C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Switch forward of the seat

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2014, 06:44 AM
newbie2vette
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Switch forward of the seat

I was cleaning the seat on my 1992 yesterday, that's when I found a switch on the forward end of the drivers seat on the left side. I jumped in started the car and played with it. I felt nothing moving: What is the switch for, sorry no owners manual. Both passenger and drivers seat have them, either one does anything.
Old 04-21-2014, 08:40 AM
fredd1
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by newbie2vette
I was cleaning the seat on my 1992 yesterday, that's when I found a switch on the forward end of the drivers seat on the left side. I jumped in started the car and played with it. I felt nothing moving: What is the switch for, sorry no owners manual. Both passenger and drivers seat have them, either one does anything.
If the '92 seats are similar to the earlier MYs it's a lever, not a switch, and it is attached to a cable release to adjust the position of the seat back. Not very useful really since the range of adjustment is only about +/-5 degrees.
Old 04-21-2014, 09:09 AM
newbie2vette
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by fredd1
If the '92 seats are similar to the earlier MYs it's a lever, not a switch, and it is attached to a cable release to adjust the position of the seat back. Not very useful really since the range of adjustment is only about +/-5 degrees.
No, these two are switches. A small rocker type, I know what you are talking about the level for the back rest.
Old 04-21-2014, 09:16 AM
fredd1
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

No, these two are switches. A small rocker type, I know what you are talking about the level for the back rest.
Nothing like that on my '84. Could it be for an after-market seat warmer? These aren't the sport seats are they?

Last edited by fredd1; 04-21-2014 at 09:18 AM.
Old 04-21-2014, 02:42 PM
92ragtop
Melting Slicks

Received 204 Likes on 117 Posts
2023 C7 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2019 C4 of Year Finalist (appearance mods)
2015 C4 of Year Finalist

It is the Power bolster switch. Mine don't work either, and I don't think you can get them anymore. What I did on mine, is apply 12V to the bolster motor until the side bolsters were where I wanted them. That's where they stay, because no one else drives my car.
Old 04-22-2014, 02:42 PM
newbie2vette
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 92ragtop
It is the Power bolster switch. Mine don't work either, and I don't think you can get them anymore. What I did on mine, is apply 12V to the bolster motor until the side bolsters were where I wanted them. That's where they stay, because no one else drives my car.
Thank you! I managed to looked down there last night and saw the illustration, I guess I need to see if I can replace them with another style switch. I gather this switches are known to fail?
Old 04-22-2014, 03:37 PM
don hall
Safety Car

Received 224 Likes on 177 Posts

.... I gather this switches are known to fail?
They are prone to corrode. Remove the seat cushion, and you will be looking right at the connectors. If corroded, clean..... if cleaning doesn't work, apply 12V (batt charger or batt) to the switch.... if that doesn't work, check the wiring.
Old 04-23-2014, 07:23 AM
newbie2vette
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by seabright
They are prone to corrode. Remove the seat cushion, and you will be looking right at the connectors. If corroded, clean..... if cleaning doesn't work, apply 12V (batt charger or batt) to the switch.... if that doesn't work, check the wiring.
You suggest removing the seat cushion. is it that easy to remove? I guess I need to investigate how to that so I can troubleshoot the switch. Thank you.
Old 04-23-2014, 11:16 AM
don hall
Safety Car

Received 224 Likes on 177 Posts

You suggest removing the seat cushion. is it that easy to remove? I guess I need to investigate how to that so I can troubleshoot the switch. Thank you.
There is a wire in front of the seat cushion...... gently pull out and push down to release the cushion.
Old 04-24-2014, 06:56 AM
newbie2vette
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by seabright
There is a wire in front of the seat cushion...... gently pull out and push down to release the cushion.
Thank you again, I made this a priority last night. I sprayed some liquid qrench into the switch and worked it back and port, it didn't work at first. But after several attempt the motor started to run, did to both side. Wife is happy . During the process I discovered the small vacuum pumpfor the back support. I'll start a new thread for them.

Get notified of new replies

To Switch forward of the seat

Quick Reply: Switch forward of the seat