C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

BCM issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2014, 08:39 AM
NyKy
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BCM issue

I have a 1990 and had to replace the body control module with a used part since they aren't making new ones. My odometer went from 61,200 to 179,000 miles. Since I would like to sell the car I would like to correct the mileage. Any suggestions as to who can help with this?
Old 07-23-2014, 08:53 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,271 Likes on 2,032 Posts

Originally Posted by NyKy
I have a 1990 and had to replace the body control module with a used part since they aren't making new ones. My odometer went from 61,200 to 179,000 miles. Since I would like to sell the car I would like to correct the mileage. Any suggestions as to who can help with this?

The CCM can't be changed except by a clear of all information by generally a rebuilder or service shop. Once cleared the mileage and the VIN (which is also incorrect) can be entered within the first 100 miles. Once it's gone the 100 miles it's defaulted again and would require a reset by a rebuilder or service shop.

A "DEALER" does NOT have the equipment required to do the reset.

What was wrong with your original? Did the used correct your problem?
Old 07-23-2014, 09:55 AM
NyKy
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by WVZR-1
The CCM can't be changed except by a clear of all information by generally a rebuilder or service shop. Once cleared the mileage and the VIN (which is also incorrect) can be entered within the first 100 miles. Once it's gone the 100 miles it's defaulted again and would require a reset by a rebuilder or service shop.

A "DEALER" does NOT have the equipment required to do the reset.

What was wrong with your original? Did the used correct your problem?
When I took it out of storage everything was dead. I had it towed to a local shop and their diagnosis was a bad BCM. I could only locate a used one at a junkyard in Tennessee which they installed. They had problems flashing it so they somehow bypassed it according to direction from GM as they had no other suggestions. They said the alarm would be bypassed, but nothing else. Obviously they didn't mention the odometer issue to me. Do you have ideas where I can get this done? I'm near Lexington, Ky. Tks.

Get notified of new replies

To BCM issue

Quick Reply: BCM issue