C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Double Din in an 89?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2014, 12:22 AM
black_89_vette
Melting Slicks

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Double Din in an 89?

Wanting to install a touchscreen radio, with nav and bluetooth.

Found the Kenwood DNX690HD
http://www.kenwood.ca/Car_Entertainm...ivers/DNX690HD

I also found a double din bezel.
http://shop.doubledmods.com/C4-Corve...-89ddbezel.htm

Is there anything else I'm missing for install here? With the double din bezel, will the radio install without issue?
Old 04-20-2014, 08:57 AM
TBSS/85vette
Racer

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

I wouldn't do the Kenwood. Look up the reviews of that model online, I wish I would have. I am taking my DNX690HD out of my TBSS this morning to repack and send back to Crutchfield. No one at Kenwood could make it work . It makes the speakers crackle, the Bluetooth does not work and it has a lot of history with Bluetooth issues even with the newest firmware version 1.8.0 installed. Go with the newer 2014 models or another brand. I ordered a Clarion NX404 to replace it.
Old 04-20-2014, 12:00 PM
Cruizin
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I installed the doubledmods bezel in my 86 about 12 months back with a Sony touch screen radio/Cd and hooked it up to a rear licence plate mounted reversing camera which is brilliant for parking. The bezel is a lovely piece, fits the unit perfectly and looks like it came from the factory - absolutely superb.

However, as soon as funds allow I'll be ditching the touchscreen radio. Too much reflection makes the screen very hard to see and a total driving distraction. Trying to find just the right place to touch when you're trying to drive with Z51 suspension makes these things worse than texting & driving. Almost impossible to find a track on a CD or change stations without nearly wiping out something or somebody.

Fitting the unit required a bit of trimming some of the original dash plastic around the radio hole and making up a couple of small metal brackets to hold the unit on each side into the original screw holes.

The unit is a real precision fit between the information center above it and the AC controls below. The radio squeezes in on a small square of carpet which sits on top of the AC controls. All quite simple and easily done as long as you have the time and patience.
Old 04-20-2014, 08:13 PM
MITCH
Drifting

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Cruizin
I installed the doubledmods bezel in my 86 about 12 months back with a Sony touch screen radio/Cd and hooked it up to a rear licence plate mounted reversing camera which is brilliant for parking. The bezel is a lovely piece, fits the unit perfectly and looks like it came from the factory - absolutely superb.

However, as soon as funds allow I'll be ditching the touchscreen radio. Too much reflection makes the screen very hard to see and a total driving distraction. Trying to find just the right place to touch when you're trying to drive with Z51 suspension makes these things worse than texting & driving. Almost impossible to find a track on a CD or change stations without nearly wiping out something or somebody.

Fitting the unit required a bit of trimming some of the original dash plastic around the radio hole and making up a couple of small metal brackets to hold the unit on each side into the original screw holes.

The unit is a real precision fit between the information center above it and the AC controls below. The radio squeezes in on a small square of carpet which sits on top of the AC controls. All quite simple and easily done as long as you have the time and patience.
I like the bezel. Looks good.
Old 04-20-2014, 09:23 PM
Dt86
Safety Car

Received 482 Likes on 342 Posts

Fitting the unit required a bit of trimming some of the original dash plastic around the radio hole and making up a couple of small metal brackets to hold the unit on each side into the original screw holes. The unit is a real precision fit between the information center above it and the AC controls below. The radio squeezes in on a small square of carpet which sits on top of the AC controls. All quite simple and easily done as long as you have the time and patience.
^ This sums it up nicely. I just used my original bezel and trimmed and shaped it.
Old 05-01-2014, 11:06 AM
MITCH
Drifting

Hi i am thinking about doing this with my car. Can you please send me pictures of it installed in your car.
Thanks
Mitch
Old 05-01-2014, 03:34 PM
Dt86
Safety Car

Originally Posted by MITCH
Hi i am thinking about doing this with my car. Can you please send me pictures of it installed in your car. Thanks Mitch
Here's how mine came out.

Name:  image-2900291685.jpg
Views: 8809
Size:  419.5 KB
The following users liked this post:
Bigdick (06-22-2019)
Old 05-01-2014, 06:29 PM
yaknow
Le Mans Master

Received 222 Likes on 154 Posts

nice install
Old 05-01-2014, 07:21 PM
hooked073
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

what all did you need to trim down? appears like you had to open the faceplate up did you take some off the top?bottom? or both. This is going to be my next little project
Old 05-01-2014, 07:23 PM
hooked073
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

what model system did you put in? and does it have GPS?
Old 05-01-2014, 08:28 PM
Dt86
Safety Car

Originally Posted by hooked073
what all did you need to trim down? appears like you had to open the faceplate up did you take some off the top?bottom? or both. This is going to be my next little project
You are right. I used a dremmel with a metal cutting blade and trimmed about 1/4 inch(guestimate) from both the top and bottom. You will also have to cut the plastic brace inside the dash to fit the double din unit inside. And I had to make a custom brace inside the dash to support and level the radio.
I used plastic bumper filler on the bezel to get the seam around the radio perfect. And painted it with SEM colorcoat.
It took a few days of getting the headunit to fit right and a few days of filling/sanding to get the bezel right. It was a fun project overall but it was also challenging because there is not much room in there to work with.
PM me if you have any problems/questions with your install.
Old 05-01-2014, 08:35 PM
Dt86
Safety Car

Originally Posted by hooked073
what model system did you put in? and does it have GPS?
I went with a Kenwood DPX500bt. I wanted this because it has hands free calling and streams music off my phone through bluetooth. I also like the customizable colors and set it up to match the rest of my dash. Best of all was the price.
No GPS. I just use google maps on my phone and the directions come through the speakers in the car.
Old 05-02-2014, 03:17 PM
MITCH
Drifting

Originally Posted by Dt86
Here's how mine came out.

Attachment 47790978
DT86,
You modfiyed the bezel yourself? Did you need to paint it when you where done? if yes what paint did you use to match the existing console?
Thanks
Mitch
Thanks for the picture!!!!
Old 05-02-2014, 05:14 PM
Dt86
Safety Car

Originally Posted by MITCH
DT86, You modfiyed the bezel yourself? Did you need to paint it when you where done? if yes what paint did you use to match the existing console? Thanks Mitch Thanks for the picture!!!!
I used SEM colorcoat (landau black) and low luster clear. It's close in color but a little flatter black in appearance than the molded plastic.
Old 05-03-2014, 09:19 AM
89 Vett
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Mine was custom since I went larger than double din and added the integrated radar. You can see more pics at 1989 Audio Update. In order to make enough space I eliminated two of the center vents and opened up the remaining two so that they moved the same amount of air. I also turned those vents sideways so that there could be enough room.

It's tight in the center dash, but there's plenty to work with.

As far as the Alpine and the painted surfaces, I've not had any glare issues.
Old 05-24-2018, 12:06 PM
jjkatona
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Double din bezel

Originally Posted by black_89_vette
Wanting to install a touchscreen radio, with nav and bluetooth.

Found the Kenwood DNX690HD
http://www.kenwood.ca/Car_Entertainm...ivers/DNX690HD

I also found a double din bezel.
http://shop.doubledmods.com/C4-Corve...-89ddbezel.htm

Is there anything else I'm missing for install here? With the double din bezel, will the radio install without issue?
Anyone else making these bezels as Double D mods is out of business ?
Old 05-24-2018, 07:47 PM
Need A Vette
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by jjkatona
Anyone else making these bezels as Double D mods is out of business ?
My guess is probably not, you will be on your own, or forced to go single DIN.

D.

Get notified of new replies

To Double Din in an 89?

Old 05-25-2018, 11:40 AM
c4stevette
Advanced

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

An iPad mini screen protector would help with your reflection. Different sizes are available and you could probably find one to match your unit.
Old 07-11-2018, 09:35 PM
jjkatona
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Need A Vette
My guess is probably not, you will be on your own, or forced to go single DIN.

D.

I ended up doing my own mod. This what i ended up with.
Old 07-12-2018, 08:05 AM
Need A Vette
Instructor

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

So how did you do it, what was the process, btw, it looks awesome!

Quick Reply: Double Din in an 89?