C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Cooling fans are not working right. 91 vert

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2014, 08:37 PM
Joycey989
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cooling fans are not working right. 91 vert

So i replaced the radiator and now the cooling fans are not working. If i short the A and B things on the obd1 connecter and turn car to on then they work but if i start the car and hit a/c nothing comes on.

also if i let it heat up all the way the fan doesn't come on. so that would meant the relay is bad right? But why would they work when I ground A to B on the a ldl.

Edit: My a/c doesn't work because i did depressurize the ac system on accident. (Dont know how to fix that) But would that effect both fans?

Last edited by Joycey989; 06-02-2014 at 02:58 AM.
Old 06-02-2014, 12:27 AM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 342 Likes on 313 Posts

It sounds like you damaged the AC condenser and the freon escaped (I did that when cleaning the trash out of the space between the condenser and the radiator). I don't know if they changed the system in 1990 and later cars, but on my car there is a pressure switch in the AC lines that tells the ECM that the AC is on. Then the ECM turns on the cooling fan. Does your AC work?

The ECM runs the fan, which is why it comes on when you short ALDL pins A & B together. That means that the fan, relay and wiring are all good.

What is suspect is the connection from the CTS (Coolant Temperature Sensor) to the ECM. That CTS is the one on the front of the intake manifold under the throttle body. The analog coolant gauge uses a different sensor, so if it works that doesn't mean the ECM CTS is working.
Old 06-02-2014, 02:54 AM
Joycey989
Advanced

Originally Posted by Cliff Harris
It sounds like you damaged the AC condenser and the freon escaped (I did that when cleaning the trash out of the space between the condenser and the radiator). I don't know if they changed the system in 1990 and later cars, but on my car there is a pressure switch in the AC lines that tells the ECM that the AC is on. Then the ECM turns on the cooling fan. Does your AC work?

The ECM runs the fan, which is why it comes on when you short ALDL pins A & B together. That means that the fan, relay and wiring are all good.

What is suspect is the connection from the CTS (Coolant Temperature Sensor) to the ECM. That CTS is the one on the front of the intake manifold under the throttle body. The analog coolant gauge uses a different sensor, so if it works that doesn't mean the ECM CTS is working.
I did discharge my ac while replacing the radiator. The top line going into the shroud to the radiator core is where I disconnected it. and the stuff leaked out. So how do i fix it? Im a noob at working on cars so doing as much as i did is a new experience for me.

And would that effect the main fan too? Because i ran the car till it was past the point where the fans should come on and neither of them did.
Old 06-02-2014, 07:29 AM
65Z01
Team Owner

Received 300 Likes on 274 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Another fan/ECM test is to open the small connector in the A/C pressure line and start the engine. Then at least one fan should come on.
Old 06-06-2014, 08:35 PM
Guapo's 94
Instructor

Double check that all the fuses are ok. There's one small one inside the fuse box, and two maxi-fuses under the hood. You never know...
Old 06-06-2014, 08:59 PM
Guapo's 94
Instructor

This is straight from the factory service manual (for a 94):
Attached Images  
Old 06-06-2014, 09:01 PM
Guapo's 94
Instructor

Aux fan
Attached Images  
Old 06-09-2014, 01:19 PM
Joycey989
Advanced

It's all fixed. When I depressurization my ac system the compressor wouldn't kick on to build enough pressure up to trip the fan switches. So I had the ac system converted over so I can recharge it myself now. The fans kick on. The new Dewitt's radiator makes my car run significantly cooler. All is wonder. The car runs way better then before.
Old 06-10-2014, 09:55 AM
Niceun
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Joycey989
It's all fixed. When I depressurization my ac system the compressor wouldn't kick on to build enough pressure up to trip the fan switches. So I had the ac system converted over so I can recharge it myself now. The fans kick on. The new Dewitt's radiator makes my car run significantly cooler. All is wonder. The car runs way better then before.
Glad you got it figured out, That is also good to know for the rest of us guys who might be experiencing the same type of problems.

Get notified of new replies

To Cooling fans are not working right. 91 vert

Quick Reply: Cooling fans are not working right. 91 vert