C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

86 dash cluster

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2014, 11:55 AM
scopeli
Burning Brakes

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

Default 86 dash cluster

on the 1986 dash cluster I have all gauges working, but the lighting to the cluster stopped working. what part needs to be changed to get the cluster to light up. also, where is the best place to send the cluster for repairs and what can I expect to pay? the search format is not allowing me to view past posts.
Old 07-12-2014, 01:16 PM
DinoBob
Melting Slicks

Received 361 Likes on 205 Posts

Do a google search for "batee". You will learn everything you need to know. I removed my own cluster and replaced all my bulbs with Xenon.
Old 07-12-2014, 02:58 PM
hcbph
Safety Car

Received 525 Likes on 475 Posts

Default Info

Start reading here: http://www.batee.com/
I've only heard good things about his repairs and info.
Old 07-12-2014, 11:18 PM
ghoastrider1
Le Mans Master

Received 265 Likes on 240 Posts

there is an outfit just outside of Evansville In. that rebuilds those.
Old 07-13-2014, 12:23 AM
scopeli
Burning Brakes

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by ghoastrider1
there is an outfit just outside of Evansville In. that rebuilds those.
seen a place called tabers corvette parts in southern Indiana. I also seen ecklers advertises a repair service for the gauge service. I figured this was the best site to get feedback on the various shops that repair the clusters and shops that have reasonable repair cost.
Old 07-13-2014, 11:07 AM
HlhnEast
Safety Car

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

If you need to, I understand Bryan's (batee.com) prices are reasonable. He has owned a C4 and has taken the time to share his knowledge with the community. He is an electrical engineer and other than the original designers is probly the definitive go to guy on the digital dash. Support him as he has supported us.

The info on batee will probly help you solve your issue if your the least bit handy. There may not be an issue with the dash itself. Most likely its a ground issue so check that first for continuity. If that doesnt solve your issue, it may be a problem with a cold solder joint or the interboard connector which was my issue. I saw where the connector had burnt marks and I soldered a jumper around the connector.

Good luck!
Old 07-13-2014, 11:34 AM
jgadbois
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I lost the lighting to my dash about a month ago. Replaced the bulbs and discovered most of them had already been out as the display is now much brighter.

I bought a bulb kit from the auction site and replaced them all while I had it apart.
Old 07-13-2014, 11:56 AM
fredd1
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

The dash cluster has two main circuit boards connected by a 12 pin connector in the upper right corner (once the back cover is removed -see pict. below). The original lamps draw a fairly high current and the end connecting pins supplying the lamp circuit on the lower board tend to burn out. This might be your problem if all the lamps are out. The other main possibilities are the caps on the power supply or the photo-diode voltage regulator that controls the lamps' brightness. You can get replacements for all these components from Batee (http://www.batee.com/corvette/dcrg/s...connector.html) as others have mentioned.
Old 07-13-2014, 01:20 PM
bruce017
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '13
Default Dash repair

Originally Posted by fredd1
The dash cluster has two main circuit boards connected by a 12 pin connector in the upper right corner (once the back cover is removed -see pict. below). The original lamps draw a fairly high current and the end connecting pins supplying the lamp circuit on the lower board tend to burn out. This might be your problem if all the lamps are out. The other main possibilities are the caps on the power supply or the photo-diode voltage regulator that controls the lamps' brightness. You can get replacements for all these components from Batee (http://www.batee.com/corvette/dcrg/s...connector.html) as others have mentioned.
I have a 88, took mine to Tabers, only live about 3 hours north of them, nice drive and good service, they remove, repair and replace while I waited, about1 1/2 hours, probly less, nice people, great service, about 240.00 for repair, 35.00 to remove and replace dash. Very happy with them

Last edited by bruce017; 07-13-2014 at 01:22 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 07-13-2014, 10:06 PM
Corvettewaldon
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had same problem with my 86, I ordered bulbs, took the time to take apart and change bulbs. Didn't solve the problem. I had to put back in to continue driving the car. Now I need to take back out and send in. I also was told about bate, seemed to be good place, just have to get up the money. He said it probably need to be re-soldered. Good Luck
Old 07-15-2014, 03:29 PM
86GreenwoodVette
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14

http://www.techni-car.com/products-services.php

Check these guys for everything from dash repairs to radio repairs- I had a C4 in Tampa, I drove my car there, pulled the dash, they fixed it same day 3 hours.
I live in Las vegas now, restored another 86 - I sent them the dash and my dash from my Tahoe- great work !

Get notified of new replies

To 86 dash cluster

Quick Reply: 86 dash cluster