C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Should i replace my plugs? New owner

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2014, 08:33 PM
BlueMyMindC4
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Should i replace my plugs? New owner

Just picked up my first vette, an 89 auto targa 97k miles. Seems to run ok not great not terrible. Just pulled one plug quick to see how old or bad they might be and they seem ok to me but im no mechanic. I could use some advice on whether or not i should bother replacing them or the wires from what you can see from the pics if that says anything. Thanks!

Old 05-29-2014, 08:55 PM
gerardvg
Melting Slicks

Received 188 Likes on 169 Posts

Hi
Spark plugs are cheap so replace them, the ignition leads are most important. Check them with a multimeter from one end to the other they should measure similar resistance. Replace the leads and check the throttle position sensor, there are 3 wires measure the top and middle wire and it should be set to 0.54 volts DC. Also check it goes up to around 4 volts dc with full throttle, you only need to turn the ignition on and no need to run the engine. Replacing the fuel filter is also a good idea.

Stay away from the methanol blend fuels, they can damage the standard injectors.

The EGR exhaust gas recirculation valve can jam, that can result in rough idle and stalling at idle.

A good service may be all she needs, plugs ignition leads and check the distributor cap and rotor is in good condition.

The TPI should start quickly and idle smoothly and give good milage.
Old 05-29-2014, 09:01 PM
solaris_vii
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by gerardvg
Hi
Spark plugs are cheap so replace them, the ignition leads are most important. Check them with a multimeter from one end to the other they should measure similar resistance. Replace the leads and check the throttle position sensor, there are 3 wires measure the top and middle wire and it should be set to 0.54 volts DC. Also check it goes up to around 4 volts dc with full throttle, you only need to turn the ignition on and no need to run the engine. Replacing the fuel filter is also a good idea.

Stay away from the methanol blend fuels, they can damage the standard injectors.

The EGR exhaust gas recirculation valve can jam, that can result in rough idle and stalling at idle.

A good service may be all she needs, plugs ignition leads and check the distributor cap and rotor is in good condition.

The TPI should start quickly and idle smoothly and give good milage.
this is all pretty perfect. the plugs look ok but for 2 bucks a pop for copper plugs you might as well change them, i always do when i get a new car because who knows when they were last changed. keep it well maintained and it will treat you well. and good pick, 89s are the best year!!
Old 05-30-2014, 06:46 AM
hcbph
Safety Car

Received 526 Likes on 476 Posts

Default Maint

Congrats on your Vette. As far as what to do, I'd suggest making up a list and then work it. I'd include plugs, wires and cap. Replace all the fluids and filters, the serpentine belt and check the u-joints on the driveshaft and half shafts to start. Another would be the brake pads and fluid. The radiator and coolant is another one.

You don't necessarily have to do them all at once but you'll likely want to do them all before you're through. Start with a fresh setup and you likely will be good for years to come IMO. If you haven't already, get yourself a FSM for your car, it's invaluable when you're working on something.
Old 05-30-2014, 07:11 AM
WW7
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 318 Posts

I don't know your level of knowledge on these cars so I just wanted to mention, anytime you put steel into aluminum you need to use antiseize on the threads, if you put plugs in your car without it , you may have a real problem getting them out in the future...This goes for screwing steel into the intake manifold, runners, plenum, etc...Always use antiseize going into aluminum..By the way,, those plugs are "Platinum ACDELCO PRO 41-808 Spark Plugs" and are about $7.00 each, in my opinion that plug looks fine and is showing no signs of abnormal wear......WW

Last edited by WW7; 05-30-2014 at 07:19 AM.
Old 05-30-2014, 10:12 AM
GQ-ROD
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you go with new copper ones, don't forget to gap them correctly, you'd be surprised how far off the mark they can be even when new.

Platinum you don't gap of course.
Old 06-01-2014, 08:50 AM
BlueMyMindC4
Advanced

Thanks for the help guys!
Old 06-16-2014, 02:51 PM
ameribrit
Advanced

Default Plug condition

Originally Posted by WW7
I don't know your level of knowledge on these cars so I just wanted to mention, anytime you put steel into aluminum you need to use antiseize on the threads, if you put plugs in your car without it , you may have a real problem getting them out in the future...This goes for screwing steel into the intake manifold, runners, plenum, etc...Always use antiseize going into aluminum..By the way,, those plugs are "Platinum ACDELCO PRO 41-808 Spark Plugs" and are about $7.00 each, in my opinion that plug looks fine and is showing no signs of abnormal wear......WW
I will second that - the plug looks to me like it has exactly the right fuel mixture, not too rich or lean and is firing well.
Old 06-16-2014, 03:54 PM
tntwolt
Racer

Originally Posted by hcbph
Congrats on your Vette. As far as what to do, I'd suggest making up a list and then work it. I'd include plugs, wires and cap. Replace all the fluids and filters, the serpentine belt and check the u-joints on the driveshaft and half shafts to start. Another would be the brake pads and fluid. The radiator and coolant is another one.

You don't necessarily have to do them all at once but you'll likely want to do them all before you're through. Start with a fresh setup and you likely will be good for years to come IMO. If you haven't already, get yourself a FSM for your car, it's invaluable when you're working on something.
And you should check or have checked, the wheel bearings. Found out a little late.

Get notified of new replies

To Should i replace my plugs? New owner

Quick Reply: Should i replace my plugs? New owner