Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Why own a car capable of 160mph + ?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2014, 12:01 PM
Yetiman
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like to know when I need to pass I can without needing a 1/4 mile stretch to do it.
Old 06-08-2014, 01:53 PM
whalepirot
Melting Slicks

Received 119 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by gerardvg
Has anyone ever noticed the ones with very fast cars have no need to prove it on public roads?
Yes; an inverse relationship indeed. There is some perception that Corvette drivers (except new model owners) are jerks so I consciously try to be courteous above and beyond while driving my Corvette. I love it when 'kids' with fart cans on the butt of their Rice Rockets eye me with a conquering leer, then refuse eye contact when my exhaust note rolls up at a light. I've never had anything to prove in 6 Corvette ownerships.

I like Leno's comments and ID with him as a "car guy".

Having done track days and autocrosses, I agree that a controlled environment is the ONLY place to play at or near the limits. It's also where I learned real respect for true racers, like many of you... (see Jay's attribution)

That said, I enjoy the hell outta my C4, enjoying what it HAS and is capable of doing. I've not found the limits, except for the standard brakes, on a racetrack. I'm also "waxer". Have I nailed it and rowed the gears? Hell yes, and will again in a few hours! It is always, totally legal? 5th pled. I keep it under the orange line of reasonable, as a healthy, red-blooded MALE and a longtime Corvette enthusiast.

I also enjoy the BMWs, the FourTwo Cabrio, the R1100RS and the Nash, for different reasons, the common factor being driving.

Part of high performance or 'excess' power (love the comment, if UR asking the question, you'll NOT understand the answer) is control. This is also true in audio amplifiers. Whether that mastery of total energy can gets me out of harm's way or stopping short of it, I want it. Like Nukes (or guns) having one doesn't mean I always want to use or abuse it. I have the luxury and maturity to balance the fun with the rest.

I've enjoyed this thread more than most others... thanks.
Old 06-08-2014, 07:05 PM
GKK
Safety Car

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by C4in mesa
why own a car like a Corvette if you never step on the gas and let it roar?
Also, be aware that as you age your reaction times and brain work a lot slower than when you were younger...

I've realized this since, I've seen this happen to my father in law who in his 70's, has begun to drive a lot slower and more cautiously compared to years ago when he used to drag race!...

A lot of these old school drivers still want a Cool Vette to drive, even though they don't have the physical reaction times and skill as they once did...

So, next time you roll up to a slower, older Vette driver remember, he probably was just like you back in the day!...

Last edited by GKK; 06-08-2014 at 07:12 PM.
Old 06-08-2014, 09:11 PM
JrRifleCoach
Team Owner

Location: Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction.
Received 640 Likes on 444 Posts
St. Jude '03-'04-'05-'06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-‘19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by GKK
Also, be aware that as you age your reaction times and brain work a lot slower than when you were younger....
Oh there. Fine. Now your sounding like the wife!
Old 06-09-2014, 12:44 PM
hcbph
Safety Car

Received 526 Likes on 476 Posts

Default Other reasons

Originally Posted by JrRifleCoach
Oh there. Fine. Now your sounding like the wife!
There can be other reasons too. I don't wish it on my worst enemy but having been broadsided by a joyriding teenager over 15 years ago, spent months in physical rehab to get back on my feet and still feel the effects of his stupidity to this day. I didn't stop living because of what he did but I still feel the pain and effects of it every day since. One moments inattention on his part had an effect on me and wife's lives to this day. It limits what we can do and appreciate, it's not worth the pain and grief it can cause.
Take it to the track or suitable area where if you injure someone, it's only yourself. You can drive there to the limits of your car and ability without hurting others. Like all kids, when I was young I did it too without regards to the consequences. I was lucky and didn't hurt anyone but could have given a few changes in circumstances, I quit back in the 70's myself but this kid did it to us in the late 90's.

Sorry to sound like a preacher, but doing it on the streets and highways can have a very negative effect on someone's life, and it won't necesarily be yours. Would you feel that same if it was your parents or a brother or sister was injured or worse because of someones racing, joyriding or speeding on the streets or highway?

Last edited by hcbph; 06-09-2014 at 12:50 PM.
Old 06-09-2014, 01:33 PM
MardiGrasMan
Le Mans Master

I rarely drive over the speed limit & when I do it's to keep from getting run over by the traffic. I like the quick acceleration on the on ramps. Also, when I need to pass another car, I can.
Old 06-11-2014, 11:04 PM
LANDSHARK1
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have an elderly father with alzheimer's and dementia who shakes his head and scoffs whenever he hears me say that such and such car goes 160 or 180. My take on this is that just because a car goes 160 doesn't necessarily mean that you will drive it at that speed (although when I was younger, I used to be kinda nuts...LOL)...on the contrary, the majority of owners baby their cars with only occasional fun bursts of speed. However, I think the key to it is that a car that can go 160 or 180 can hit 80 effortlessly...kind of like a regular car going 30. That in itself is the luxury of speed. Then again, it is fun to raise hell too

BTW, I totally agree with 1Asterisk...when one is young, you think you can live through anything...I've been there, we've all been there. The crap I pulled! Man, I wouldn't trade it for the world. But that was then...this is now. Not that I'm old, but now that I'm older, I am way more aware of what can go wrong...horribly wrong...a nail you picked up on the way, right before your high speed run...road debris...a stalled out car with an electrical problem and no hazard lights...a TV set in the middle of the freeway left by a prankster...all kinds of fun stuff that you might not be aware of until it is too late that makes the critical difference between bragging about it and ending up on a cold slab.

I'm not preaching to say don't do it, I'm just saying be aware of the risks and enjoy to the fullest of your comfort zone...LOL
Old 06-12-2014, 12:05 PM
wydopnthrtl
Drifting

Received 290 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by 1963SS
Of course you do. You live in Florida for God's sake. Everyone in that accursed state drives just like you.
Just one clarification to that statement.... There are a few multigenerational Fla natives who don't want to be lumped into that statement.
It's all the northern-ers who move to "God's waiting room" that causes the big slow. When I was a kid hwy19 up around new port richey was about like watching a nascar race.
In Z-hills they never get going fast enough to cause any real damage. But lots of fender benders around those parts.
Old 06-12-2014, 02:50 PM
HGUNHNTR
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My 94 rarely gets over 50 mph since I mainly putter around town in it. I get it out on the freeway about once every 4 months and always do the posted limit. I honestly wouldn't care if the car could go 250 mph, I just don't care to drive it that hard or take those kinds of risks. I get an adrenaline rush just by turning the key.
Old 06-12-2014, 04:14 PM
JD Shredds
Burning Brakes

Received 47 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul Workman
I believe there are two basic groups of performance car drivers: Those that thrill at actually experiencing the car's performance, and those that thrill from simply owning a car with the capability...of speeds greater than 13 sec 1/4 miles or 160 mph. I group them as either WARRIORS or WAXERS.

Both groups appreciate the potential of the car's performance - just in different ways. Take the same car and limit HP and top end to that of the average mini-van, and I expect that neither group would buy (a Corvette or whatever). Warriors certainly wouldn't be interested due to actual performance. Waxers wouldn't because the mystique the potential of performance brings - wouldn't be there.
I like this analogy. The way you describe it hits the nail on the head. And I think it brings up this point: some people are thrill seekers, others are not and find joy in more subtle forms of stimulation - both of which a Corvette offers. But obviously even the most modest Corvette owner wouldn't buy the car if it was the same as a mini-van or family sedan. For some people, just knowing you can "unleash" is enough stimulation without doing it all that frequently (but just often enough to remind yourself the power you control). For others, they need that visceral rush to justify the ownership.

That's the beauty of the Corvette. It isn't just a fast car. Like Paul stated, there's a "mystique" about the Corvette that is equally as desirable as the raw performance capacity.
Old 06-13-2014, 03:11 AM
2HIP4U
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Might I advise:

Check your tires for dry rot or cracks. Good tread depth. Proper air pressure. High speed balance. Check torque on wheel lugs.

Check your tie rod ends and ball joints for any looseness.

Make sure your shocks are in good shape.

Check all bushings -- fore and aft, for rot or cracks.

Check all trailing links and anti-sway bars for looseness.

Have a four wheel alignment done.

Grease to taste.

Old 06-13-2014, 09:31 PM
ghoastrider1
Le Mans Master

Received 265 Likes on 240 Posts

I aint saying my car is fast, BUT, when I close the door, I can be doing 70 before the light goes out. Dang I like telling tall tails.
Old 06-13-2014, 11:04 PM
Deakins
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Eh, I go fast enough in the air I don't really care about how fast my car can go. I don't really enjoy HAVING to work on the car, more like when I want to work on it...so I keep it slow these days.
Old 06-13-2014, 11:36 PM
Elrick
Drifting

why not?
Old 06-14-2014, 07:31 AM
corvette Stu
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

So you can do 160 MPH
Old 06-14-2014, 08:24 AM
ps374
Melting Slicks

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

I am sure everyone has broken the speed laws in their Corvette. But I have never had my C4 over 85 MPH and that was on the expressway. However if you think owning a Corvette is just about going fast you could do that with a lot cheaper cars which dont require some much care. But you can get just as much of a thrill as going 140 (If that thrills you) by taking a fast turn. For Petes sake it a sports car. That is what is was built to do. And if you really want to show your driving skills off or think going fast makes you Macho enter a SCCA auto cross event. That will show you and others just how skillful of a driver you really are and how good your Corvette really is..It will also keep you out of jail.
Old 06-14-2014, 09:02 AM
C4in mesa
Drifting

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by red rock
So you can do 160 MPH
That's why I own my Corvette.

Get notified of new replies

To Why own a car capable of 160mph + ?

Old 06-14-2014, 10:42 AM
bar20
Advanced

Originally Posted by ps374
I am sure everyone has broken the speed laws in their Corvette. But I have never had my C4 over 85 MPH and that was on the expressway. However if you think owning a Corvette is just about going fast you could do that with a lot cheaper cars which dont require some much care. But you can get just as much of a thrill as going 140 (If that thrills you) by taking a fast turn. For Petes sake it a sports car. That is what is was built to do. And if you really want to show your driving skills off or think going fast makes you Macho enter a SCCA auto cross event. That will show you and others just how skillful of a driver you really are and how good your Corvette really is..It will also keep you out of jail.
Exactly! I am sorry but anyone can get in their Corvette and take it to it's maximum speed limit on a public road. What does that prove? Just knowing my car will do 140, 150, 160 mph is all that matters. Fortunately Chevrolet is now spending the money on it's handling and less on it's 1/4 mile speed. After all it's a sports car. Do you think Ferrari, Porsche, Aston Martin care about 1/4 mile times? I think not and those cars are what the Corvette is being compared with! Learn to drive your cars in the twisties Go do a track day at a road course, do an auto cross and better yet go to a drivers school.
Old 06-14-2014, 11:25 AM
Annoyed
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by C4in mesa
This thread is more aimed at guys who are members of A.C.E. which is Arizona Corvette Enthusiasts. At least that is where I got the idea from and brought it here for a national forum. I posted a thread on there asking if there was anywhere in the state of AZ where I could max out my car and see what its top speed is ? I mentioned that I had recently taken a chance on a slightly traveled freeway and hit 140mph. It was obvious I need several miles to reach the cars max and a public road isn't the place to do it. Criminal speed being the number one reason. But it raised a point from all the BS I was reading. 2 guys from the same club made it to a club meeting last winter in 2 modified C6's. They were coming from Payson to south Scottsdale. About 70 miles total with a couple lights but lots of twisting road and the ocassional straight stretches ! I believe the posted speed limit is 65mph. These 2 guys were bragging they made it to the meeting in 35 minutes. I asked how the heck did you do that ? One guy pointed at the radar jamming equipment in his dash. i said If the DPS gets a visual of you doing 140mph you are done for. Anyway if you get caught that is your neck and you pay the ticket. At least those guys who own POWERFUL cars get on it from time to time and enjoy all that money they spent. I don't see the point of owning and driving a car capable of doing a quarter mile in under 13 seconds and a top speed of over 160mph if you never break the speed limit. Go buy a Toyota Camry or a SUV. Is it so you can look cool ? I have a big package look at me ? I get the whole be a responsible citizen crap. Of course but why own a car like a Corvette if you never step on the gas and let it roar. I would like to hear some feed back on this. Personally I like to step on the gas sometimes and fish tail at a light turning green. It is such a blast.
I like owning powerful sexy low-slung cars because I'm very much "into" cars, love opening them up, love speed, love going sideways and tearing the streets up (in a safe manner, of course).

I too HATE posers who spend a fortune on their cars and don't have the ***** to step on it or take a corner sideways and just don't know how to drive. I have many ex-mates just like that and have witnessed many cringe-worthy driving-related incidents. Spoiled mama's boys with no *****, trying to be cool and impress strangers and chicks with a car they hardly know yet own and gave to a mechanic (along with $30,000+) to make it go hard.
Same deal with motorbike riders/owners. Half of them are sissies who try to act like badboys and alphas, buy the big and fast 1000cc sport bikes, make fun of those with small bikes (like myself), only to sit on the speed limit 99.99999% of the time and stop behind cars at every set of lights. Like what's the point of owning that 2-wheeled rocket if you ride it as fast as a bicycle goes?
Then there's me on my little 250cc two stroke, full throttle half the time, blowing past them and everyone else.
I just remembered this fat t*rd at a Honda dealership basically made fun of me for buying a little Honda 110cc bike (Jeez, sorry we all don't have $15,000 to spend on a little sports bike, ignorant fat boy). If I could go back, I would've challenged him to a 5-10 mile street race right then and there with any bike he wanted vs me on my little 110cc I had just bought.
I would've munched him.

I'll just add that I have no problem with you older gents who don't drive your C4's hard and just really love your cars.
My problem is with the young posers.

Last edited by Annoyed; 06-14-2014 at 11:35 AM.
Old 06-16-2014, 10:24 PM
HGUNHNTR
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by Annoyed
I like owning powerful sexy low-slung cars because I'm very much "into" cars, love opening them up, love speed, love going sideways and tearing the streets up (in a safe manner, of course).

I too HATE posers who spend a fortune on their cars and don't have the ***** to step on it or take a corner sideways and just don't know how to drive. I have many ex-mates just like that and have witnessed many cringe-worthy driving-related incidents. Spoiled mama's boys with no *****, trying to be cool and impress strangers and chicks with a car they hardly know yet own and gave to a mechanic (along with $30,000+) to make it go hard.
Same deal with motorbike riders/owners. Half of them are sissies who try to act like badboys and alphas, buy the big and fast 1000cc sport bikes, make fun of those with small bikes (like myself), only to sit on the speed limit 99.99999% of the time and stop behind cars at every set of lights. Like what's the point of owning that 2-wheeled rocket if you ride it as fast as a bicycle goes?
Then there's me on my little 250cc two stroke, full throttle half the time, blowing past them and everyone else.
I just remembered this fat t*rd at a Honda dealership basically made fun of me for buying a little Honda 110cc bike (Jeez, sorry we all don't have $15,000 to spend on a little sports bike, ignorant fat boy). If I could go back, I would've challenged him to a 5-10 mile street race right then and there with any bike he wanted vs me on my little 110cc I had just bought.
I would've munched him.

I'll just add that I have no problem with you older gents who don't drive your C4's hard and just really love your cars.
My problem is with the young posers.
Sounds like you need a coke and a smile.

Quick Reply: Why own a car capable of 160mph + ?