Door locks keep unlocking

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2014, 08:28 PM
twentyeggs
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Door locks keep unlocking

1994 corvette

So I got the key fob back up and running. It does everything it is supposed to, unlock when I walk up, locks with I walk away. But If i walk up to the car while the passive system is activated the doors will unlock, and then unlock again over and over again. Time interval is not rapid but it is not consistent typically the door will unlock 1-3 times a min. Once I start the car the problem stops or once I walk away and the car locks itself it doesn't do anything either.

I have had problems like this in the past with other cars and it was due to a bad actuator, but it doesn't do this when I wasn't using the passive keyless entry. A bad actuator will spas out endlessly.

What do you think it is?

Last edited by twentyeggs; 06-07-2014 at 08:31 PM.
Old 06-08-2014, 10:06 AM
markKlein
Melting Slicks

Received 105 Likes on 90 Posts

If you (actually the fob) stands still next to the car it will lock up again. Take a step or two and it will unlock. Stand still it will lock again. If the fob isn't moving it doesn't transmit and the car "thinks" you have walked away. It sounds like everything else is working OK, so that is my guess.
Old 06-09-2014, 01:26 AM
lt4obsesses
Le Mans Master

Received 481 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by markKlein
If you (actually the fob) stands still next to the car it will lock up again. Take a step or two and it will unlock. Stand still it will lock again. If the fob isn't moving it doesn't transmit and the car "thinks" you have walked away. It sounds like everything else is working OK, so that is my guess.
Yep, this is part of the normal operation. The fob and the PKE go into "sleep" mode. If you are near the car and move the fob it wakes up and transmits to the PKE. I actually ran my battery down when I first got my car doing a 2.5 hr detail. Then I learned to disable PKE when working around the car.
Old 06-09-2014, 02:33 AM
twentyeggs
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lt4obsesses
Yep, this is part of the normal operation. The fob and the PKE go into "sleep" mode. If you are near the car and move the fob it wakes up and transmits to the PKE. I actually ran my battery down when I first got my car doing a 2.5 hr detail. Then I learned to disable PKE when working around the car.
woah, very interesting... well i guess that solves that.
Old 06-09-2014, 11:08 AM
bac22
Le Mans Master

Received 186 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by twentyeggs
woah, very interesting... well i guess that solves that.
And if you ever lock your keys in the car, just rock the car to wakeup the FOB!

Get notified of new replies

To Door locks keep unlocking

Quick Reply: Door locks keep unlocking