C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

brakes not releasing

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2014, 08:25 PM
BLTN95
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default brakes not releasing

Hey there, looking for some help in diagnosing a brake problem. After the car warms up, the brakes do not always fully release after stopping. I can be on a slight incline and the car will not roll, after driving again it seems to release, and once I parked it without the emergency brake on and found it had rolled out to level ground, so the brakes do eventually release....
*I have checked the wheels and they are warm but not hot, and of equal temp
*When I first drive the car, there is an inch or more of free travel in the pedal before braking starts, when it starts to drag there is no free play left in the pedal
*It seems that if I brake very lightly, it does not seem to stay braked

It seems like the entire system, not just one wheel is holding pressure after the pedal is released. I have done a visual inspection and see no obvious issues with the brake lines, etc.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated,

Thank, Bob
Old 07-09-2014, 10:50 PM
jv9999
Melting Slicks

Received 318 Likes on 272 Posts

What you describe can happen if the M/C isn't returning far enough to open the bleed holes. One thing you can try is to temporarily put a couple washers between the booster and the master cylinder bolts to shim it out a little. If that fixes it, you can adjust the push rod.
Old 07-11-2014, 09:51 PM
BLTN95
Intermediate

Originally Posted by jv9999
What you describe can happen if the M/C isn't returning far enough to open the bleed holes. One thing you can try is to temporarily put a couple washers between the booster and the master cylinder bolts to shim it out a little. If that fixes it, you can adjust the push rod.
Thank You very much.....I really appreciate your taking time to help out. Looks like I should be able to space it out without removing the brake lines, is that correct? Are we looking at 1/4 to 3/8 inches?
Old 07-11-2014, 10:14 PM
jv9999
Melting Slicks

Received 318 Likes on 272 Posts

Originally Posted by BLTN95
Thank You very much.....I really appreciate your taking time to help out. Looks like I should be able to space it out without removing the brake lines, is that correct? Are we looking at 1/4 to 3/8 inches?
Just a washer's worth. 1/8" maybe. No need to disconnect anything.
Old 07-12-2014, 08:50 PM
BLTN95
Intermediate

Originally Posted by jv9999
Just a washer's worth. 1/8" maybe. No need to disconnect anything.
Will do, hope it makes a difference....Thanks again
Old 11-20-2014, 08:08 PM
Wendell Allen
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So what was your issue and what fixed it? I'm having the same problem, only at one point, my car wasn't even drivable. I was lucky to get it off the road at one point. Once it cooled down, I was able to make it home, but the problem persists.
Old 11-22-2014, 09:54 PM
Ed Ramberger
Drifting

Received 435 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by Wendell Allen
So what was your issue and what fixed it? I'm having the same problem, only at one point, my car wasn't even drivable. I was lucky to get it off the road at one point. Once it cooled down, I was able to make it home, but the problem persists.
I've seen this with over-filled fluid.

Get notified of new replies

To brakes not releasing

Quick Reply: brakes not releasing