96 radiator fan relay question

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2014, 10:55 PM
dietDrThunder
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 96 radiator fan relay question

Ok, first of all I _swear_ I searched first

I went to replace the three fan relays today, and the only replacement relays I found were the bare relay without the housing that they live in. I looked at the relays on the car, and while they are obviously 2 pieces (the actual relay, and the housing it sits in) I can't see a way to actually get them out to replace the w/o ruining the housing.

Could someone list some vendors/part numbers for the whole relay/housing part, or alternately let me in on the secret of getting the old relays out?

Please note that I'm not talking about the part that stays on the car wen you unpllug the relay...just the relay/housing that you have in your hand when yo uunplug the relay. Here are pics to illustrate.

This is what I get when I remove the relay from the car. See how the relay (this is the 5 pin one, but all three are like this) itself is down inside the housing?

This is what the relay itself w/ no housing looks like, and this is all I found in stock at the local Advance Auto Parts:

Any info is appreciated. Thanks!
Old 07-12-2014, 01:01 AM
Hooked on Vettes
Melting Slicks

Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by dietDrThunder
Could someone list some vendors/part numbers for the whole relay/housing part, or alternately let me in on the secret of getting the old relays out?
The Advance Auto relay is a generic one and should work. If you see no method of spreading the housing to pull the relay out, buy the OEM relay locally if you can. It is a AC Delco 15-8719.

Here's a genuine AC Delco on Ebay for $16.24 shipped.

This relay has multiple uses. In the E-bay ad it says it's used for a blower motor.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Blower-motor-relay-ACDelco-15-8719-GM-part-12193601-new-OEM-General-Motors-/331239947344?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4d1f707c50&vxp=mtr

Last edited by Hooked on Vettes; 07-12-2014 at 01:15 AM.
Old 07-12-2014, 01:11 AM
dietDrThunder
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Hooked on Vettes
The Advance Auto relay is a generic one which should work but as you can see the housing is not like the OEM.

Here's a genuine AC Delco on Ebay for $16.24 shipped.

If you buy local the AC Delco part number is 15-8719. This relay has multiple uses. In the E-bay ad it says it's used for a blower motor.

Blower Motor Relay ACDelco 15 8719 GM Part 12193601 New General Motors | eBay
Thanks for that...part number is useful. I actually did see this one at one store but couldn't find the 4 pin ones w/ the housing. Any leas on that one would be awesome. Thanks!
Old 07-12-2014, 05:08 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,263 Likes on 2,026 Posts

Originally Posted by dietDrThunder
Thanks for that...part number is useful. I actually did see this one at one store but couldn't find the 4 pin ones w/ the housing. Any leas on that one would be awesome. Thanks!
12193603 is the original number for the 4-pin "shrouded" relay. There is e-Bay availability for that also in the correct gray configuration. Search by the 12193603. The 12193601 is the original 5-pin "shrouded" and will be black NOT gray.

There could be stock on some dealers shelves still also. The now current replacements will be different.

Do you have an issue that you feel requires replacement of all 3? If there's a pick-a-part near you, you could get several "cheap"!!

Last edited by WVZR-1; 07-12-2014 at 05:16 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To 96 radiator fan relay question

Quick Reply: 96 radiator fan relay question