C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

C4 Popularity among enthusiast

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2014, 11:55 AM
ch@0s
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe C
I used to have a 69 coupe - it was hot, noisy, terrible gas mileage, not exceptionally fast, and handled for crap. sure was a looker though....

...and I forgot, leaked like a sieve!
Pretty
Old 07-27-2014, 01:22 PM
FOURSPEEDVETTE
Safety Car

Received 224 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by triumphmaster
I agree with you about the angle, so I have a white C4 and I am going to do just that, break up the line with a red double pin stripe to go with the red interior. It is going to make it look so much more meaner and a couple of red stripes down the hood lines also. The car is in perfect condition, but I am going to wash it then clay it all. then apply the pin stripes and finish it off with a couple of coats of Mcguirers wax. I find this wax to be great for long lasting and a very deep shine. I have detailed cars for years and everybody loves my eye when it comes to striping the best lines to show of the real curves of the cars that I have done. I never had one complaint, always lots of compliments and cash tips, so I think that I am on the proper aspect of breaking up the best lines without over doing it.
Look at a few C4's with pinstripes down the sides before you actually do it. You may not like them on a C4. They always look as though they're trying to create a body line that's not there in my opinion. Kind of cheap looking. Look into front fender accent stripes. They are the two stripes that go over the side of the front drivers side fender. You might like them better.
Old 07-27-2014, 01:24 PM
CurveLover
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with you about the angle, so I have a white C4 and I am going to do just that, break up the line with a red double pin stripe to go with the red interior. It is going to make it look so much more meaner and a couple of red stripes down the hood lines also. The car is in perfect condition, but I am going to wash it then clay it all. then apply the pin stripes and finish it off with a couple of coats of Mcguirers wax. I find this wax to be great for long lasting and a very deep shine. I have detailed cars for years and everybody loves my eye when it comes to striping the best lines to show of the real curves of the cars that I have done. I never had one complaint, always lots of compliments and cash tips, so I think that I am on the proper aspect of breaking up the best lines without over doing it.
That's exactly the vision I have for my 93 C4- to stripe it just right. I want to particularly enhance the clam shell on the hood. I've wondered if perhaps solid black in the low spots, and maybe white, thin pinstripes on the highest ridges might do it. But before I put any effort into that, I have a lot of work to do on mine to get it pinstripe ready.

To me, the C4's beauty lies in that it is sleek without being slimy, bold without being abusive, and combines styling elements from many other sports cars. It seems to reduce it all down into a nice tight package that is not overstated in any way. Sorta like the big tittie debate: you might like the big ones, but the smaller ones respond much better.

In what little I have thought about my finished car's looks, I have considered adding a rear wing spoiler. I kinda like them in general, just not sure it would go well on this particular car. I've seen some pics, and remain undecided. I would like some pointers to a high mount 3rd (or 4th, really) brake light though up near the roof line- cause even the 3rd stock light in the middle is not near high enough for soccer mom in her suv to see it...

Last edited by CurveLover; 07-27-2014 at 10:04 PM.
Old 07-27-2014, 06:56 PM
triumphmaster
Intermediate

Default Rear Wing

Originally Posted by CurveLover
That's exactly the vision I have for my 93 C4- to stripe it just right. I want to particularly enhance the clam shell on the hood. I've wondered if perhaps solid black in the low spots, and maybe white, thin pinstripes on the highest ridges might do it. But before I put any effort into that, I have a lot of work to do on mine to get it pinstripe ready.

To me, the C4's beauty lies in that it is sleek without being slimy, bold without being abusive, and combines styling elements from many other sports cars. It seems to reduces it all down into a nice tight package that is not overstated in any way. Sorta like the big tittie debate: you might like the big ones, but the smaller ones respond much better.

In what little I have thought about my finished car's looks, I have considered adding a rear wing spoiler. I kinda like them in general, just not sure it would go well on this particular car. I've seen some pics, and remain undecided. I would like some pointers to a high mount 3rd (or 4th, really) brake light though up near the roof line- cause even the 3rd stock light in the middle is not near high enough for soccer mom in her suv to see it...
I really do not like a wing on this generation of Vetts. I it would take away from the sleek style it already has, plus you have all the yuppie imports putting them on, to me it is insulting the car itself, just my thoughts, everybody has there vision of what they want and like. The stripes you talked about sound pretty good, but I would have to actually mock one up to see if I liked it first, and if so just go for it. Like I said everybody has there own taste of what they like. Good vision though, it sound interesting, Good luck!
Old 07-27-2014, 07:32 PM
Old Ben
Team Owner

Received 128 Likes on 98 Posts
2017 C6 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by chevyc4man
The c4 has it's own unique style. No need to put it down. If you ask me the c6 is fairly generic looking.
I agree. The C-1 thru 4s stand out. The C-5 & 6 are too similar to other cars out there.
Old 07-27-2014, 08:16 PM
sahhas
Pro

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

i actually saw a C4 convertible (white) drive by my house today, i live by a lake and we have lots of recreation traffic in the summer, honestly don't see a lot of C4s on the road, it was a cool looking car....and honestly it looked like nothing else going by, that's for sure.

as for the stripe/pinstripe, i'll agree that i 'm not sure i'm seeing the C4s w/ pinstripes or stripes, although i do like the model that is blue w/ the white stripe down it...they are cool...it's more racing stripe look.

this quote:
" used to have a 69 coupe - it was hot, noisy, terrible gas mileage, not exceptionally fast, and handled for crap. sure was a looker though...."

ok, the picture of the car is cool (of course), but the former owner has said nothing good about it...yet we all lust after these models (or most do)...it's too funny honestly!!!!
Old 07-27-2014, 10:49 PM
Joe C
Race Director

Received 700 Likes on 589 Posts

Originally Posted by sahhas
this quote:
" used to have a 69 coupe - it was hot, noisy, terrible gas mileage, not exceptionally fast, and handled for crap. sure was a looker though...."

ok, the picture of the car is cool (of course), but the former owner has said nothing good about it...yet we all lust after these models (or most do)...it's too funny honestly!!!!
well, I said "sure was a looker though...."
Old 07-27-2014, 11:14 PM
wingnut96lt4
Intermediate

Default C4s are a better car

C4s I think is what a Corvette should look like. I had a 1984 for nine years and just got a 1996 L T 4. So I had the first and the last and loved them both The under powered Crosssfire to the One Year L T 4 Lot of power
Old 07-27-2014, 11:22 PM
triumphmaster
Intermediate

Default Stripes

Originally Posted by FOURSPEEDVETTE
Look at a few C4's with pinstripes down the sides before you actually do it. You may not like them on a C4. They always look as though they're trying to create a body line that's not there in my opinion. Kind of cheap looking. Look into front fender accent stripes. They are the two stripes that go over the side of the front drivers side fender. You might like them better.
Ya, but everybody has them, I want mine different, and there are lines, you just do not see them yet!
Old 07-28-2014, 07:59 AM
DinoBob
Melting Slicks

Received 365 Likes on 206 Posts

With all respect due to the posters here, the "personalization" angle is one of the key reasons, I believe, that C4s have a hard time gaining the respect of other generations. In particular, the rear spoiler assortment available for these cars. This is my opinion only, but I feel that GM got it right and the "enhancements" look silly.
Old 07-28-2014, 04:53 PM
MavsAK
Melting Slicks

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by DinoBob
With all respect due to the posters here, the "personalization" angle is one of the key reasons, I believe, that C4s have a hard time gaining the respect of other generations. In particular, the rear spoiler assortment available for these cars. This is my opinion only, but I feel that GM got it right and the "enhancements" look silly.
If Corvette owners of other gens are so stodgy they can't take a little personalization they need to get their life priorities in order.
There's a lot worse things out there to worry about than what people do to their cars, just saying.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news for those pour souls.
But Corvettes are Chevrolets. No matter how tarted up chevy's PR campaign is. It's a Chevy. It will always be a Chevy. These are not Ferraris. Thank God. (and people personalize Ferraris and Lambos. ALL the time. Should see what the japanese do to lamborghinis. The "purists" on this forum would have a coronary on the spot)
Old 07-28-2014, 07:36 PM
FOURSPEEDVETTE
Safety Car

[QUOTE=MavsAK;1587465094]
But Corvettes are Chevrolets. No matter how tarted up chevy's PR campaign is. It's a Chevy. It will always be a Chevy.

It's definitely a Chevrolet, but I think the "Chevrolet" identification ends at the door going into the dealership. If you take a complete all around look and test drive of a brand new C7 Corvette, there is nothing there that will even come close to making you think it's an everyday run of the mill Chevy. Not by a long shot. I don't recall seeing the name "Chevrolet" anywhere on the new Corvette. These new Corvettes are world class super cars. Actually, they are probably more dependable than most Ferrari's and other import supercars. And yet they can be purchased at far less money than the fancy boy cars. Corvettes will always be in a league of their own.
Old 07-28-2014, 07:43 PM
MavsAK
Melting Slicks

[QUOTE=FOURSPEEDVETTE;1587466450]
Originally Posted by MavsAK
But Corvettes are Chevrolets. No matter how tarted up chevy's PR campaign is. It's a Chevy. It will always be a Chevy.

It's definitely a Chevrolet, but I think the "Chevrolet" identification ends at the door going into the dealership. If you take a complete all around look and test drive of a brand new C7 Corvette, there is nothing there that will even come close to making you think it's an everyday run of the mill Chevy. Not by a long shot. I don't recall seeing the name "Chevrolet" anywhere on the new Corvette. These new Corvettes are world class super cars. Actually, they are probably more dependable than most Ferrari's and other import supercars. And yet they can be purchased at far less money than the fancy boy cars. Corvettes will always be in a league of their own.
It's got a truck engine. The interior still isn't on par with Ferrari and Lambo. Panel gap alignment is inconsistent, as is the levels of orange peel. Interior panel gaps also, are inconsistent. Don't get me wrong the Corvette, especially the Stingray are amazing cars.

But let's not kid ourselves. No matter what GM does (even if it came with highpriced call girls and call boys with every purchase free of charge), the Corvette will never be percieved as more than a Chevrolet, outside of our community. The same monkeys who service your Cruze will be servicing your car at the dealer. You won't get a Stingray, or likely not even a Camaro SS as your loaner car. It'll be an Impala if you're lucky. It still has GM's notoriously laughably dealership experience.

I don't think I've ever seen a BMW with 150,000 on the odometer (or anywhere near it) let alone one that's 25 years old Still On The Road without a major rebuild. Yes our cars are phenomenally dependable. But again... to most of the 'car world' (ie the posers with more money than brains) it's Only a Chevy.

We don't have some collectible exotic that has a reason to remain "pure" and pristine. We have a mass produced supercar slayer, that will likely never be collectible due to the volume of them made. So you might as well build it to your tastes.

Last edited by MavsAK; 07-28-2014 at 07:48 PM.
Old 07-28-2014, 08:54 PM
triumphmaster
Intermediate

Default Chevy's

[QUOTE=MavsAK;1587466489]

It's got a truck engine. The interior still isn't on par with Ferrari and Lambo. Panel gap alignment is inconsistent, as is the levels of orange peel. Interior panel gaps also, are inconsistent. Don't get me wrong the Corvette, especially the Stingray are amazing cars.

But let's not kid ourselves. No matter what GM does (even if it came with highpriced call girls and call boys with every purchase free of charge), the Corvette will never be percieved as more than a Chevrolet, outside of our community. The same monkeys who service your Cruze will be servicing your car at the dealer. You won't get a Stingray, or likely not even a Camaro SS as your loaner car. It'll be an Impala if you're lucky. It still has GM's notoriously laughably dealership experience.

I don't think I've ever seen a BMW with 150,000 on the odometer (or anywhere near it) let alone one that's 25 years old Still On The Road without a major rebuild. Yes our cars are phenomenally dependable. But again... to most of the 'car world' (ie the posers with more money than brains) it's Only a Chevy.

We don't have some collectible exotic that has a reason to remain "pure" and pristine. We have a mass produced supercar slayer, that will likely never be collectible due to the volume of them made. So you might as well build it to your tastes.
Al lI can say is (YOU ARE NOT A CHEVY MAN)
Old 07-28-2014, 09:31 PM
MavsAK
Melting Slicks

Al lI can say is (YOU ARE NOT A CHEVY MAN)
Actually I am.
I'm just not suffering some sense that the car has to be Pure.
Why? I don't think any of us are driving a C4 that's going to be up for a barret jackson auction and hit the 6 figure mark.

I'll stuff a Chevy engine into a Ford. Whatever.
Last time I checked, every car I've owned with the exception of ONE car has been a Chevrolet. That One car was a Pontiac Firebird. (gen 4)
That means 3 of my cars have been Chevys. 2 Camaros, (85, and an 86) and my 89 C4.

When I play racing videogames, I go straight for the Corvettes, Camaros, and GMs.

When I watch races on TV? I root for Team Corvette, the Camaros, and the Caddies.

The corvette is not an Exotic.
Thinking otherwise makes YOU not the chevy man.
The Corvette is a working mans Exotic Slayer. Period. That's what the developers of the car intended it to be. That's what it does with superlative skill. Corvettes, (and all GM performance cars) are Mass Produced. In volumes that far far exceed anything they could have dared hope for in the 60s. Which is exactly why their value hasn't accrued. They don't retain value like a Ferrari. Because Ferrari's actually play the Keep it rare game on purpose. Their entire marketing premise is utterly foreign to how Corvette does it's business. Ferrari's aim is to produce "at least one car less than can be met in demand" at all times. That's why there are more of any generation Corvette in existence, than there have been Ferrari's made period. And that's also why Ferraris are viewed as Exotic. They are Kept Rare. That's also why they resell for as much as they cost from the factory originally or more.

Last edited by MavsAK; 07-28-2014 at 09:35 PM.
Old 07-28-2014, 09:53 PM
FOURSPEEDVETTE
Safety Car

[QUOTE=MavsAK;1587466489][QUOTE=FOURSPEEDVETTE;1587466450]

It's got a truck engine.

Where is this Chevy truck you speak of with the new 2014 Corvette engine? I'd really be interested in buying one. It might turn out to be an exotic one day!
Old 07-28-2014, 10:17 PM
MavsAK
Melting Slicks

[QUOTE=FOURSPEEDVETTE;1587467480][QUOTE=MavsAK;1587466489]

It's got a truck engine.

Where is this Chevy truck you speak of with the new 2014 Corvette engine? I'd really be interested in buying one. It might turn out to be an exotic one day!
Don't be cute.
You know as well as I do the LT1 is going to make it into the Trucks.
Just like the LS3 did.
Actually they might not even have to change the intake runners, and exhaust characteristics all that much for the trucks this go around given how much torque the LT1 delivers at low rpm.
Old 07-29-2014, 12:24 PM
FOURSPEEDVETTE
Safety Car

[QUOTE=MavsAK;1587467650][QUOTE=FOURSPEEDVETTE;1587467480]
Originally Posted by MavsAK

Don't be cute.
You know as well as I do the LT1 is going to make it into the Trucks.
Just like the LS3 did.
Actually they might not even have to change the intake runners, and exhaust characteristics all that much for the trucks this go around given how much torque the LT1 delivers at low rpm.
Anything is possible but seriously, I'm sure GM, with all their current problems, is going to go to all that trouble to make a truck with this new Corvette engine. The line waiting to buy a 500 + hp Corvette powered truck in this economy will be endless for sure. As I see it, it aint gonna happen.
Old 07-29-2014, 07:10 PM
MavsAK
Melting Slicks

[QUOTE=FOURSPEEDVETTE;1587471175][QUOTE=MavsAK;1587467650]

Anything is possible but seriously, I'm sure GM, with all their current problems, is going to go to all that trouble to make a truck with this new Corvette engine. The line waiting to buy a 500 + hp Corvette powered truck in this economy will be endless for sure. As I see it, it aint gonna happen.
460 horse Truck.
Well more likely 430 with retuning.
Seriously man, the 6.2 Aluminum LS is already being used and has been for years in GM's truck fleet. They put a mechanical fan on it, changed the intake, different ECM Tune, different exhaust but otherwise? It's pretty much the same LS3 you find in a C6.

Also have you not seen the price of the V8 trucks lately? they just about start at 38,000 anymore and go into the 50s easy.

Why get butt hurt that the vette is the prototype of the latest and best for the rest of the lineup? That's a good thing.

Last edited by MavsAK; 07-29-2014 at 07:13 PM.

Quick Reply: C4 Popularity among enthusiast