C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Took the greenwood wing off

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2014, 12:46 PM
Carbd84
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Took the greenwood wing off

Hey all. Last night my project was removing the Greenwood wing from my '84, filling the holes and repainting the rear bumper. Filling the holes was easy just used urethane filler then sanded and primed the bumper cover. In the process I found out that my car has been eight different colors throughout its life and apparently it was originally black. The car went from Black to red, blue, red, white, red, maroon and then finally red yet again.

Once I got it primed, painted and cleared last night I shut off the lights in the garage, left the ventilation system on and called it a night. This morning I take the masking off (whole car covered) and find out that the red is a completely different shade. So now I have to sand the bumper cover down again and respray it, after I find paint that matches.
Old 07-19-2014, 03:01 PM
QCVette
Le Mans Master

Received 626 Likes on 488 Posts

I have often wondered about filling the holes and how hard it would be to fill. Any more details or pictures?

Wow, 8 different colors. That is really a lot of painting.

Good luck with the color match.
Old 07-19-2014, 03:23 PM
Carbd84
Instructor

Originally Posted by QCVette
I have often wondered about filling the holes and how hard it would be to fill. Any more details or pictures?

Wow, 8 different colors. That is really a lot of painting.

Good luck with the color match.
Urethane filler is kind of like a 2 part epoxy. The brand I use comes as two tubes connected so you get a 50/50 mix. It is extremely difficult to work with so its important it gets put down smooth without much excess as its not very sand paper friendly. But when it cures its just as flexible as the bumper cover so no worries with it cracking. To make it easier to fill the holes I made them into rough cones by cutting the bumper cover with a razor blade to make sure the holes would be filled entirely.

No pictures because I had to work fast.
Old 07-20-2014, 12:48 PM
GKK
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

It'll take several test spray outs, to get the color close especially, since the original color has faded some.

Always, check the color with the paint dry and in the sun. Also, there are several Variations to the same color code. You have to find the closest color variation match and start with that mix to start the color matching process.

That's why good quality body shops always, "Blend" the new color onto the adjacent panels.

Last edited by GKK; 07-20-2014 at 12:51 PM.
Old 07-21-2014, 12:45 PM
Carbd84
Instructor

Originally Posted by GKK
It'll take several test spray outs, to get the color close especially, since the original color has faded some.

Always, check the color with the paint dry and in the sun. Also, there are several Variations to the same color code. You have to find the closest color variation match and start with that mix to start the color matching process.

That's why good quality body shops always, "Blend" the new color onto the adjacent panels.
The issue I had was that the red wasn't the factory red I will post a pic up tonight of the factory red vs the red on my car later tonight when I get home from work.

I did find a paint that matches nearly perfect and now I'm just waiting for the paint to cure fully before wet sanding and buffing. I can tell the shade is a bit off if I look directly at the paint from about a foot away but as soon as you step back it looks identical. So it will do until the car gets repainted entirely.

In addition to removing the wing I gave the vette a black halo and got rid of the two tone. The entire top half of the rear bumper was resprayed so there is fresh paint showing in the picture. Pic was taken just before dusk so not the best lighting.

Old 07-21-2014, 12:54 PM
79C3tnd
Pro

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

I love the color and "look" of the car! The black wheels really accent it well, especially with the black trim. Nice work!
Old 07-25-2014, 01:31 AM
murraybob
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Carbd84
Hey all. Last night my project was removing the Greenwood wing from my '84, filling the holes and repainting the rear bumper. Filling the holes was easy just used urethane filler then sanded and primed the bumper cover. In the process I found out that my car has been eight different colors throughout its life and apparently it was originally black. The car went from Black to red, blue, red, white, red, maroon and then finally red yet again.

Once I got it primed, painted and cleared last night I shut off the lights in the garage, left the ventilation system on and called it a night. This morning I take the masking off (whole car covered) and find out that the red is a completely different shade. So now I have to sand the bumper cover down again and respray it, after I find paint that matches.
I think I will just leave mine on. A lot less hassle.
Old 07-25-2014, 02:20 PM
Midnight 85
Le Mans Master

Received 53 Likes on 31 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified

Originally Posted by murraybob
I think I will just leave mine on. A lot less hassle.
and I really dislike my wing.

Get notified of new replies

To Took the greenwood wing off

Quick Reply: Took the greenwood wing off