Old 04-24-2014, 02:17 PM
Vette Jockey
Roadster Madness. 😠
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,505 Likes on 860 Posts
SoCal Regional Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '13, '20-'21

Originally Posted by desertmike1
It looks like you have this under control.. I think you taught all of us the importance of carrying a fire bottle, I may have to look into this.
That is a scary feeling having your car catch on fire. I am glad you had a fire extinguisher.

I have a 2.5 LB Halon in the car and a 5 LB in the garage. Halon displaces oxygen and leaves no residue so it is perfect for cars and kitchens.
Old 04-25-2014, 05:29 AM
Paul Workman
Le Mans Master

Received 500 Likes on 395 Posts

Originally Posted by Vette Jockey
That is a scary feeling having your car catch on fire. I am glad you had a fire extinguisher.

I have a 2.5 LB Halon in the car and a 5 LB in the garage. Halon displaces oxygen and leaves no residue so it is perfect for cars and kitchens.
Halon, huh? I'll look into one of those. My wife's 69 Vette caught fire twice** now, and although the chemical bottles did a great job of putting the flames out, the MESS they left was extensive. Course, considering the alternative, I guess the mess wasn't bad at all!
**Note to self:
  1. Never install those cheap, plastic Chinese-made oil pressure gauge lines. They'll get soft with normal engine heat and spring a leak. Only copper line, from now on!!
  2. Never work on fuel lines and then crank the motor w/o fire extinguisher in hand (An aircraft mechanic told me that. He was right!!)
Old 04-25-2014, 09:49 AM
Carbd84
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul Workman
Although the chemical bottles did a great job of putting the flames out, the MESS they left was extensive.
The mess I'm going to have to clean out of my air ducts is going to be a nightmare. Since the fire melted a huge hole in my hvac box and I was shooting a chemical fire extinguisher directly at it I am fairly sure my vents are full of that chemical.

Looks like a few hours with a shop vac getting very intimate with the vette's vent air ducts is in the near future.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: So my car started on fire yesterday...