Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2014, 11:02 PM
BB 2005
Pro
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Donor '11, '13
Default Cost to paint front and rear bumpers

How much should it cost to get the front and rear bumpers repainted? The clear oat has worn off. It is the top surface of the front bumper and on the back it is on both sides of the gas door.
Old 06-08-2014, 11:39 PM
Karsten
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I just had the front done on my 1993 by some guys insurance....Very minor dinge buy a hit and run caught on camera. To remove, repair, spray the bumper was $863.00. I am guessing the rear bumper is going to be a little more labor intensive to remove and cost a little more.

Karsten
Old 06-09-2014, 06:53 AM
Paul Workman
Le Mans Master

Received 500 Likes on 395 Posts

You might be able to save considerable $$ if you remove and prep the bumpers yourself, and then reinstall them. They will want to have the rest of the car there, as they will want to blend into the adjacent fenders, etc.

Painting...takes a lot of prep and post work to do it right. And, depending on the color (e.g., RED is one of the more expensive paints), the materials can vary significantly. SO! Having just completed a painting project, my suggestion is to get references, and shop the project around and see if/what kind of break you can get, should you opt to do as much of the labor you can do yourself. (The front bumper is pretty straight forward to remove. The rear will require the license plate frame and backup lights to be removed - which is easy - so you can then reach in and remove the tail light reflectors. Once that is done, you can access the 7mm screws along the top edge, and the 10mm nuts along the fender portions. WARNING: Just be sure to mask your light fixtures to keep paint from getting on the plastic lenses...ask me how I know)

(Hint: Be careful not to shake the front bumper shims loose before you have a chance to wrap the front bumper shims with masking tape and mark them 'left n right'. Mix them up and you'll add hours to reinstalling the front bumper.)

Good luck!
Old 06-09-2014, 09:41 AM
Sleazy Rider
Le Mans Master

Received 491 Likes on 373 Posts

One quart of metallic red was $200, which should do front and rear bumpers. Then add primer, catalyst, clear, hardener, driers, etc and the tab goes up to $700 just for materials. We just shot color and clear on the hood this past weekend.
Old 06-10-2014, 09:41 PM
Old Ben
Team Owner

Received 128 Likes on 98 Posts
2017 C6 of Year Finalist

Got a $2100 quote to remove, prep, paint and reinstall both bumpers. Looking at having it done late summer.
Old 06-11-2014, 08:59 AM
89 Vett
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

In Louisville, Ky: My front bumper was repainted on the car $500ish. Rear is similar for the paint, but it needs to be removed so $750ish
Old 06-11-2014, 09:45 AM
canuck buick
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Had a 76 did for a $1000 for both
Old 06-11-2014, 10:05 AM
84wuzmy1st
Burning Brakes

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

If it were me I would remove your tail lights, license plate and lights, and gas door yourself and let them mask off and paint the bumpers on the car. That should keep the cost of the repaint at 1K or less... that is unless your car is a show car and must be perfect, if so you need to do a full repaint the right way, spend 7K-10K, and then trailer it to shows so it doesn't get any rock chips or other defects.

Get notified of new replies

To Cost to paint front and rear bumpers

Quick Reply: Cost to paint front and rear bumpers