Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

when it rains,it pours.

Old 07-20-2014, 08:31 PM
ghoastrider1
Le Mans Master

Received 265 Likes on 240 Posts

Default when it rains,it pours.

still trying to pop my hood without success. Kid comes over that has been bugging me about a ride in his "favorite car". (Freshman in highschool this year that I have been letting him help me work on the vette). Said ok this time..damn car wont start now, just turns over. I tell him it might be awhile , cant even find out why it wont start till I get the damn hood to pop.
Old 07-20-2014, 10:43 PM
jay1055
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Default Hood

Originally Posted by ghoastrider1
still trying to pop my hood without success. Kid comes over that has been bugging me about a ride in his "favorite car". (Freshman in highschool this year that I have been letting him help me work on the vette). Said ok this time..damn car wont start now, just turns over. I tell him it might be awhile , cant even find out why it wont start till I get the damn hood to pop.
Is either side releasing?
Old 07-21-2014, 12:03 AM
1993C4LT1
Race Director

Received 612 Likes on 492 Posts

If one side is releasing, that will help you. When you get it open, install emergency release cables.
Old 07-21-2014, 12:52 AM
jay1055
Racer

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Default Hood

Originally Posted by 1993C4LT1
If one side is releasing, that will help you. When you get it open, install emergency release cables.
When my 84 would not release on the passenger side I was able to pull it up with another person pulling the release while I pushed down then pulled up on the passenger side then cleaned and adjusted the cables.....Jay
Old 07-21-2014, 05:15 AM
cudamax
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Check this out and make the tool. Go o ur local ace hardware or menards and get something anything in maybe 1/4 rod with the little 45 degree bend or make it then watch this video and open ur hood
Then lube up and grease the **** out of everything and maybe hook a string to the pivot lever and run it up through or around ur drivers side door for a secondary emg release
Good luck Dont really look that hard
Let me know how it turns out and how long it took ya
Old 07-21-2014, 05:23 AM
cudamax
Burning Brakes

Mid American sells the tool and it shouldn't be that hard to find one if u dont want to make and read this tread I guess be careful one guy here cracked his Windshield somehow doing this
http://www.c4vetteregistry.com/vrfor...elease/418438/
Old 07-21-2014, 05:30 AM
cudamax
Burning Brakes

You can also pull the Right front tire and take out some screws to the wheel well to get up in there and do it that way
Old 07-21-2014, 05:32 AM
cudamax
Burning Brakes

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c4-g...with-pics.html
Old 07-21-2014, 07:13 AM
PHILLIE PHANATIC
Racer

Received 99 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by cudamax
Check this out and make the tool. Go o ur local ace hardware or menards and get something anything in maybe 1/4 rod with the little 45 degree bend or make it then watch this video and open ur hood
Then lube up and grease the **** out of everything and maybe hook a string to the pivot lever and run it up through or around ur drivers side door for a secondary emg release
Good luck Dont really look that hard
How to open hood with broken cables 84-96 corvette C4 - YouTube
Let me know how it turns out and how long it took ya
That tool looks exactly like the rod RV owners use to OPEN their awning. If you know anyone that has a camper ask them if you can borrow it, then make yourself the release cables. RV awnings have a strap with a loop on the end of it, that sticks out when it rolls up and you grab the loop with the rod and pull the awning open. You must know someone with a camper I hope. Good luck
Old 07-21-2014, 08:22 AM
ghoastrider1
Le Mans Master

thanks for the replys. Was just moaning about the luck. I do have the tool. Its the left (pass.)side. emerg. cable broke on that side thatI had installed for such as this (worked before). Vacation ended sunday, back to work today. Am over the road driver so no work on vette for weeks.Its ok, don't mind the tinkering on it but I did want to drive it to work for the first time and kinda show it off. Oh well, perhaps in a few weeks. Thanks all, be careful out there and stay away from big trucks, they are dangerous.
Old 07-22-2014, 12:24 AM
Mortsciguy
Instructor

Received 60 Likes on 23 Posts

I had an issue with the port side of my '95. Ordered a new cable. As I prepared to replace the double cable assembly, I found that the bad side had dropped out of the lever release mechanism under the port side of the dash. I pushed it back into position and used a zip tie to prevent either cable end from dropping out of position again. Still have a new cable assembly in the event it actually breaks in the future.
Old 08-07-2014, 06:54 AM
ghoastrider1
Le Mans Master

finally...got the hood to pop. Being a semi truck driver I only get to try every few weeks, and not many times at that. To much on wifes honey do list. Thanks for all the help and advice, it was welcomed and did work. Now, next time home, find outy why it wont start. Did have enough time to push down Schrader valve and just a small squirt. tried to start it again, nope. pushed valve again and no fuel that time squirted. So. going to check fuel pump next time. Hoping to get it done b4 vette club of Indianapolis meets at Indy 500 track for a go around, then trip down to Bowling Green.
Old 08-07-2014, 12:45 PM
N227GB
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16-'17-'18,'19-'20,'23

When I read on here about making a set of emergency release cables right way I made some with aircraft safety wire.

Originally Posted by cudamax
Go o ur local ace hardware or menards and get something anything in maybe 1/4 rod with the little 45 degree bend or make it then watch this video and open ur hood
Nice! I thought the only way was to pull a wheel.

Originally Posted by Mortsciguy
port side of the dash.
Are you a boat guy?
Old 08-07-2014, 05:11 PM
ghoastrider1
Le Mans Master

I had a homemade set of emergency cables installed. Seems the one on the pass. side was trapped by the hood locater pin and the latch. Gave it a good yank, broke it. I have now gotten some strand wire from Lowes and the connectors to do it right this time.
Old 08-10-2014, 12:50 AM
Mortsciguy
Instructor

Navy aircraft tech from the 70's. I always figured if I could keep a Jet manufactured in the 1950's flying, how tough could ANY car project be? But my aircraft gear did not include electronics. Having to learn that stuff.
Kelly
Old 08-10-2014, 08:24 AM
ghoastrider1
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Mortsciguy
Navy aircraft tech from the 70's. I always figured if I could keep a Jet manufactured in the 1950's flying, how tough could ANY car project be? But my aircraft gear did not include electronics. Having to learn that stuff.
Kelly
Huey crewchief, doorgunner, mechanic, nam 71/72. I agree, how hard can it be to fix a car.. not like you gotta park on a cloud if something breaks. Went with helicoptesr cause I like machanics, thus the Ghostridert nic.. 60th Assault helicopter company ( Ghostriders), 2 corp, central vietnam
Old 08-10-2014, 10:55 PM
Mortsciguy
Instructor

VT-27, VC-13 and VP-93. Worked on T-28 Trojans, A4-L/TA4-j Skyhawks, and P-3B Orions. Oct. '73 to Nov. '78. Closest I got to VN was Cuba in '76. Thank you for your service, Ghoastrider. Door duty was a tough gig.
Kelly

Get notified of new replies

To when it rains,it pours.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: when it rains,it pours.