C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

dont hate me... started doing widebody for my car

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2014, 07:59 PM
ttt123
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Tommycourt
I have to give you credit young feller. I have done a lot of body work but only with metal and bondo. I even use a hollowed out tree trunk to shape metal with to help form. When it comes to glass, I haven't the faintest idea. A buddy of mine has built many roadsters with glass and they look fantastic! I certainly want to see the pics of yours when you are done!!! My hat's off to you and wish you the best of luck. No guts-no glory!
Tommy
thank you sir, i'm having a blast and chewing my fingernails off at the same time... so is my wife. the pics below had us both grinning as i took a cutter to my first ever vette lol

Originally Posted by ANTI VENOM
The widest? well I'm not sure, but I think a GS 11" wheel with a 315 would look just right on there now. I personally don't care for the stick on fender lips but now that you have incorporated the flare into the body it should look like it belongs. One reason I don't know how much wider you can go is because the original fender is still in there.
these will be glassed in. pics below.

i will search for gs 11 rims and see what i come up with.

Originally Posted by c5vette
How do you know how do something as complicated as this project, yet not no how to hold the camera to get a straight picture?
you guys are killing me .... i dont know why its doing this lolol i'm a programmer and work in metrology. my wife is a programmer... i'm stumped i take the pic.. it looks right, i post it and its rotated 90 i then slam my phone down, kick the dog and pound my head on a tree lol hopefully the pics at the bottom of this post will be right.

Originally Posted by 92ragtop
Are you using the picture icon in the tool bar, and then pasting your Photobucket link there? Use the 'preview' to double check if it's right.
thanks.. im thinking it might just be my phone. i keep using my phone to post these.

ok so i cut the vette... with tears in my eyes. i almost feel like i need to repent lol. anyway it went very well, a lot less scary then i thought it would be and everything came apart perfect.

question, when doing a lap joint do i just put resin between the two pieces or use a piece of glass as well?

question two, i have a full gallon of saphire mettallic blue i am saving for my kit car i'm building... right now the vette is the factory green but metallic. since i'm going to have to repaint the quarters..... time to change up colors or stay with the green? opinions, input, suggestions?
Attached Images     
Old 07-20-2014, 08:52 PM
Tommycourt
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I can tell you this: when adding material, it's best to overlap the 2 materials. Firstly it helps hold the shape and at the same time aids in rigidity. Fill between both materials that you overlap, and you can use screws to attach the materials together and THEN fiberglass over that. My buddy has told me that much and I know that when I weld metal together, I do it like I described. After the material is set up, then it can be shaped and glassed over just as I do with bondo. Don't get discouraged or in a hurry. The whole secret is to shape and work the material slowly. I use an English wheel and my tree stump when I shape metal and it is tedious, so take your time and focus on SHAPING and the sanding will be your final shaping. Body work takes time, unbelievable amount of time HOWEVER the better job you do in your early stages, the better the end product will be. BEST OF LUCK!
Tommy
Old 07-20-2014, 09:07 PM
ttt123
Racer

Originally Posted by Tommycourt
I can tell you this: when adding material, it's best to overlap the 2 materials. Firstly it helps hold the shape and at the same time aids in rigidity. Fill between both materials that you overlap, and you can use screws to attach the materials together and THEN fiberglass over that. My buddy has told me that much and I know that when I weld metal together, I do it like I described. After the material is set up, then it can be shaped and glassed over just as I do with bondo. Don't get discouraged or in a hurry. The whole secret is to shape and work the material slowly. I use an English wheel and my tree stump when I shape metal and it is tedious, so take your time and focus on SHAPING and the sanding will be your final shaping. Body work takes time, unbelievable amount of time HOWEVER the better job you do in your early stages, the better the end product will be. BEST OF LUCK!
Tommy
I'm doing a lap joint. I didn't put the pic in here of the material taking away. The cut out in the pics posted is the inner hole. I then removed an inch wider and half material thick. This probably made no sense lol sorry not sure how to explain this. I will post another pic tomorrow after I get a bit more done.
Old 07-20-2014, 09:09 PM
ANTI VENOM
Melting Slicks

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I didn't realize you were going to cut, I thought earlier you talked about leaving the original material for strength. As for the GS 11" wheels, I'm not sure if you understood what I was talking about so I will clarify just in case. Grand Sport C4 corvettes use an 11" wide wheel in the rear just like the ZR1 does but the offsets are different. The GS wheel has a +50mm offset. Some aftermarket GS wheels I believe are +56. Use this calculator here http://www.corvettecentral.com/wheel-offset/
Old 07-20-2014, 09:20 PM
ttt123
Racer

I didn't realize you were going to cut, I thought earlier you talked about leaving the original material for strength. As for the GS 11" wheels, I'm not sure if you understood what I was talking about so I will clarify just in case. Grand Sport C4 corvettes use an 11" wide wheel in the rear just like the ZR1 does but the offsets are different. The GS wheel has a +50mm offset. Some aftermarket GS wheels I believe are +56. Use this calculator here http://www.corvettecentral.com/wheel-offset/
I wasn't going to originally but I have been talking with kit car builder and after talking about it this just seemed to be the cleaner looking route. The parts I made are just as thick as the vette body panels. So I'm just gonna cross my fingers
Old 07-20-2014, 09:42 PM
lt4obsesses
Le Mans Master

Received 481 Likes on 261 Posts

The look on your face is priceless...the pure intepridation of that "all in" moment captured perfectly.

I'm rooting for you, man!
Old 07-20-2014, 09:47 PM
ttt123
Racer

Originally Posted by lt4obsesses
The look on your face is priceless...the pure intepridation of that "all in" moment captured perfectly.

I'm rooting for you, man!
Lolol brother if you could feel what i was feeling at that moment lol funny thing is my wife had the exact same face(she is a whole lot better looking then me lol) as she was holding the camera lolol this is my first vette at 37 yrs old.... To say i like this car is an understatement lol today was a test of will
Old 07-21-2014, 12:52 PM
ANTI VENOM
Melting Slicks

I would love a big fat azz tire in the rear, especially if it didn't require anything that the average person would notice. I'm rooting for you as well. It's guys like you that help pussies like me do cool things. I would most certainly buy you lunch just to know how it felt to cut into the fender. Keep going bud, we have high hopes.
Old 07-21-2014, 01:17 PM
PLRX
Team Owner

Received 501 Likes on 342 Posts
Co-winner 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified
2018 Corvette of Year Finalist
2017 C4 of Year
2016 C7 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20

Old 07-21-2014, 01:28 PM
ANTI VENOM
Melting Slicks

I think this is the same thing you are trying to accomplish.

Are those wide enough?
Old 07-21-2014, 01:52 PM
Carbd84
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Are those wide enough?
That looks like a damaged transformer. However I am all for wide body vettes... I just hope it doesn't end up looking like that one. Keep us posted!
Old 07-21-2014, 03:18 PM
ttt123
Racer

Originally Posted by PLRX
Ouch... Rough replies guys... That hurts lolol. I will do my best not to embarress the community. I will try to keep it as tasteful as my talent will allow me.

Are those wide enough?
Boy i hope thats not what it ends up looking like... The wing is just a hair to tall lolol

Originally Posted by Carbd84
That looks like a damaged transformer. However I am all for wide body vettes... I just hope it doesn't end up looking like that one. Keep us posted!
Keep an eye on cuz it will look good. If it doesnt i will buy new quarter panels and go back to lame stock look lol

Im still a little hung up on the rim size. Anyone have some fatter tire pics they care to share? If so please share the offset and width so i can find them to buy if there sharp
Old 07-21-2014, 05:09 PM
bogus
Team Owner

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

I am liking what I see... except for that black POS.
Old 07-21-2014, 05:53 PM
MavsAK
Melting Slicks

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

man I think I'd be crying if I took a cutter to my vette.
Brave man.
Old 07-21-2014, 08:13 PM
ttt123
Racer

OK so sanded out half material from both part and body, used resin and glass between and then screwed the part down to suck it tight till resin oozed out the cracks.

please ignore the waves or pumps for now.. those were the least of my worries and will get fixed when i start shaping it.

looks like it ended up being a 1 1/2 inch gain in width. now i just need to see what rims i can get

notice those near perfect toes... best toes I've ever seen in sandals next to a corvette
Attached Images       
Old 07-21-2014, 08:19 PM
ttt123
Racer

couple more pics.
Attached Images    
Old 07-21-2014, 09:20 PM
MavsAK
Melting Slicks

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by ttt123
couple more pics.
That is a beautiful flare

Get notified of new replies

To dont hate me... started doing widebody for my car

Old 07-22-2014, 06:51 AM
ttt123
Racer

Thanks
Old 07-22-2014, 11:37 AM
ttt123
Racer

Anyone have any experience using wheel spacers? Are there any issues with balance or wear on tires etc?

Thanks
Old 07-22-2014, 12:16 PM
ANTI VENOM
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by ttt123
Anyone have any experience using wheel spacers? Are there any issues with balance or wear on tires etc?

Thanks
I don't have experience with wheel spacers but here is my question.
Why go through all the trouble to widen your car to put on spacers?
You want big fat fricken meats on that thing. 375's? Don't get lazy now dude. You did all the work, now it payoff time.
Do you have a particular rim in mind?

Quick Reply: dont hate me... started doing widebody for my car