Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

C4 Popularity among enthusiast

Old 07-22-2014, 11:09 PM
FOURSPEEDVETTE
Safety Car

Received 224 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by FAUEE
The value in the C4 is its blend of cheap and performance.

It doesn't have the classic beauty of a C3. It doesn't have the supercar humbling performance of a C5.

What it does have is good performance for very little money, in an overall reliable car. It goes and turns like a sports car should. Some of them even stop like a sports car should.

The bottom line is the C4 is the cheapest Corvette on the block, and it's got some performance to go with it. Heck, the LT4 cars can even almost hang with the C5.

So but to me, the bottom line is unless you just NEED the 80s wedge styling (honestly, I can't tell them apart from the similar era Trans Am half the damn time), the C4 represents a great value when it's significantly cheaper than a C5. When people start wanting like $10k for a C4 that is anything other than a low mileage beauty queen, they've entered "crazy land", because at that price you're nearly in a halfway decent C5.
Sounds like you might be a big fan of C5's also. But I personally have a hard time telling the difference from C5's and Firebird front ends of that generation. The back end of a C5 is ....well...let's just say a bit big. I can't really see C5's holding any type of high value in the future. Face it. Many of them are starting to look worn out. Lots of them are just daily drivers. Nothing special to their owners. In a few years, in my opinion, they will be the low end or entry level Corvettes. Time will only tell.

Last edited by FOURSPEEDVETTE; 07-22-2014 at 11:30 PM.
Old 07-22-2014, 11:28 PM
DinoBob
Melting Slicks

Received 361 Likes on 205 Posts

"Classic beauty of a C3"? Really? While I like a nice C3 very much, I really can't put it in the same league as classic designs like the C2. It's an attractive car, but no more so than the C4.
Old 07-22-2014, 11:30 PM
FOURSPEEDVETTE
Safety Car

Originally Posted by DinoBob
"Classic beauty of a C3"? Really? While I like a nice C3 very much, I really can't put it in the same league as classic designs like the C2. It's an attractive car, but no more so than the C4.
Old 07-22-2014, 11:31 PM
Rebel Rev
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by FOURSPEEDVETTE
Sounds like you might be a big fan of C5's also. But I personally have a hard time telling the difference from C5's and Firebird front ends of that generation. The back end of a C5 is ....well...let's just say a bit big. I can't really see C5's holding any type of high value in the future. Face it. Many of them are starting to look worn out. Lots of them are just daily drivers. Nothing special to their owners. In a few years, in my opinion, they will be the low end or entry level Corvettes. Time will only tell.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...ies/iagree.gif
Old 07-22-2014, 11:46 PM
Silver96ce
Drifting

Received 60 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by DinoBob
Originally Posted by FOURSPEEDVETTE
I'll double down.
Old 07-23-2014, 11:24 AM
sahhas
Pro

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

re: ""Classic beauty of a C3"? "
when i was reading old reviews of all the corvettes through out it's history, well book ended w/ stuff from early 00s...but one of the reviews of an 80s model C3 (can't remember if it was 80, 81, 82), said something of the effect of: this is a tired looking model of a corvette coming from chevy (paraphrase, can't remember the exact wording)....
of course by this time in the car world, there was talk of the corvette redesign and everyone was waiting for it, but it got delayed as we all know...
so to me, it's funny that the media of the day was calling the late C3s "tired looking", and granted the model existed since '68.
as i think of my progression of my search, i didn't love the look of the C4s, but honestly i think they are pretty cool looking cars now, and very comfy to drive! the other funny thing is in my search, there was a C5 ('97) that popped up for sale for $10K. and when i look at it, i'm not so sure about it looks wise for me....of course i know nothing of them, b/c i haven't researched them much at all...
Old 07-23-2014, 01:16 PM
ch@0s
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

I like the C3 but when I compare it to a C4 its just not a complete package. Sure it looks good but that would be like marrying someone for having a nice body then be disappointed because she has a low IQ and cant perform.
Old 07-24-2014, 10:55 AM
BobNJ
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My opinion to the OP, is if the amount of C4 owners does not bother you, you are not treated like a red headed stepchild by members ---- no worries.

Personally, clubs are not for me. I purchased my 94 as I was able to comfortably afford it, paid cash, loved the looks, seating, and the test drive. And --- I like being unique, having items that everyone under the sun does not have.

I also receive many head turns, smiles, waves when I'm out in my black shiny Corvette from non Corvette drivers.

When I see late model Vettes - and any generations - on the road I always wave and I would say 90% of the times they wave back - the other 10% way wonder why I'm waving.

Enjoy the C4....

Bob
Old 07-24-2014, 05:08 PM
abdo
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 21 Posts
2017 Corvette of the Year Finalist
2016 C1 of Year Finalist

Went to another "generic" car show last Sunday. This time I took the '86 coupe because it was a hot day and I wanted air conditioning. I am the original owner and I had a little framed card stating some of the features and that I was the original owner. The engine bay is detailed so I left the hood up.
I was surprised at how many comments I got including compliments on the engine. In the past, the '86 was generally ignored at shows, while my '57 and '61 would get quite a bit of attention.
I think the C4s may be on their way back.
Old 07-24-2014, 05:32 PM
triumphmaster
Intermediate

Default Getting Noticed

Originally Posted by abdo
Went to another "generic" car show last Sunday. This time I took the '86 coupe because it was a hot day and I wanted air conditioning. I am the original owner and I had a little framed card stating some of the features and that I was the original owner. The engine bay is detailed so I left the hood up.
I was surprised at how many comments I got including compliments on the engine. In the past, the '86 was generally ignored at shows, while my '57 and '61 would get quite a bit of attention.
I think the C4s may be on their way back.
I honestly think that the C4 was not given the credit that it deserved, I watched the original broadcast of the C4 posted by GM, it was great on describing the new and updated body style and wind tunnel. This car is going up in popularity quickly and I am going to do some small performance upgrades and a bit of striping to show the great body lines that it has! It has many possible upgrades depending on the amount of cash that you want to spend. I just like the handling and torque it offers and its a great machine to take out for a long cruise and enjoy the sound of the crossfire V8 and upgraded exhaust I have on it! Cheers
Old 07-24-2014, 05:57 PM
FAUEE
Race Director

Received 4,425 Likes on 2,792 Posts

Originally Posted by Docderek05
what no one has answered yet..is...what will the value of a current C5 be when they are 20-30 years old...from the wear I have seen on them, they will be as "cheap" and as sadly worn out as the current stocks of C4s.
God willing, they will be. You can get into a "cheap" C5 now for a little under $10k, but it's not going to be in nearly as good shape as a $5k C4. That's where the C4's value lies, in that you can get a really overall solid car for $5-7k.

I don't think the C5 will be as cheap as the C4 is now. I don't think that in 2025 you're going to see running C5s with a worn out interior for $3k or less. Simply because that powertrain is robust, reliable and people love to use the LS1/6 speed as a swap for other vehicles sadly born without small block power. That said, the C5 interior really wears out quickly, IMO quicker than the interior on the C4.

I do hope C5 prices fall through the floor. It's a much more capable track machine than the C4, and I'd love to be able to buy a throw away C5 for a track car.

Let's be clear, I'm not saying the C4 was cheap new. It was an awesome car in its day, I remember being a kid and seeing them and they were awesome. When I was a kid, the ZR-1 was the baddest American car out (until the Viper showed up and tried to kill everyone that drove it). When I say the C4 is cheap, I'm saying that today, prices on C4s are incredibly cheap. I don't really think it's going to last either, I think over the next few years you're going to start to see their prices creep back up a little. I think there's going to be a time where a good LT4 car will go for the same as a nearly good C5. A good LT1 will probably go for the same as an average C5.

If I'm being honest, my C4 is more fun to drive than my C6GS.It's nowhere near as fast, but it's a lot of fun.
Old 07-24-2014, 09:19 PM
Red08
Le Mans Master

Received 1,441 Likes on 780 Posts

I am sure that I will get some heated responses, but you brought up the question. First of all, I have always liked vettes, especially the C3. Personally, I have always thought that the C4 was kind of plain-Jane looking. In other words, not a lot of style to it. To me, it appeared too "wedge" shaped, with a flat hood. It just never appealed to me, but neither does the C7.
Old 07-24-2014, 11:47 PM
FOURSPEEDVETTE
Safety Car

Originally Posted by Red08
I am sure that I will get some heated responses, but you brought up the question. First of all, I have always liked vettes, especially the C3. Personally, I have always thought that the C4 was kind of plain-Jane looking. In other words, not a lot of style to it. To me, it appeared too "wedge" shaped, with a flat hood. It just never appealed to me, but neither does the C7.
(heated response) Yes you ARE entitled to your own opinion! As wrong as it is.......... (just kidding)
Old 07-25-2014, 12:14 AM
sahhas
Pro

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

you know, the style/look of a car is subjective....each model/generation hits people in different ways , etc...
on my way home tonight (late) i decided to stop by this car dealership that has 3 vettes that i've seen: they have an 06, 96, 82...
the 06 is way out of my price range at mid 20s...it's cool, but i'm not sure i really love it's looks, maybe it's just too much for me and i dont' consider it...it does look like a cool sports car...
the 82 is listed at $15k...it looks cool and it was fun to drive. there is something about those curvy lines of the body and the long hood...of course it was the car i thought was cool as a kid...so there is nostalgia there...
the 96 is green....as i walked to it, and looked at it compared to the other 2, i honestly thought: this is a cool car. it seemed to be more refined in it's shape, from the back w/ the wider tires (than the 82) it looks cool and mean...of course this car was a fun car to test drive a month ago!!!!!
i don't know, but i think i've come around to how cool the C4s look, honestly. (and it took me a bit over a month to come to this conclusion!)
i notice that as i drive i try to pay attention to how many corvettes i see on the road, a week ago on the interstate there were 4 in a row going somewhere, 3 were newer models and 1 was a C4...and this week i've seen probably 3 C3s out and about, but honestly i have to say, i don't see a lot of C4s out there in my area

Last edited by sahhas; 07-25-2014 at 12:15 AM. Reason: added
Old 07-25-2014, 12:02 PM
N227GB
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16-'17-'18,'19-'20,'23

Originally Posted by sahhas
i don't know, but i think i've come around to how cool the C4s look, honestly. (and it took me a bit over a month to come to this conclusion!)
Welcome to the Dark Side!
Old 07-25-2014, 04:56 PM
mmccarson
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the only complaint I have with my c4 is getting in and out of it. But once I am in I love it. It's like being in a powerful go cart, and I can work on it. Also, I don't have the $600 car note the newer car owners have.
Old 07-27-2014, 03:28 AM
DinoBob
Melting Slicks

Received 361 Likes on 205 Posts

I have determined that C4 owners with nice, clean, tasteful cars are definitely seeing an uptick in terms of the attention the car gets. My car is a clean, bone stock example. I am getting a much different reaction to it this summer than I did last year, especially from the other Corvette guys. The cars with the 3 foot wing, gold emblems, and Fear This stickers, not so much.

Get notified of new replies

To C4 Popularity among enthusiast

Old 07-27-2014, 04:09 AM
Joe C
Race Director

Received 700 Likes on 589 Posts

Originally Posted by ch@0s
I like the C3 but when I compare it to a C4 its just not a complete package. Sure it looks good but that would be like marrying someone for having a nice body then be disappointed because she has a low IQ and cant perform.
I used to have a 69 coupe - it was hot, noisy, terrible gas mileage, not exceptionally fast, and handled for crap. sure was a looker though....

...and I forgot, leaked like a sieve!

Last edited by Joe C; 07-27-2014 at 04:26 AM.
Old 07-27-2014, 05:30 AM
ricasso
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Red08
For me, there is one particular angle of looking at the car that makes it as good, if not better than pretty much anything else out there, just off at an angle to the rear looking down the side, thats where they really show off their lines and curves

Old 07-27-2014, 11:21 AM
triumphmaster
Intermediate

Default Lines

I agree with you about the angle, so I have a white C4 and I am going to do just that, break up the line with a red double pin stripe to go with the red interior. It is going to make it look so much more meaner and a couple of red stripes down the hood lines also. The car is in perfect condition, but I am going to wash it then clay it all. then apply the pin stripes and finish it off with a couple of coats of Mcguirers wax. I find this wax to be great for long lasting and a very deep shine. I have detailed cars for years and everybody loves my eye when it comes to striping the best lines to show of the real curves of the cars that I have done. I never had one complaint, always lots of compliments and cash tips, so I think that I am on the proper aspect of breaking up the best lines without over doing it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: C4 Popularity among enthusiast