C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Rear hatch weatherstripping

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2014, 10:54 PM
Ozzstar
Pro

Received 256 Likes on 75 Posts

Default Rear hatch weatherstripping

'93 Vette base. I have been searching the forum doing research for a new rear glass hatch weathstripping that is of HIGH quality. I don't want junk. I read how some installed new weatherstrip and still had gap issues.

The name of a known quality brand weatherstrip and/or a good source to buy it would be much appreciated!

Thanks in advance for the info. - Ozz
Old 06-16-2014, 11:13 PM
leego
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Even though the OEM are expensive, they fit the best...

Originally Posted by Ozzstar
'93 Vette base. I have been searching the forum doing research for a new rear glass hatch weathstripping that is of HIGH quality. I don't want junk. I read how some installed new weatherstrip and still had gap issues.

The name of a known quality brand weatherstrip and/or a good source to buy it would be much appreciated!

Old 06-16-2014, 11:36 PM
Paul Workman
Le Mans Master

Received 500 Likes on 395 Posts

The issue is getting quality rubber that is close to the original texture as practical. For that I found Corvette Rubber has quality stuff of the correct texture of OEM, fair pricing.

That said, I and several others have been frustrated at times to contact them - experiencing trouble getting responses by email or phone. So, why even bring them up as a source? Well, in spite of their business practices, the product is exceptionally good, IMO. I don't like having to run them down either. But, I'll put up with having to be persistent because the quality is superb and price is good.

Good luck!

Last edited by Paul Workman; 06-16-2014 at 11:38 PM.
Old 06-17-2014, 07:31 AM
davewhtt
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I went with Willcox on my 93. The best advise i was given was take your time on the prep! Clean and clean again. No leaks air or water and it looks good. Dave
Old 06-17-2014, 08:07 AM
Ozzstar
Pro

Originally Posted by davewhtt
I went with Willcox on my 93. The best advise i was given was take your time on the prep! Clean and clean again. No leaks air or water and it looks good. Dave
Good advice to know Dave. Did you use sealant at all? I understand it can be installed dry but some adhesive in the corners will keep the strip from slipping

Last edited by Ozzstar; 06-17-2014 at 08:17 AM.
Old 06-17-2014, 08:14 AM
Ozzstar
Pro

Originally Posted by Paul Workman
The issue is getting quality rubber that is close to the original texture as practical. For that I found Corvette Rubber has quality stuff of the correct texture of OEM, fair pricing.

That said, I and several others have been frustrated at times to contact them - experiencing trouble getting responses by email or phone. So, why even bring them up as a source? Well, in spite of their business practices, the product is exceptionally good, IMO. I don't like having to run them down either. But, I'll put up with having to be persistent because the quality is superb and price is good.

Good luck!
Thanks Paul. I see on there website Corvette Rubber wants $138+ shipping. It's amazing to me what a piece of rubber can cost!!

Anyone else purchased and installed a QUALITY hatch weatherstrip?
Old 06-18-2014, 08:24 AM
davewhtt
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Good advice to know Dave. Did you use sealant at all? I understand it can be installed dry but some adhesive in the corners will keep the strip from slipping
I used a little adhesive in the corners. The PO used it all over and thats what took the most time.Cleaning it out!
Old 06-18-2014, 08:52 AM
Paul Workman
Le Mans Master

Yep, I suppose that might work; glue the corners only. But, in my case my rubber was split at the corners when I bought the car. So, I went with the 3M weather strip adhesive (contact cement); applied to both surfaces first. I was able to close the corners, which prevented me from having to buy new hatch rubber after all.

Depending on temp/humidity, the 3M stuff dries so fast that it was actually too dry by the time I got it applied to both joining surfaces.

Note: The adhesive is suppose to be a just a little tacky, i.e., almost dry but not quite. But, applied in direct sunlight to the black rubber on a very low humidity day it apparently caused it to be past the ideal condition for proper adhesion.

But, a tip from the auto body supply store was to apply a second coat to one of the sides being joined - worked like a champ. (Works on other situations where contact adhesives are used such as things like the CORVETTE emblem too...Just an FYI from recent experience!)
Old 06-18-2014, 01:14 PM
Sassman
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

My Wilcox weatherstripping is holding up well. Helpful hint: leave the weatherstrip in the sun before application. Heating it up allows greater flexibility and allows it to seat in the corners.
Old 06-18-2014, 05:43 PM
JackDidley
Race Director

Received 232 Likes on 164 Posts

Its not supposed to have adhesive. GM put lube under it. It is intended to float.
Old 06-19-2014, 12:43 AM
Ozzstar
Pro

Originally Posted by Paul Workman
Yep, I suppose that might work; glue the corners only. But, in my case my rubber was split at the corners when I bought the car. So, I went with the 3M weather strip adhesive (contact cement); applied to both surfaces first. I was able to close the corners, which prevented me from having to buy new hatch rubber after all.

Depending on temp/humidity, the 3M stuff dries so fast that it was actually too dry by the time I got it applied to both joining surfaces.

Note: The adhesive is suppose to be a just a little tacky, i.e., almost dry but not quite. But, applied in direct sunlight to the black rubber on a very low humidity day it apparently caused it to be past the ideal condition for proper adhesion.

But, a tip from the auto body supply store was to apply a second coat to one of the sides being joined - worked like a champ. (Works on other situations where contact adhesives are used such as things like the CORVETTE emblem too...Just an FYI from recent experience!)
Good info, thanks for sharing
Old 06-19-2014, 09:29 AM
Bobby Brewsky
Instructor
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by JackDidley
Its not supposed to have adhesive. GM put lube under it. It is intended to float.
Interesting...I just replaced mine and I couldn't figure out where all the lube came from. I thought it was something the PO did. It resembled white lithium and there was a LOT of it.
Old 06-19-2014, 12:21 PM
karlranks
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Hatch weatherstripping

Google "Installing weather strip on corvette" and all kinds of Instruction and places `will pop up. Check out the links most have pictures and instructions,prices for kits. I saw a really good video on Youtube, I thought i saved it but it wasn't there.

Good Luck!!.
Old 06-20-2014, 09:15 AM
Paul Workman
Le Mans Master

Ah! This is exactly how I did mine (
). And, it worked just like the demo: Spread a thin coat on both surfaces, let it just dry before adding a second bead over the (the weatherstrip) bead and immediately apply the rubber seal to the (car).

As for just why GM used that viscus crap adhesive on the original (hatch) weather seal is beyond me!

The portion of the hatch seal going over the halo IS adhered securely, but the horizontal half is where there is some viscus gooy crap that doesn't (or isn't now after some decades) securing the rubber to any significant degree.

Who knows for sure why that stuff was used instead of a proper adhesive. But, because it is was/has become viscus (now at least) it doesn't secure the bottom half of the seal that is slightly stretched around the arch of the hatch. Could the bottom half, constantly pulling on the hatch corners (that are secured firmly) be why so many (most?) rubber splits at the corners??? I have to wonder.

In any case, my rubber was lively, except for separating at the corners. Buy removing all the old adhesive, including that gooy crap on the bottom half of the seal, by using the 3M Weatherstrip Adhesive (shown in the YouTube video) and securing the seal as shown, I was able to close the split at the corners and the rubber has NOT retracted (yet, anyway).

Just sayin....
Old 06-22-2014, 01:18 AM
Ozzstar
Pro

Originally Posted by karlranks
Google "Installing weather strip on corvette" and all kinds of Instruction and places `will pop up. Check out the links most have pictures and instructions,prices for kits. I saw a really good video on Youtube, I thought i saved it but it wasn't there.

Good Luck!!.
thanks
Old 06-27-2014, 06:58 PM
Ozzstar
Pro

Purchased the rear hatch weatherstrip from Wilcox. Installed it today and satisfied with the results. The yellow goo that GM put on the welt track is messy. I tried to keep as much of it as possible. Amazing after 21 years that it is still tacky and not dried out. I think its some sort of lithium grease. It allowed me to 'slide' the strip into position so it fit properly in the corners. I applied silicone to the corners before shutting the hatch glass. After a week or so I will open the hatch, pull out just the corners of the weatherstrip and put a little bit of adhesive under the corners.

Thanks to all who contributed to this thread, I appreciate it!

Ozz

Get notified of new replies

To Rear hatch weatherstripping

Quick Reply: Rear hatch weatherstripping