C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Paint Question?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2014, 01:42 AM
jflipp1234
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Paint Question?

I am buying an 84 with 60k miles for 2500.... Almost in pristine condition aside from the paint and faded trim pieces, all that's wrong with the paint is the front and rear bumpers clear coat is chipping away and the red paint is starting to fade to pink on the bumpers the rest of the car is perfectly clean, probably faded to some extent but not bad, I'm just curious how much I might expect to pay for a paint job, ballpark. Not looking to change colors, no need to paint door jams, not necessarily looking for show quality but I want a good paint job. I can do a fair amount of the prep work myself. I just want to know what I'm getting myself into. Thanks in advance
Old 05-01-2014, 01:57 AM
Dt86
Safety Car

Received 482 Likes on 342 Posts

Originally Posted by jflipp1234
I am buying an 84 with 60k miles for 2500.... Almost in pristine condition aside from the paint and faded trim pieces, all that's wrong with the paint is the front and rear bumpers clear coat is chipping away and the red paint is starting to fade to pink on the bumpers the rest of the car is perfectly clean, probably faded to some extent but not bad, I'm just curious how much I might expect to pay for a paint job, ballpark. Not looking to change colors, no need to paint door jams, not necessarily looking for show quality but I want a good paint job. I can do a fair amount of the prep work myself. I just want to know what I'm getting myself into. Thanks in advance
If its just the bumpers that are bad and the body is good have you considered just having those painted?
Old 05-01-2014, 02:47 AM
jflipp1234
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by Dt86
If its just the bumpers that are bad and the body is good have you considered just having those painted?
I thought about that but I'm curious if the rest of the car is faded enough that it will look bad with new shiny bright red paint on the bumpers and old dull paint on the rest of the car.
Old 05-01-2014, 09:07 AM
hdrydr1051
Intermediate

Originally Posted by jflipp1234
I have the same issue with my 85 but maybe a little more extensive. Hood, along the top of both doors, and around to the rear where the fuel door is. I got a quote of 2k to repaint.
Old 05-01-2014, 10:14 AM
mtnmanut
Racer

If its original red 30 yrs old I doubt if you'll ever get it to match. I have painted all my own cars and builds for over thirty yrs. Paint is not difficult just time consuming, and the cost of materials is going out of site. Gal. of primer 140.00 sealer 150.00 base coat 400.00 clearcoat 250.00 plus . This is for mid or downline product. DuPont paint this would be nassen , PPG downline would be shopline etc. Use there topline you can double the price of material. You can find online some less expensive paint products but I don't think I would want to experiment on your vet. I have seen base that has very little pigment and clears that yellow or cloud. I just ordered product from from online to paint a 66 ranchero my wife wants as a summer dailey driver if it turns out bad i'm not out that much and its my labor to repaint. Painting of a vet requires a lot of labor in dis-assembly to proper paint. headlights , rear bumper panel pulled loose , mirrors , inner rocker panel,etc. Yes you can go to cut rate paint shops and get cheaper paint jobs but you get what you pay for material and quality. Don't know where your from but I think you'll see from 6,000.00 up. just my 2 cents. Remember you get what you pay for.

Last edited by mtnmanut; 05-01-2014 at 11:33 AM.
Old 05-01-2014, 11:30 AM
corvetteronw
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 247 Likes on 200 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VIII
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

I had good luck with a C3 several years ago. I found a guy who worked out of his home shop. He did paint work for mom and pop used car dealers. So, I would advise to check with a few small used car lots and find out who they use.
Good luck!
Old 05-01-2014, 01:52 PM
jflipp1234
3rd Gear

Thanks for the input guys, that's about what I was expecting was about 5000.

Get notified of new replies

To Paint Question?

Quick Reply: Paint Question?