn't exist until the C5 came out! You should sell yours and get one like mine.". Of course I get no takers.

So I hang out with the F-body crowd, with some G-bodies thrown in. It's a nice shot of reality. Being able to speak with guys that actually get their hands dirty and can share info on tuning, repairs, mods and other stuff makes for fun nights. Not to mention the drag racing that goes on afterwards
Old 07-31-2014, 09:08 AM
TBSS/85vette
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by ghoastrider1
I admire a nice, old Mustang and even the newer ones. Most of the owners seem decent enough. As far as the show up of vette owners..you gotta remember.. , they made a jillion mustangs and mustangs are even cheaper than( used ones) vettes,espically c-4s. As far as the ***** envy thing goes.. one of my gonads is the size of a pea but the other one is a little bitty fella.
One must also remember there is a huge line/year difference between the c-1s/2s/3s ect. I also think your not far off the mark with the c-6 and 7 owners.
Sunday morning I was out driving around and happened to pull up next to a yellow C6 Z06 at a stoplight. I have the same Z06 wheels on my 1985 which bring the car a lot of compliments. I wave to the guy and get absolutely nothing back, nothing! He was locked in a death stare of my car, head going back and forth checking out my vette. When the light turned green I waved again and nothing. I should have flipped him the bird, what a douchebag.
Old 07-31-2014, 02:53 PM
lt4obsesses
Le Mans Master

Received 481 Likes on 261 Posts

I like cars, and I like talking to people about cars. What anyone else thinks of me is none of my business, and what I think of them is useless information. Everyone has their own motivation for owning a Corvette, or any other car for that matter. If their motivation is different from mine, it doesn't make them a jerk, or anything other than what and who they are.

If they want to sit in judgement because their car is newer, faster, cleaner, more expensive, or any other reason to turn a car show into a pi$$ing contest, well, that's just how they choose to live their life. Me, I'd rather have fun talking, and admiring great cars and the stories that go with them.

Quick Reply: A typical Corvette owner....