C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Why does my car have orange taillights

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2014, 11:35 PM
Bandit1977
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by aussie_g
I never was 100% sure on the rules, I have been here in the US for 12 years, actually 12 years today.
And I never had the opportunity to own an imported car when I lived in AU.

Obviously you have experience with the process, are any of your cars still LHD?

It was a little awkward to get used to when I came here, especially since my first car was a manual shift.
I would often reach for the door handle when I tried to shift.
And when I would go out to my car in the morning, I would often walk to the passenger side first - this one took about 4 years to completely get over...
Yes my 88 Vette is LHD and I specifically wanted it LHD, I wasn't interested in buying a RHD converted car with the issues/compromises that can sometimes come with them.
I couldn't find any nice late 80's LHD Vettes in this country so I bought my Vette in Florida 2 years ago and exported it to Oz.
My 71 Firebird is also LHD, I've owned that since 2003, again I wanted it LHD, took a while to find one in original condition.
My 77 T/A is RHD but it was LHD when I bought it back in 1989, however back then I had no choice but to convert it if I wanted to drive it legally. I've been seriously thinking about converting it back to LHD.

Originally Posted by c4cruiser
I thought that C4's that were export cars to Europe that were to be sold to citizens had a different design for the outside mirrors in addition to the orange turnsignals. IIRC, the mirrors were rectangular and mounted on a post. There was no aero housing like domestic C4's. I think that new Corvettes sold in Japan were also configured that way.

The various accessory catalogs carried a conversion kit that had two orange tail lamp assemblies and a conversion wiring harness. Could be that the OP's car has a kit like that.

Also check the RPO sticker that would be under the console lid. There are a number of codes that identify export cars to specific countries. These codes should start with the letter "C".
c4cruiser, you're correct on the export version/differences for the C4 sold in Europe and Japan.
I believe the Euro tail lights also had to sit flush with the rear panel, instead of being recessed and I think the provision for the license plate was made wider to accommodate the longer Euro plates.
The Japanese export cars (and I think the Euro cars) also had additional square reflectors placed in line with the black body molding.
Old 04-20-2014, 07:40 AM
tunedport85inject
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Bandit1977
Yes my 88 Vette is LHD and I specifically wanted it LHD, I wasn't interested in buying a RHD converted car with the issues/compromises that can sometimes come with them.
I couldn't find any nice late 80's LHD Vettes in this country so I bought my Vette in Florida 2 years ago and exported it to Oz.
My 71 Firebird is also LHD, I've owned that since 2003, again I wanted it LHD, took a while to find one in original condition.
My 77 T/A is RHD but it was LHD when I bought it back in 1989, however back then I had no choice but to convert it if I wanted to drive it legally. I've been seriously thinking about converting it back to LHD.

c4cruiser, you're correct on the export version/differences for the C4 sold in Europe and Japan.
I believe the Euro tail lights also had to sit flush with the rear panel, instead of being recessed and I think the provision for the license plate was made wider to accommodate the longer Euro plates.
The Japanese export cars (and I think the Euro cars) also had additional square reflectors placed in line with the black body molding.
I live in Italy and i can confirm,Europe export car had wider licence plate,additional self reflectors and amber turn signals,red additional rear fog light (even different rear mirrors).Particularly in Italy we can't use sidemarkers and we have to cover the rear markers when we have registration and tech inspection .i think Japan rules are very similar to Europe,amber turn light for sure.

Last edited by tunedport85inject; 04-20-2014 at 07:43 AM.
Old 04-20-2014, 10:48 PM
84VetteMan205hp
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

it doesnt look so bad
Old 04-21-2014, 07:38 AM
XR_Strider_GuY
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I never was 100% sure on the rules, I have been here in the US for 12 years, actually 12 years today.
And I never had the opportunity to own an imported car when I lived in AU.

Obviously you have experience with the process, are any of your cars still LHD?

It was a little awkward to get used to when I came here, especially since my first car was a manual shift.
I would often reach for the door handle when I tried to shift.
And when I would go out to my car in the morning, I would often walk to the passenger side first - this one took about 4 years to completely get over...
Aussie_g,
How ironic, I frequently visit Greenville South Carolina and stay in Pelham rd. Have lived there for 3 months straight. Know many friends there and love the deep south. I live in Australia half way between Geelong and Melbourne and own a 1990 Corvette. Part of the Corvettes of Geelong too.

Rules in Victoria as stands say that you can drive a left hand drive car if its 25 years old or older through club permit. This means you can drive a 1988 or older model Corvette in left hand drive but you need to fill in a log book everytime you drive. So its not something you can pop down to the petrol station in to get the paper and chips (no instant grits here or hershey's).

There is another rule that says anything 1989 or newer needs to be RAWS compliant which states the car needs to be right hand drive converted along with the amber blinkers and head light conversion by a raws acredited work shop. No back yard jobs allowed anymore. The catch 22 is for the cost of conversion $25-30k all ofthe places here are doing C6's. Even C5's are off the menu. Therefore the only 1989 or newer C4 corvettes that can be driven legally on full registration are the cars already converted in the past. Would be nice to import and own a 1996 Grand sport here in Aus but that will never happen.
Old 04-21-2014, 01:35 PM
maddogwyatt
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

[QUOTE=c4cruiser;1586695737]I thought that C4's that were export cars to Europe that were to be sold to citizens had a different design for the outside mirrors in addition to the orange turnsignals. IIRC, the mirrors were rectangular and mounted on a post. There was no aero housing like domestic C4's. I think that new Corvettes sold in Japan were also configured that way.

My '93 vert was exported new to Japan, and has the export Mirrors (ugly things . I have US ones painted and ready to fit) Does anyone know if my rear turnlights are an original option, or home-brewed? They're neatly done, and mean I still have the proper iconic 4 red taillights

Last edited by maddogwyatt; 04-21-2014 at 01:40 PM.
Old 04-21-2014, 02:06 PM
aussie_g
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by XR_Strider_GuY
Aussie_g,
How ironic, I frequently visit Greenville South Carolina and stay in Pelham rd. Have lived there for 3 months straight. Know many friends there and love the deep south. I live in Australia half way between Geelong and Melbourne and own a 1990 Corvette. Part of the Corvettes of Geelong too.

Rules in Victoria as stands say that you can drive a left hand drive car if its 25 years old or older through club permit. This means you can drive a 1988 or older model Corvette in left hand drive but you need to fill in a log book everytime you drive. So its not something you can pop down to the petrol station in to get the paper and chips (no instant grits here or hershey's).

There is another rule that says anything 1989 or newer needs to be RAWS compliant which states the car needs to be right hand drive converted along with the amber blinkers and head light conversion by a raws acredited work shop. No back yard jobs allowed anymore. The catch 22 is for the cost of conversion $25-30k all ofthe places here are doing C6's. Even C5's are off the menu. Therefore the only 1989 or newer C4 corvettes that can be driven legally on full registration are the cars already converted in the past. Would be nice to import and own a 1996 Grand sport here in Aus but that will never happen.
Next time your here send me a PM and we can get together for a Beer. I work right off Pelham rd
The world gets smaller everyday.
Old 04-21-2014, 02:46 PM
Vette Daddy
Le Mans Master

Received 95 Likes on 45 Posts

[QUOTE=maddogwyatt;1586711892]
Originally Posted by c4cruiser
I thought that C4's that were export cars to Europe that were to be sold to citizens had a different design for the outside mirrors in addition to the orange turnsignals. IIRC, the mirrors were rectangular and mounted on a post. There was no aero housing like domestic C4's. I think that new Corvettes sold in Japan were also configured that way.

My '93 vert was exported new to Japan, and has the export Mirrors (ugly things . I have US ones painted and ready to fit) Does anyone know if my rear turnlights are an original option, or home-brewed? They're neatly done, and mean I still have the proper iconic 4 red taillights
Check on the backside to see if the bumper was molded with the extra orange turn lights. I suspect they were. I've never seen those before though. Kinda neat.
Old 04-22-2014, 12:31 PM
tunedport85inject
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

this is an export configured early C4,as you can see wider license plate housing,reflectors ,export mirrors(ugly!!!),amber turn light,and now i can see from the pics even the back up lights are different desing under the license plate

Last edited by tunedport85inject; 04-22-2014 at 12:34 PM.
Old 04-22-2014, 04:09 PM
2vettes2go
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default yellow lamps

I just got an 88 coupe, and unlike all the other C4's I see, it has one set of orange taillights, whats the deal?

Im going to change them out to red, but curious as to why...
they are the European style lamps. do they blink or are they just for show? I converted my 84 to that style but you have to do some wiring changes, if they do not blink, you are ok to change them back. if they do act as turn signals you will have to do some wiring changes, look up forum questions to add European signal lamps for turn signals.

Quick Reply: Why does my car have orange taillights