C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Problem with key fob activation

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2014, 06:48 PM
Has Mojo
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problem with key fob activation

I bought a keyless entry fob for my '95 as the car was equipped for one, but the previous owner never had one. I programmed it per manual instructions and it was working fine, then suddenly stopped. I had the same problem once before but don't remember how I fixed it. Reprogramming it did not work. (Its supposed to open the door locks and deactivate the alarm as you approach the car, and lock and set the alarm automatically when you leave the car.) Also, the buttons on the remote won't release the hatch or door lock. It's not a battery issue. Any ideas as to how to fix?

Thanks!
Old 04-23-2014, 02:53 AM
Vette Jockey
Roadster Madness. 😠
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,510 Likes on 864 Posts
SoCal Regional Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '13, '20-'21

Originally Posted by Has Mojo
I bought a keyless entry fob for my '95 as the car was equipped for one, but the previous owner never had one. I programmed it per manual instructions and it was working fine, then suddenly stopped. I had the same problem once before but don't remember how I fixed it. Reprogramming it did not work. (Its supposed to open the door locks and deactivate the alarm as you approach the car, and lock and set the alarm automatically when you leave the car.) Also, the buttons on the remote won't release the hatch or door lock. It's not a battery issue. Any ideas as to how to fix?

Thanks!
On my roadster, the passenger door button can be fiddly. If I hold it too long it will turn off the alarm, even though it has not unlocked the door. When I walk away from the car, if the alarm does not go off, I go back and fiddle with the fob until I hear the switch in the door. It sometime takes a few tries.
Old 04-23-2014, 10:22 AM
markKlein
Melting Slicks

Received 105 Likes on 90 Posts

Thanks!
You can turn the system on and off by holding the door button down for a few seconds. Try doing this until you hear a clack-clack sound, then see if things are working again. It's common for people to accidentally turn the system "off", although you should still be able to open the hatch with the hatch button. Oh, check fuses 26, 40 and 42.

Also, could be the fob just went bad. If you could find someone else with a working C4 fob you could try programming that one to the car and verify if it is a problem with your fob. (If you can program it there is probably not a problem with the receiver).

Last edited by markKlein; 04-23-2014 at 10:28 AM.
Old 05-04-2014, 12:03 AM
Has Mojo
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the replies, but unfortunately, neither option worked. Any other ideas?
Old 05-04-2014, 07:50 AM
markKlein
Melting Slicks

Thanks for the replies, but unfortunately, neither option worked. Any other ideas?
Maybe we could help if you giver us more information. Did you check the fuses? How long did you hold down the door button. Where were you standing? Did you put an ad on Craigslist asking for soemone to let you try their fob? Did you drop the fob? How do you know it's not a battery issue? Does the PKE light come on for a couple seconds when you turn the key on?
Old 05-14-2020, 07:59 PM
DAWS C5
Drifting

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I think you already have the answer. Replace the FOB battery. I had exactly the same problem. When I opened the trunk with the key, the alarm went off. That would only happen if the car could not detect the FOB. Replaced battery all is well.
Old 05-15-2020, 08:54 AM
markKlein
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by DAWS C5
I think you already have the answer. Replace the FOB battery. I had exactly the same problem. When I opened the trunk with the key, the alarm went off. That would only happen if the car could not detect the FOB. Replaced battery all is well.
Dude, a six year old post?
The following users liked this post:
puterami (05-15-2020)

Get notified of new replies

To Problem with key fob activation

Quick Reply: Problem with key fob activation