C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

C4 Popularity among enthusiast

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2014, 03:07 PM
AlaJoe
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Default C4 Popularity among enthusiast

Why is the C4 seem to be the "red headed stepchild" of corvettes. I recently joined a local corvette club. In it are 143 Corvettes broke down as follows:
C7-4
C6-49
C5-38
C4-14
C3-26
C2-10
C1-3
The number of C4s seems very disproportionate. There is almost twice as many C3's and almost as many C2's.
Old 07-08-2014, 03:14 PM
tbirdsps
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

It's because C4s are the middle child. LOL
Old 07-08-2014, 10:48 PM
FOURSPEEDVETTE
Safety Car

Received 224 Likes on 156 Posts

If that's the way this club looks at C4's, maybe you need to join another club. You'll soon learn that when you talk to other Corvette owners in a club, the generation of Vette they have is always the best. At least in their minds. Ignore them and know you have the "best bang for your buck" Vette made.
Old 07-08-2014, 11:42 PM
ChiliPepperGarage
Melting Slicks

Received 600 Likes on 316 Posts

I think the C4 is the step between the new and old Vettes.

C3's and below are old school, classic Vettes. Not so great riding or handling (but not bad) yet had that Vette muscle feel to them. Timeless design and can't be mistaken for anything but a Vette.

The newer cars are refined, world class sports cars that do everything well. They lack the rawness of the earlier cars though.

The C4 falls right in the middle. Still has a muscle car feel to it but gets decent gas mileage, handles great, ride's not too bad and can be driven anywhere.

The early guys dismiss it as a "new car" and not a real classic Vette. The new car guys dismiss it as low performance, old design, and not worthy to be grouped with their more expensive cars.

The only love your C4 is gonna get from Vette guys is going to be from another C4 owner!
Old 07-09-2014, 12:05 AM
3JsVette
Race Director

Received 2,466 Likes on 1,641 Posts

The C4 replaced a chassis that was introduced in 1962. With it's alloy components it was a major leap forward but now with 30 additional years of development many consider the C4 outdated. Every generation of Corvette has been an improvement of the generation that it replaced. Unfortunately the C4 is a victim of a technology driven and rapidly advancing world. It's a great Corvette and a capable sports car for not a lot of money. Yes the C5 and C6 are "better" but they also cost more and require more sophisticated equipment to repair. You have to decide what fits your budget and talent level the best.
Old 07-09-2014, 02:22 AM
Hot Rod Roy
Safety Car

Received 536 Likes on 453 Posts

I've never felt any rejection of my '84 at any show or cruise I've entered, and I frequently get positive comments when I stop for fuel. Maybe it's my own positive attitude that rejects any negative innuendos. All I know is that I've had too much with my 'vette for the last 10 years!

Old 07-09-2014, 08:14 AM
ps374
Melting Slicks

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

I think that many of the C4s are well respected when you bring up the Zr1, Calloway or other limiited production C4s. But just about everybody likes to whip the 84. For some reason the Crossfire engine is suppose to be a death trap that breaks down and goes on fire. Even though the 82 has the say engine the 84s crossfire engine is suppose to be the worse. Why that is I have no answer expect ignorance. The 84 is also suppose to be the worst riding Corvette ever build, but I think anyone who has ridden in a C1 will agree that is not so. With that being said I find most who want a C1 and can afford it wont hesitate to drop near seventy grand or more to get one struggling all the while to steer it and stop it. The C4 has so much going for it with its clam shell hood, low jet fighter feel I am surprised the value of these cars is so low. As old as they are there performance is respectable when you consider mid 1970s models that have well under 200 HP and are selling for thousands more. They are fun to drive and they share all the previous Corvettes mystique, Something I often feel the newer ones lack reguardless how much faster they perform.
Old 07-09-2014, 09:08 AM
pmcnabb
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Default The Club

My Mang, forget what the boys at the club say, all that matters is what you feel, I can take my C4 out for a cruze and if I stop anywhere just about all the time I will get a comment and never had a negative one yet, true she has coil overs so a fine stance, true new paint in 2012 that has a mirror finish so deep even my ol *** looks good, after market rims, tires she is a beauty in my mind so forget the haters...now, you feelin dat C4 luv..
Old 07-09-2014, 11:40 AM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

Originally Posted by Hot Rod Roy
I've never felt any rejection, and I frequently get positive comments when I stop for fuel.
This has been my experience too; pretty much only positive feed back. Even had a college-aged girl prefer my C4 over my C6. That was a surprise.
Old 07-09-2014, 12:55 PM
tombrammer
Pro

Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts

For us who can't afford a c5/6 the C4 is a great deal. Fully independent 4 wheel forged aluminum suspension, light weight fiberglass body, very low center of gravity, staggered front to back tires all combined to make for excellent handling. The clam shell hood is unique and pretty cool looking along with the whole body style still looks pretty good even today. So we can enjoy our red headed stepchild and who cares what people think.
Old 07-09-2014, 01:04 PM
Dt86
Safety Car

Received 482 Likes on 342 Posts

I think overall the C4's are the best bang for the buck except when it comes to gaining horsepower. The TPI is not so easily modified as compared to C3's. Dollar for dollar spent on motor parts you will get more ponies out of a non TPI car. And there are more options for non TPI. Most people who have newer or older Corvettes just don't like the C4 body style as much. People with newer Corvettes don't want an older car to "maintain". I love the C4 body and interior and I enjoy turning wrenches so it fits my bill.
Old 07-09-2014, 01:30 PM
GKK
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I think "Condition" is a major reason for rejection...

I see a lot of uncared for, C3's and C4's around.

These Vette's look awful with faded cracked paint, worn out tires, filthy interiors, filthy engine bays, misaligned body panels etc...

My "91" is a daily driver and I keep it looking it's best everyday! It looks more modern now with the 19x10" wheels and it gets a lot of compliments from Vette owners of all generations!...

I parked it at a local Cars & Coffee and a C6 ZO6 owner parked his car behind mine and got out and took a picture of both our Vettes! I thought that was cool!

Also, I think Corvette clubs are boring...I like to see and talk about cars of all kinds and cruising with over a hundred Vettes seems Blah too me...

Last edited by GKK; 07-09-2014 at 01:39 PM.
Old 07-09-2014, 01:42 PM
Little Red L98
Goon Squad BS Detector
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 428 Likes on 125 Posts
2018 C4 of the Year Winner
2017 C4 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '15, '17

There's a little something for everyone in this year old Off Topic thread.

link
Old 07-09-2014, 02:20 PM
Paul Workman
Le Mans Master

Received 500 Likes on 395 Posts

Geeze... In the club I belong to ALL of them are C4s!!! The demographics of one club does not establish the "norm" - least not for me.

You mileage may vary....
Old 07-09-2014, 03:08 PM
JVH
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think the low horsepower perception of the early C4's has something to do with it. In my area I just don't see many vettes at all so when I pull up somewhere its always well received.
Old 07-09-2014, 03:58 PM
Docderek05
Racer

I think its pretty interesting to go to my club, with my c4, which is fairly pristine, clean... not too modded, and watch the c6 and c7 guys hand each other trophies for having a few more dollars to spend on a toy. It has gone to the point that I feel like they should just go to the Dealer, and stand in a showroom and hand each other trophies for Best in Show, Cleanest, Nicest...etc. it's lame. It's a Glorified Supper Club really..let's caravan 50 miles and have ice cream. If there was a C4 only club..I would be one of the founding members, I see the C4 owners and earlier Gens as the Backbone of the club, if you ask them a technical question..they don't say..."call a flatbed and get the dealer to service it". What I dread is the day I am caravanning along with the Club. and have a problem, and watch about 50 c5,C6, and 7s leave my wife and I on the side of the road with a handshake and a good luck, call AAA smile, as I know it's coming...
Old 07-09-2014, 04:36 PM
active1951
Instructor

Originally Posted by AlaJoe
Why is the C4 seem to be the "red headed stepchild" of corvettes.
Now I know why I bought a C4, because I be a redhead(well it ain't as red as it used to be)...

Get notified of new replies

To C4 Popularity among enthusiast

Old 07-09-2014, 06:00 PM
active1951
Instructor

Default car club numbers

The nearest car club in this area has twice as many C5s as C4s or C3s.

None of these C5 owners do any wrenching, in fact most let one of the C4 owners do they're wrenching for them. I told them I won't touch one, gettin too old to start over. I really don't have much to say to them, I am usually talking to other folks with older cars

If we progress ahead 10 years, wonder if more C5 owners will wrench.

I had a LS1 Camaro that felt like it had a electric motor in it, strong and smooth, but so are BMWs. The camaro was not as difficult to work on as a LS1 Vette. My C4 LT1 with a few LT4 parts, pulls stronger than than the LS1.

I had a C3 years ago when they were not so popular for all the same reasons as C4s are not so popular now. After 10 years, sold it for 200 bucks more than I paid for it. I probably put 500 bucks of parts in it. Of course if I included my labor, the cost would have been much more.

Your local Corvette car club has 91 post 1997 vettes and 53 pre 1997 vettes. I have never heard of a club like that. Is it associated with new car dealerships?

Last edited by active1951; 07-10-2014 at 05:05 PM.
Old 07-09-2014, 07:53 PM
12 inches
Instructor

With the love fest going on in this thread about how wonderful the C4 is. What if all corvettes had the same price tag on them for every year. Would you still buy a C4?
Old 07-09-2014, 08:24 PM
Red08
Le Mans Master

Received 1,441 Likes on 780 Posts

Originally Posted by ChiliPepperGarage
I think the C4 is the step between the new and old Vettes.

C3's and below are old school, classic Vettes. Not so great riding or handling (but not bad) yet had that Vette muscle feel to them. Timeless design and can't be mistaken for anything but a Vette.

The newer cars are refined, world class sports cars that do everything well. They lack the rawness of the earlier cars though.

The C4 falls right in the middle. Still has a muscle car feel to it but gets decent gas mileage, handles great, ride's not too bad and can be driven anywhere.

The early guys dismiss it as a "new car" and not a real classic Vette. The new car guys dismiss it as low performance, old design, and not worthy to be grouped with their more expensive cars.

The only love your C4 is gonna get from Vette guys is going to be from another C4 owner!
Thats an interesting way to address the question.

Quick Reply: C4 Popularity among enthusiast