C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Question about 92 convertible top cover

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2014, 11:02 PM
bar20
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about 92 convertible top cover

The cover on my 92 convertible will not release on the right side. When I press either one of the yellow buttons the left side releases but not the right side. I found a little release handle on the right side which can be pulled when the top is up and you want to store it under the cover. Once the top is put away the handle is covered and can't be reached or at least I can't find a way to reach it. Is there some kind of servo that operates the release on the catch? Anyone else had this problem and got it solved?
Old 07-25-2014, 01:20 AM
murraybob
Racer

Default common problem

The cars are touchy about being on level ground when opening the deck lid. I have had the lid refuse to release one side or the other (different side at different times) and then work fine when I changed where it was parked. Try moving the car to a perfectly level spot and see if that helps.
As for the emergency release, they are easy to reach while the top is up. When the top is down I have been able to apply enough pressure to the handle by using the end of a folded wire coat hanger. I focused on channeling the hanger on the outboard side of the folded rag top. Check out the proper path while the top is up and the obstacles, and visualize where to aim the wire when the top is down. Actually, I also keep a long bladed screw driver in the glove box for that purpose. I think I am prepared for any emergency now except that on the drivers side the handle is broken off. LOL They are made of plastic.

Last edited by murraybob; 07-25-2014 at 01:24 AM.
Old 08-04-2014, 10:50 AM
bar20
Advanced

Thanks. I have since found out it is the right side release solenoid that is bad. I am trying to find the part number. Apparently it has been discontinued by GM. I did locate the manual release. With the top up it's easy to get at, down not so easy. I am going to try a string tied to the release and see if it can be released that way. If anyone knows the GM part number or if the C5 used the same solenoid I might be able to use that.
Old 08-04-2014, 11:10 AM
vetteLT193
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 524 Likes on 314 Posts

I am guessing this is it. http://www.corvettepartsworldwide.co..._p/7-49951.htm
Old 08-08-2014, 05:50 AM
enventr
Safety Car

Received 438 Likes on 397 Posts

There was a fix for these solenoids by member " cottagstan" written on 4/20/13. On how to repair yours that is gummed up

Decklid Actuator problem solved
04-20-2013 10:16 AM by cottagstan
It's a bit of a story but a couple of weeks ago a friend came over with his '96 'vert. The decklid would not unlock on one side and the local dealer wasn't much help saying that the actuators were no longer available. I offered to help, then I began an exhaustive internet search to try to locate a new one. None of the major parts dealers could help out, but then I finally managed to find one NOS unit outside the US. I probably paid a little too much for it, but there wasn't much choice. When it arrived, I installed it, and it worked perfectly. Although I only asked my buddy to pay for the part and shipping, he was so happy that he gleefully overpaid me for my pains. I was a little embarrassed, after all, this is only recreation for me.
Anyway, I kept the old unit for further inspection, dismantling, and reassembly, and found that I was able to get it to work like new once again.
From reading old threads, I know that there are a number of Corvette owners with similar problems with the actuators, and I'm willing to freely share my new knowledge with them if they would like to PM me. If they don't want to bother trying to DIY, I'm willing to do the the rebuilds for much less than the cost of buying a used unit.
Happy motoring!
Old 08-08-2014, 05:54 AM
enventr
Safety Car

Received 438 Likes on 397 Posts

Decklid Actuator problem solved
04-20-2013 10:16 AM by cottagstan
It's a bit of a story but a couple of weeks ago a friend came over with his '96 'vert. The decklid would not unlock on one side and the local dealer wasn't much help saying that the actuators were no longer available. I offered to help, then I began an exhaustive internet search to try to locate a new one. None of the major parts dealers could help out, but then I finally managed to find one NOS unit outside the US. I probably paid a little too much for it, but there wasn't much choice. When it arrived, I installed it, and it worked perfectly. Although I only asked my buddy to pay for the part and shipping, he was so happy that he gleefully overpaid me for my pains. I was a little embarrassed, after all, this is only recreation for me.
Anyway, I kept the old unit for further inspection, dismantling, and reassembly, and found that I was able to get it to work like new once again.
From reading old threads, I know that there are a number of Corvette owners with similar problems with the actuators, and I'm willing to freely share my new knowledge with them if they would like to PM me. If they don't want to bother trying to DIY, I'm willing to do the the rebuilds for much less than the cost of buying a used unit.
Happy motoring!
04-20-2013 10:32 AM by Tom400CFI
Why don't you just share the solution?? That's what these forums are supposed to be for....I thought.
04-20-2013 07:55 PM by cottagstan
I'm happy to share the solution! Just a lot of writing! Most solenoid actuators simply seize because they aren't used often enough. On the decklid unit I fixed, I found it easy to work on since it was out of the car, but I guess you might try to fix one without removing it.
Looking at the unit where the cable enters the body there is a black plastic double eared clamp that locks into slots in the metal body. These 2 clamps must be gently pried out of the slots, both at the same time, and the assembly will practically fly apart in your hands. Don't break these plastic parts, I don't know where you can replace these things if you do. (This is one of the reasons it is easier to do this with the actuator removed from the car.) You will likely find that the internal sliding part of the unit is seized in the cylinder. You will need to loosen it with whatever means you can find, penetrating oil, WD-40, gentle pressure, etc. Use some care in loosening the slide. If you remove it and aren't too careful, there is a small spring on the other end that will want to hide itself somewhere on your garage floor. Once you have the unit freed up, simply clean up the pieces, apply some light lube, and reassemble everything. Now you should have a perfectly working actuator once more! Contact me if you need further assistance.

Get notified of new replies

To Question about 92 convertible top cover

Quick Reply: Question about 92 convertible top cover