Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Early C4 to Late C4 body update - Opinions?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2014, 11:14 AM
Slow_Lane
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Early C4 to Late C4 body update - Opinions?

Looking for opinions here, I understand there is no "right" or "wrong":

I have an 89 Corvette. I've owned and enjoyed this car for a few years now and have spent a significant amount of time and $$ on maint. and upgrades to the car. Last fall I got the motor too hot at an autoX and it developed what I believe is a rod knock so my next "investment" into this car will be an engine rebuild. At that point, I think I'm committed which is fine, I love the old car and dreamed of a C4 like this one when I was in high school in the 80's.

Herein lies the question...my car has the original paint. It is called light grey metallic but has a gold cast to it. It's not unattractive, in fact in the sunlight it sparkles and is quite pretty. However, there are a few bad spots and the bumpers both front and rear have begun to do the wavy thing so next up after the engine is body work and paint.

The car has only 70k miles but has a "branded" title...meaning it was insurance totaled at one point and time. Some research shows the car was stolen when it was about 2 years old and the LF corner shows signs of accident repair. I should have shopped more but that;s in the past. Point is, the rest of the car is in great shape and I like it and it's paid for. I understand it will never win a NCRS award etc and honestly I couldn't care less about that sort of thing anyway. It will never bring top dollar as a "rebuilt" car either.

So setting aside questions about color change because anything is on the table at this point, my question is would you all, given the same circumstances, update the front, rear bumpers, moldings etc to the late C4 (91-96) style? My wife likes the look of the later C4's better than the early ones. Me, I like both about the same. While I'm not concerned with originality per se, I also am a bit unsure about having a bastardized car. On the other hand, I think if it was done well it would look just like other C4's but for the interior so I can live with it.

What say the experts??

Thanks!
Old 07-24-2014, 11:24 AM
GKK
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

The updated panels have been done before and look good but, besides the new front and rear bumper covers, you'll also, need to change the recessed body side mouldings and the side vents since, the newer side mouldings are surface mounted.

IMO, I would just replace the warped bumper covers and repaint which will cost enough already and then lower it which will really change the look!...

Here's a link showing some Great Early to Late model C4 body differences!...http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c4-g...omparison.html

You can sell your Vette now and get what ever you can for it, (say, $3000 since it has a Salvage title) and apply that money to whatever you would have spent on the conversion, (let's say $6000 including paint) and you should have at least $9000, which could buy a really nice late model C4 Vette!...

Last edited by GKK; 07-24-2014 at 01:05 PM.
Old 07-24-2014, 12:15 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,943 Likes on 4,782 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

The time and money you spend to convert it over and then paint it you can buy the newer model and that car could be a better car in the end. And then you would just have a step child of a car
Old 07-24-2014, 12:29 PM
89 Vett
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

There's few complications with changing over and there are pieces you can buy for the updated look that still use your rub strips.

http://www.superchevy.com/how-to/vem...-crop-corvete/

It's not for me, but to each his own. I really like the round taillights of the early years.
Old 07-24-2014, 02:53 PM
PLRX
Team Owner

Received 501 Likes on 342 Posts
Co-winner 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified
2018 Corvette of Year Finalist
2017 C4 of Year
2016 C7 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20

Nothing,Nothing,Nothing is bolt-on.
Old 07-24-2014, 03:12 PM
Bandit's C4
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Central PA Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

Engine + paint + body conversion?
That could be more than 10 grand.

Wouldn't just buying a clean 92 - 96 be more efficient and recoup by parting out the 87?
Old 07-24-2014, 04:17 PM
N227GB
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16-'17-'18,'19-'20,'23

That's a lot of money to put into a salvage title car. If you're leaning towards later C4 styling, just get a later C4 and the improvements that went into that era cars.

Originally Posted by GKK
Here's a link showing some Great Early to Late model C4 body differences!...http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c4-g...omparison.html
Good comparison! I'm still partial to the earlier cars.
Old 07-24-2014, 04:35 PM
Docderek05
Racer

I think the previous posters who suggest selling/parting out..or however you want to liquidate the current car..and putting your hard earned money into a nicer 92-96, will make you happier in the long run, and save you some serious cash. There are some beautiful late model C4s out there, with guys who have done the work, and the homework, to put them back into near new condition. Now as you earlier stated, this is just my opinion, you have your own, but my only other comment would be: is the current car mechanically sound ? , because, it would not be fun to invest all this body work, time and cash, and be broken down, with a beautiful exterior, in a mechanically tired car.

Last edited by Docderek05; 07-24-2014 at 04:37 PM.
Old 07-24-2014, 04:48 PM
Slow_Lane
Racer

Great responses - thanks all.

To be clear, the car is in pretty good shape with a lot of upgrades...too many to list here. The short block issue can be resolved fairly well. As far as putting too much $$ in this car, well I am already down that rabbit hole to some extent.

I think I could get all the late model stuff for fairly cheap from a local guy who is parting a car. The labor is not an issue because I will have to R&R the bumpers regardless to repaint. The bodywork and paint is not too big an issue because my step dad owns a restoration shop and will be providing space, tools, tech guidance and will do the actual paint application. Mainly my time and materials. Probably should have laid this out in the original post but I thought it was just too much detail to go into.

So I think I have 4 options

1. Fix the motor cheap and dump it for whatever I can
2. Fix the motor and drive it like it is and put my $ and time into something else
3. Fix the motor and do the body work, replace only what I need to and have a real nice 89 original looking car.
4. Fix the motor and do the late model body upgrade and paint it, have a nice looking Corvette here too with minimal out of pocket.

I don't think any other C4 of similar mileage and age (not much diference really between a 92 and 89 in real terms, mostly car condition) is going to be night and day more reliable. One thing is for sure...it's worth a whole lot of nothing right now!

Does that change anything or am I still charting a bad course here?
Old 07-24-2014, 06:04 PM
FAUEE
Race Director

Received 4,444 Likes on 2,802 Posts

Fix the motor right, and drive it IMO. If you find you like it a lot, fix the pars that bother you. I like the earlier body style more honestly, but it's up to you.

Understand any more you put into converting it is totally gone, you will get none of it back when you sell the car. Fixing pieces that are messed up on the car will ned you a little return on investment, but not much.
Old 07-24-2014, 06:29 PM
MavsAK
Melting Slicks

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

I love the early body style more (why I got an 89 to start with! That and TPI Runners look bad ***).
If you truly love the car, $ isn't the question. Too often people get caught up in "will I get my $ back on the sticker when I sell it". The answer to that with a C4, unless it's a Callaway, GS, or ZR-1? Is going to be No. Flat out, and will be for the foreseeable future.

But there is more to value with a car than what you get back on the sticker. Or should be when it's a car you truly love.

I'm going to be putting a dart 400 shortblock, port my Edelbrock base, and upgrade to AS&M runners, and put in a cam to go with it all. I already have over a grand in the polished stainless exhaust. I put in a set of bilstein shocks all the way around and a VBP sport spring, along with brand new brakes calipers, rotors, hoses mastercylinder and all in my 89, upgraded the wheels and tires to 18" ZR1 Replicas (machine face, black accent work) Dewitts dual core radiator.

I replaced the targa top. Replaced the stereo system, and speakers with Kenwoods.
I still have seats, carpet, dashpad, shifterboot, HVAC display cover to do.
I have to repaint the car as the clear is lifting around the trunk.

I bought the car for 5k. I've already got 5 in it. And probably another 5 to 10 to go before it's where I want her to be.
If I sold her do you think I would get 15k? Let alone 20?
No.

The chevy dealer tried telling me they'd only give me a grand on trade in, despite all the work I've already done.

But that's okay. I love the car. If there ever came a time to sell it, do I think I'd be taking a loss? Yes, but not for the $. I'd be losing a car that has in it's money sucking way, become a best friend of sorts.

If you're looking for a new ride, it'd be cheaper just to get a later model C4.
If you're looking for resale value, short of a Callaway, GS, or ZR-1 you aren't going to find it in the C4.
Honestly I can't think of a single car that's not a Muscle Car from the 60s and very early 70s that you can say "will I get my $ back"

Last edited by MavsAK; 07-24-2014 at 06:34 PM.
Old 07-24-2014, 08:46 PM
GKK
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Slow_Lane

2. Fix the motor and drive it like it is and put my $ and time into something else
3. Fix the motor and do the body work, replace only what I need to and have a real nice 89 original looking car.
4. Fix the motor and do the late model body upgrade and paint it, have a nice looking Corvette here too with minimal out of pocket.
Definitely, Option #3!...
Old 07-24-2014, 10:38 PM
gerardvg
Melting Slicks

Received 188 Likes on 169 Posts

I did this to my 85 due to the big price difference between pr 90 and post 90 vettes here in Aus. Nowadays just go buy a later model.

The 91-96 rear bumper will bolt right up, you need the impact absorber from the 91-96 and fit a globe to the wiring harness for the middle brake light.

The front bumper needs a later splashguard the plastic in front of the wheels that is under the vacuum ball and coolant recovery tank, the 91-96 front bumpers bolt on a couple of inches lower where the air dam/spoiler also the arc of the air dams is different you need to use the 91-96 type spoiler and adapter see pictured or a later splash guard.

Of course you need the impact bar and impact absorber lights etc to fit the 91-96 style bumpers get the whole lot.

Of course you need the wide door and small quarter pane moldings, the 91-96 side vent panels.

ten or more years ago when i dit the swap there was a adapter available to fit the front bumper to the splashguards, you cannot bolt the lower part of the front bumper without it or a later splashguard.

Old 07-24-2014, 10:39 PM
Tommycourt
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

To me it's what YOU want and not what others think as you are the one who lives with it and has to be happy with it. But that IMHO!
Tommy
Old 07-24-2014, 11:11 PM
DinoBob
Melting Slicks

Received 365 Likes on 206 Posts

I'd buy a newer Vette and let this car go.
Old 07-25-2014, 03:29 AM
STH
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I did the update to my 1990 Vette, and Love the new look. I agree with your wife; the 91 to 96 Vettes that copied the ZR1 look great. I bought a kit that kept the 1990 style molding (don't think its available any longer). And did a lot more to the car, but isn't this the idea of this forum, modifying your car to your own taste. I say go for it.....
Old 07-25-2014, 11:43 AM
GKK
Safety Car

Since, body and paint is the most expensive part of the conversion and your step dad owns a restoration shop and will be painting your Vette, I think it's a no brainer!...

Get notified of new replies

To Early C4 to Late C4 body update - Opinions?

Old 07-25-2014, 11:44 AM
N227GB
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16-'17-'18,'19-'20,'23

The bodywork and paint is not too big an issue because my step dad owns a restoration shop and will be providing space, tools, tech guidance and will do the actual paint application. Mainly my time and materials. Probably should have laid this out in the original post but I thought it was just too much detail to go into.
That helps. One thing you can't put a price tag on is the enjoyment of doing the work yourself to have something unique. It still may not be financially practical, but C4s are not practical cars. I'm reminded of this each time I try climb into the driver's seat.
Old 07-26-2014, 10:01 PM
Tommycourt
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great responses - thanks all.

To be clear, the car is in pretty good shape with a lot of upgrades...too many to list here. The short block issue can be resolved fairly well. As far as putting too much $$ in this car, well I am already down that rabbit hole to some extent.

I think I could get all the late model stuff for fairly cheap from a local guy who is parting a car. The labor is not an issue because I will have to R&R the bumpers regardless to repaint. The bodywork and paint is not too big an issue because my step dad owns a restoration shop and will be providing space, tools, tech guidance and will do the actual paint application. Mainly my time and materials. Probably should have laid this out in the original post but I thought it was just too much detail to go into.

I don't think any other C4 of similar mileage and age (not much diference really between a 92 and 89 in real terms, mostly car condition) is going to be night and day more reliable. One thing is for sure...it's worth a whole lot of nothing right now!

Does that change anything or am I still charting a bad course here?
I have done a lot of thinking on this subject and this is just my opinion and take it or leave it. I have built cars for over 40 years. I can honestly say that I NEVER made any money fixing a car up and selling it.
NOW this is why I say that. I pay myself 10 cents an hour for my labor and then the cost of parts. As you may well know, cost of parts has risen horribly over the last 5-7 years. My cost of labor hasn't. When I build a car, I never consider what I can sell it for (unless it would be a Dusenberg, La Salle or Pierce-Arrow) and we are not talking about that. My 88 convert. is completely stock and I have 2 Model A's that are stock, one of which I have over $20K in. I will never recover my cost BUT I DON'T CARE! You build a car out of desire of being able to do it and the love of the design. Modifications will NOT add additional value to it-they are for your pleasure. There is a great sense of accomplishment is telling others that "I built this car!". You will have to farm out some of the things you do, however most of it you and maybe some buddies have helped. If you decide to build it, build it out of the love of design and the idea that it was your ideas that you had in your heart and head. I have built some cars that people said were impossible to do but I showed them wrong. It can be done! Devote yourself to your project and stick to it. I can only say that I miss a lot of them I built but now as I am past my mid 60's, I can look back and say "I done that!" Ignore the others if they say you are crazy for doing it. Regardless of your decision, I wish you the best of luck!
Tommy
Old 07-26-2014, 11:51 PM
3JsVette
Race Director

Received 2,490 Likes on 1,644 Posts

I would go with option 2 if it was me but because of your situation with your step Dad's body shop I would suggest option 3 for you. I would also suggest not to do the body conversion or color change though. Buy a late C4 before you do that. The money would be better spent.
Good luck with what ever you decide as it's your car, your money, and ultimately your choise.

Quick Reply: Early C4 to Late C4 body update - Opinions?