C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

1992 Rearview Mirror

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2014, 11:07 AM
Meterguru
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1992 Rearview Mirror

Is there any way to tighten the rearview mirror, every bump it droops down. Or do I just have to replace the whole assembly?
Old 07-23-2014, 11:16 AM
Goldcylon
Tech Contributor

Received 100 Likes on 90 Posts

[QUOTE=Meterguru;1587426397]Is there any way to tighten the rearview mirror, every bump it droops down. Or do I just have to replace the whole assembly?[/QUOTE

Replace.
Old 07-23-2014, 11:54 AM
wydopnthrtl
Drifting

Received 290 Likes on 187 Posts

Its a ball and socket type of joint. Before just replacing the whole thing, take it off the car and carefully deform the outer edge so that it creates interferance. This should work as long as your careful not to break something.

Another way is to very carefully squeeze the "socket" making it slightly egg shaped. This will also give the interferance it needs. A pair of channel locks w/cloth covering the teeth is a good way to clamp w/o marking it up.
Old 07-23-2014, 05:34 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,259 Likes on 2,022 Posts

Originally Posted by wydopnthrtl
Its a ball and socket type of joint. Before just replacing the whole thing, take it off the car and carefully deform the outer edge so that it creates interferance. This should work as long as your careful not to break something.

Another way is to very carefully squeeze the "socket" making it slightly egg shaped. This will also give the interferance it needs. A pair of channel locks w/cloth covering the teeth is a good way to clamp w/o marking it up.
^^^

This type of a fix doesn't generally last long and it's very easy to make the situation probably worse. I had a friend with an early F-body mirror that just wouldn't stay positioned for more than one slam of the door and we injected a two part epoxy into the socket, he positioned it and walked away until the next day. The last I knew that mirror was still where he positioned it and a couple years later the car was sold and the buyer was warned "DON'T TOUCH THE DAMN MIRROR"

If you're the only driver - put it where you want it and move on!
Old 07-28-2014, 09:13 PM
carguy604
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts

1/8 turn of Phillips head screw underneath worked for me yesterday!
Old 07-29-2014, 02:26 AM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 341 Likes on 312 Posts

The screws that hold the mirror mounting bracket get loose. Sometimes the trunnion pops out of its socket on one side.

Take it apart and see what's up in there.

Get notified of new replies

To 1992 Rearview Mirror

Quick Reply: 1992 Rearview Mirror