Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Long distance buying through a broker?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2014, 04:14 PM
tony58
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Long distance buying through a broker?

How do all of you handle a long distance car purchase?You are sending 15K-30K to a person you don't know and hope you get a car hauled to you.Are there brokers or services that handle transactions like this?thanks for any help or advice...
Tony
Old 07-22-2014, 04:55 PM
N227GB
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16-'17-'18,'19-'20,'23

I had a very narrow set of parameters for the kind of C4 I wanted, so part of my budgeted acquisition cost was going to include air travel and hotel if necessary. I really would not have been comfortable buying something without doing my own pre-buy inspection, though I would also have a shop do a thorough check.

However, I was lucky that I found my car about 20 minutes away from me.

Make it a daily habit to check Craigslist and AutoTrader. You may not find your future ride in your backyard, but maybe an afternoon drive.
Old 07-22-2014, 05:59 PM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

If you are spending that kind of money you mention, then I would suggest going to look at the car, drive it, and maybe have an independent shop do a Used Vehicle Inspection. It may be well worth the time and money to actually see what you are going to buy

The sales transaction can be relatively easy to do. You can work with your bank to set up a wire transfer that will take place only when you say to do it. You arrange to have funds available to the bank which will put the money in an escrow account. When you ready to actually buy, call the banks and have them transfer the money to the seller's bank (the two banks work together on this). Make sure the seller has the clean title so it can be signed off by him. You're going to need that title along with a Bill of Sale to get your new plates.

Shipping the car is a separate issue; there should be a number of reputable shippers that will pick the car up and deliver it to you.

And as mentioned, you should also be looking at similar cars in your area. It takes some effort in driving around, but it could make the whole buying process much easier.
Old 07-22-2014, 06:42 PM
tony58
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts

Thanks both for the good info...
Tony
Old 07-22-2014, 08:42 PM
hcbph
Safety Car

Received 526 Likes on 476 Posts

Default Long distance purchases

I've done it a couple of times. One was a truck through a dealer is Los Angeles about 5 years ago. The other was the Vette through a car auction in N.M.
The truck I conditionalized the offer such that it had to meet certain requirements to complete the purchase. If it didn't match the claims, the deal was off and full return of my deposit.
The Vette was through a car auction. Thing is with an auction, if you buy it that's it. There are no mulligans etc on purchases. I've got a couple of friends with dealer licenses (which you need to bid at an auction) and the general consensus is if you lie or screw another dealer you'll be blacklisted real quick with the other dealers. They're all apparently pretty honest about the cars so you typically can take what's said about them as what the dealer knows.
You can also pull a carfax on a car for more info. Additionally most have some provision where you can have a mechanic check over a car.
Both my purchases worked out as did a 3d one that was in this area.

Get notified of new replies

To Long distance buying through a broker?

Quick Reply: Long distance buying through a broker?