C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Oil pressure gauge problem?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2014, 01:21 PM
96_Corvette
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil pressure gauge problem?

Hey everyone, not sure if this is normal? Start off that its a 1996 LT1 with 115000. Oil pressure gauge reads 0-3 at hot idle and I've been all over the threads and changed the oil pressure sending unit with no change and changed the oil with no change and from what I've read its probably the bearings..However I'm maybe thinking its the gauge in the cluster? When the engine is off and the key not in ACC the oil pressure gauge reads 10 and the other gauges are all the way to the low side (left) and when I turn the key to ACC the oil pressure gauge goes to 0 which I believe it should.. and when I turn the key back off the oil pressure gauge slowly goes back up to 10 (takes about 45 seconds) Can anyone explain if this is normal? How do your gauges look when the car is off? Is there anyway to test the gauge? Any input would be great. Thanks, Bryan.

Last edited by 96_Corvette; 05-24-2014 at 01:35 AM.
Old 05-22-2014, 01:46 PM
tbirdsps
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The best way to confirm a bad gage is to remove the oil sending unit and install a fitting and remote gage that is not electric but reads the oil pressure directly. There is no better way.

Quick Reply: Oil pressure gauge problem?