C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

BOSE CD Player doesn't work!

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2014, 04:04 AM
quickpix
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BOSE CD Player doesn't work!

Heya! I've got an original Bose AM/FM cassette/CD player in my '93 C4. Just bought the car a few months ago. Went to play a CD and it just stuck/stopped, didn't play. Any thoughts/repairs?
Thanks
Old 04-19-2014, 06:07 AM
Retxpres
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by quickpix
Heya! I've got an original Bose AM/FM cassette/CD player in my '93 C4. Just bought the car a few months ago. Went to play a CD and it just stuck/stopped, didn't play. Any thoughts/repairs?
Thanks
I have a 1994 coupe. My Bose does work most of the time. When I bought the car twenty years ago I thought, wow Bose Gold. Now I know, this system really sucks.
I always have tried to keep the car original, but after seeing some of the systems available today it is getting harder to keep this Bose System intact. I have been tossing the idea of replacing the system with some system that will fill the 2 din completely.
This is a hard trade off. Spend a lot of money and time to keep the out dated Bose. Update the system with all the modern day features.
Still not sure...
Attached Images  
Old 04-19-2014, 07:11 AM
ynot d
Instructor

They can be repaired(various vendors) usually pricey.
Old 04-19-2014, 07:23 AM
Red89'-L98
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
FL Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor'13

Personally replacing the old bose system is one of the few things you can go aftermarket with and it actually will raise the value. It is also very worth it.

Just make sure to keep the original incase you decide to sell. It is always nice to have the original because the buyer might want it.
Old 04-19-2014, 07:33 AM
Richard Raichert
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Join the club!

Got my 94 a year ago. Had both rear amps fixed, sounded pretty good! Put in a CD and it stuck in and didn't play and stereo wouldn't work also. It finally popped out the CD a few hours later. Afraid to try the Cassette player. At least the stereo plays! Would look at aftermarket but car is "bone stock" with 24000 on odo and hate to change anything.

Have some good cassettes from org owner, do cassettes get "sucked in" like CD's? Can you pull them out if they do not play, unlike CD's?

Last edited by Richard Raichert; 03-19-2015 at 02:06 PM.
Old 04-19-2014, 07:38 AM
Red89'-L98
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
FL Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor'13

Originally Posted by Richard Raichert
Got my 94 a year ago. Had both rear amps fixed, sounded pretty good! Put in a CD and it stuck in and didn't play and stereo wouldn't work also. It finally popped out the CD a few hours later. Afraid to try the Cassette player. At least the stereo plays! Would look at aftermarket but car is "bone stock" with 24000 on odo and hate to change anything.
If you ever need it replaced, I know a really good guy in lynn haven area that is excelent at anything to do with car aftermarket electronics. But I see where you are on the keep it original. Iwould have done the same but when i got mine it was already altered somewhat and not "bone stock" so i didnt really care. I actually ended up using the old bose speakers as computer speakers lol.
Old 04-19-2014, 07:39 AM
Retxpres
Instructor

I feel the same way. Spent some money a few years back to get the system working and it still is very temperamental. My car is pretty much stock with 35,000 miles on her. I hate changing anything even though I updated the wheels. Still kept the Sawblades. I guess I could do the same with the radio. Upgrade and save the Bose.
Old 04-19-2014, 07:40 AM
LannyL81
Melting Slicks

Received 106 Likes on 71 Posts

Is the CD disc stuck in the player or just will not play?

I sent the unit out of my '95 in for repair/tune-up/cleaning to the guy that most C4 owners use....now if I could just think of his name....?????

Anyways not cheap, but less than a new unit, plug new speakers, wiring, installation time.
Old 04-19-2014, 10:36 AM
C4papasan
Advanced

got my 92 three years ago...replaced amps and had Dr Don fix Bose radio...wanted to keep original......sorry now...plan new double din in future....and Yes cassettes get stuck and difficult to remove with tape intact...
Old 04-19-2014, 10:41 AM
C4papasan
Advanced

another thought.....Should have taken option ($) at Dr Don to replace cassette unit with MP3 port...more useful!
Old 04-19-2014, 12:47 PM
quickpix
Heel & Toe

Have some good cassettes from org owner, do cassettes get "sucked in" like CD's? Can you pull them out if they do not play, unlike CD's?
How would you know if the amps are bad? Yes, cassette players will eat cassettes. My CD stuck as well. I wonder if it just needs a claener disk/cassette? My '93 is bone stock as well with 58kI'd hate to change anything out as well.
Old 04-19-2014, 02:21 PM
Richard Raichert
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Bose amps

How would you know if the amps are bad? Yes, cassette players will eat cassettes. My CD stuck as well. I wonder if it just needs a claener disk/cassette? My '93 is bone stock as well with 58kI'd hate to change anything out as well.
Neither one of my rear speakers played at all and 99% of the time it is the amps. Removed both rear enclosures, unpluged amp board and sent to Longwood FL to rebuild. $80 for each amp.
Old 04-19-2014, 08:48 PM
Wheel Stander
Racer

Thanks
Contact these guys ... http://www.carstereohelp.com/ ... take some time and scroll their website. They can fix ANYTHING related to the Bose Gold Audio System. They also have some excellent videos showing how to remove and reinstall all of the various components included in the Bose system. Turnaround time is excellent. I just sent them a pair of rear speaker amps that needed repair and got them back in 5 days.
Old 04-19-2014, 10:46 PM
mixalive
Pro

Received 37 Likes on 24 Posts

Dr. Don did my Bose CD/Cassette rebuild. Awesome work at an awesome price.
Old 04-23-2014, 09:07 PM
quickpix
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by mixalive
Dr. Don did my Bose CD/Cassette rebuild. Awesome work at an awesome price.
Where is this Dr. Don and how do I contact him?
Thanks
Old 04-24-2014, 04:24 PM
TractionControlOff
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 15 Posts

Where is this Dr. Don and how do I contact him?
Thanks
http://www.doctordons.com/

That's who I keep hearing about too. Must be doing something right!
Old 07-23-2014, 05:39 PM
CORVETTEV8
Cruising

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The parts needed are below : Price $ 38.
Reference PANASONIC YESFD13002/e13002/13002 tête laser.

http://fr.aliexpress.com/wholesale?S...D13002&catId=0

But a long job to do. Consider 3h to replace the laser pickup.

Get notified of new replies

To BOSE CD Player doesn't work!

Old 07-23-2014, 05:44 PM
CORVETTEV8
Cruising

Default Bose amplifier repair

My Bose amplifier produce a hissing sound.
I was told that only 2 condensators have to be replace. But which ones ??
Does anyone have infos ?? Diagram, photos ??

Sincerely
Old 07-23-2014, 06:03 PM
N227GB
Racer

Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16-'17-'18,'19-'20,'23

I tried out my cassette deck for the first time yesterday (forgot to bring one with me when I did the pre-buy). So I shoved a 28 year old Best of Blondie cassette into a 26 year old deck because what could possibly go wrong!

Worked fine, even the scan function. Debbie did sound a little bit high pitched, like the playback was a little fast. What happens with a lot of old cassettes is that the little felt "tab" in the center of the open part below the tapes can come loose. You don't want debris like that in the deck.

I do have some intermittent sound issues like alternator whine, but I can live with that for now. Since I listen to a lot of streaming music, I've been using a little FM transmitter plugged into my phone. Not the best sound, and I get intermod from adjacent frequencies sometimes. I think a cassette adapter is in my near future.
Old 07-24-2014, 03:28 AM
CORVETTEV8
Cruising

Default Cassette stuck

When a cassette is stuck in the player it's because the mechanism didn't retreive it's original initialization position. Due to a slippery belt or some dirt. You have to turn the big white pulley with your finger until the end of the travel. And normally the mechanism reinitialize. Then a good cleaning with alcool and few oil drops.

Of course you have to dissasemble the radio unit. It's long but easy.

Quick Reply: BOSE CD Player doesn't work!