Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

I can buy a Ruby Red 93 40th 6sp car for $2k

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2014, 01:00 PM
Geardo
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm leaning to building a badass C4, I'm starting with a 6sp Dana 44 car, with an LT1 with 20k miles on it. I'm still undecided, I have some unfinished project's now, have a 96 Z28, that needs some love, and a 01 SAAB 9-3 vert turbo, that needs an engine rebuild.
Old 07-07-2014, 01:11 PM
SnAkeDr
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Geardo
The car hasn't run in a year, it needs paint, and some interior. Car has 160,000 miles, with a rebuild of the engine 20,000 miles ago. The guy had some problems starting it when hot, changed the opti, now it doesn't run.
Go for it. It might be something simple. $2000.00 is worth the risk. See if you can get it running right mechanically before sinking a penny in cosmetics. If you get it running right, then you'll figure out what direction you want to go in.
Old 07-07-2014, 01:56 PM
12 inches
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do it. Dooooo iiiiit!
Old 07-07-2014, 01:58 PM
mazdaverx7
Le Mans Master

Received 558 Likes on 399 Posts

I'd jump on it. You know its going to need work but that's half the fun. You can rebuild the car and learn a lot in the process. It becomes your car and you will have a large sense of pride in the car when its done. Sure it will cost quite a bit of money to restore the car, but in the end you need to decide if its worth it to you.
Old 07-07-2014, 06:44 PM
skyhawk50
Burning Brakes

Received 94 Likes on 68 Posts

I'd go for it. 2g is chump change for a vehicle like that. I've got more than 2 to play with, but thankfully I've got good hiding places for the overflow.
Old 07-20-2014, 03:57 PM
Geardo
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought it, will get it towed home next week, then I will upload some pictures.
Old 07-20-2014, 04:35 PM
SnAkeDr
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I bought it, will get it towed home next week, then I will upload some pictures.
Keep it as long as you can. Once you get it sorted out, drive it every chance you get weather permitting. That's one of the biggest perks of these C4's. No matter how deep your pocket is, you can have a lot of fun driving it. So if it has high miles, who gives a rat ???, no one is going to give you money anyway....so drive the wheels off of it.

I was thinking about buying a collectors grade Corvette...Why? To worry about putting to many miles on it?
Old 07-20-2014, 10:24 PM
lt4obsesses
Le Mans Master

Received 481 Likes on 261 Posts

Looking forward to the rebuild story to come.

I know alot of folks were saying "run" and that it makes more sense to pay more upfront for a nicer one, and less later on. Often I am one of those, but it really depends on what the buyer wants. For $2K you have bought more than a car. You have bought something that in time you call your own. You have bought something that you put time, hard work, bloody knuckles, and brain power into. You have bought your way into the automotive education of a lifetime.

If you take your time, and do this right, and wisely, in the end you have one of the more satisfying experiences of your life. Yes there will be frustrations along the way, and there will be a good amount of money to spend, but it is an investment. Not of the financial reward type, but of the personal satisfaction type, which, when we are too old and feeble to stand up to pee, is going to be what really matters.
Old 07-20-2014, 11:06 PM
sahhas
Pro

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

congrats! keep us updated on the progress of the car. would love to see pics!!!

it's amazing to me the C4 stories in the last few days, yours for 2K, there is a guy debating buying one for 2700$ (flames and spoiler) and there is one for sale currently in CA for $1700...i mean most of the C3s i see for sale in this range, they don't have an engine, and the interior is usually trashed...it's amazing to see what you can get in a C4 for not a lot of money and then there are the stories of these cars w/ high miles...they guy w/ the one w/ 350K, another said he had 160K, i've seen a bunch w/ over 100K...i mean, how many C3s do you see w/ that kind of mileage??? all reall interesting....good luck!!!
Old 07-21-2014, 10:15 AM
rocco16
Race Director

Received 176 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by 12 inches
I would buy it and park in garage and tinker with it. When you have some extra cash slap a brand new paint job on it and it will be like new.
How many high schoolers believe a coat of paint magically turns an old car into a new car...? At least one, obviously.

I'd get it ONLY if you have room in the garage/shop for it. Please, do NOT get it if it will sit in the drive or beside the house for three years until you A. find time to work on it after your other projects are done/gone, or B. Decide you've looked at it long enough and try to sell it.

Last edited by rocco16; 07-21-2014 at 10:18 AM.
Old 07-21-2014, 12:41 PM
mfi
Le Mans Master

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Just work up a budget of what you wouldn't mind spending on it...add about 40% to that to make it real..then decide...I wouldn't have bought mine if I knew just how much I would have to spend over the years..it came out pretty good though...

Quick Reply: I can buy a Ruby Red 93 40th 6sp car for $2k