Starting (starter?) problem- 94 coupe 83k

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2014, 07:43 PM
auggy
Pro

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Default Starting (starter?) problem- 94 coupe 83k

This car runs good but lately go to start it and on the first try all I get is a click. Then try again and no problem. Kinda like a low battery or corroded or loose battery cable. Have a new battery and the connections are tight and it is doing this on a pretty regular basis. Next step is to check the connection at the starter. Don't want the car to leave me somewhere. Does this sound like something someone out there has dealt with -----maybe a relay or solenoid or starter that is a typical c4 issue. Point me in a direction of the most likely cause. Thanks
Old 06-20-2014, 08:26 PM
captainkawasaki
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like bad starter or starter solenoid to me. Autozone tests them free, at least the one near my house does. Stop by on the way and we'll have a beer!
Old 06-21-2014, 02:02 AM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 342 Likes on 313 Posts

I had a leaky battery eat up the wire inside the positive battery cable. Everything looked OK but the engine would not crank. A jump did not work.
Old 06-21-2014, 07:28 AM
Ozzstar
Pro

Received 256 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by auggy
This car runs good but lately go to start it and on the first try all I get is a click. Then try again and no problem. Kinda like a low battery or corroded or loose battery cable. Have a new battery and the connections are tight and it is doing this on a pretty regular basis. Next step is to check the connection at the starter. Don't want the car to leave me somewhere. Does this sound like something someone out there has dealt with -----maybe a relay or solenoid or starter that is a typical c4 issue. Point me in a direction of the most likely cause. Thanks
What I would do now is begin to make sure that the starter ground connections are clean and tight. Loose/ corroded grounds can cause this type of issue. Do a search on this subject and it may lead you in the right direction.

As mentioned earlier the starter and solenoid need to be tested. They can show signs of weakness before total failure.

Let us know what you find and good luck getting rid of the gremlin.

Ozz

Get notified of new replies

To Starting (starter?) problem- 94 coupe 83k

Quick Reply: Starting (starter?) problem- 94 coupe 83k