Notices
C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

What's up with the dissing of the C4??

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2014, 11:54 AM
cor28vettes
Race Director

Received 1,101 Likes on 853 Posts

There are guys on the forum who are dissing owners of 67's so don't feel so bad.
Old 04-19-2014, 12:28 PM
Little Red L98
Goon Squad BS Detector
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 428 Likes on 125 Posts
2018 C4 of the Year Winner
2017 C4 of the Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '15, '17

I did start a thread in Off Topic last year. The reason people poke fun at the C4 is because it's fun. There's 15 pages worth of comments, mostly in jest, some quite funny. Lotsa love for the C4 there. However some ZR1 fans got butthurt and that's when the ugliness started and a moderator locked the thread. It ain't the fastest, bestest car out there, but it's a Corvette - America's sports car! I love my 89 TPI and doubt I'll ever sell it.

https://www.corvetteforum.com/off-to...aters-why.html
Old 04-19-2014, 01:01 PM
aj1988
Melting Slicks

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have only owned a Vette since 1967, so compared to some I am a noob. I started with a 63 ragtop and drove it into the ground. Next was a 66 coupe, 350/327 air car. It was great till spring when I discovered that if you put the top down (hack saw needed) it would cost a small fortune to put it back up. Then came a 66 r/t. Had to sell for downpayment on house. Then came another 63 r/t. Traded that for a 71 BB. Sold that to put a pool in the house. Found a doggie 72 and rebuilt (Still in my garage). Found my 88 (blue/blue coupe) in 99 and still have it. Bought the one I am driving now, 91 blue coupe in Nov.

First one I ever drove was a 62 340 hp when I was 16. First I ever rode in was a 54 in 54. Had a friend that bought a 53 (#273) and brought it over and let me drive it. Look for comments about 53s and most are very critical. Well, the car was a hoot to drive. Steering wheel felt as big as a man hole cover.

I am currently on what is probably my last long trip which will end up being close to 4k miles by the time I get home. So far the car has run like a swiss watch. I can't believe the compliments I get when I stop for gas.

For me the C4 is just plain fun. I don't care who likes/dislikes them, they are mine and truly only my opinion matters to me.
Old 04-19-2014, 07:49 PM
chevyc4man
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love my c4 and have wanted one ever since I was a kid!
Old 04-19-2014, 08:04 PM
choppy9er
Intermediate

Here in North Texas,the guys in the C5 and C6's love my car! They know how important the C4 is.I always get a thumbs up when I pull up next to one because the C4 is more like a true sports car,smaller and thinner and with the big tires.Its awesome on the highway,and the handling is second to none.Mine is fast too,which really makes it a great driving experiance,like your one with the car.I have driven 5 and 6's and they don't feel that way.
Old 04-20-2014, 12:38 AM
fl_799
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts

When the C4 hit the streets in '83, it was eagerly anticipated. That digital gauge package was just the most amazing thing I ever saw. Heck, I'd stalk owners returning to their '84's just to catch a glimpse!

The bashing I see revolved around comparing the horsepower, 0-60, and 1/4 mile times of C4's to today's cars. Most of these idiots have no understanding (or appreciation) how performance clawed it's way back starting with the L98's and the 5.0L 225HP Mustangs. It was like turning the clock back to 1970 all over again. 0-60 times were in the high 5 and 6 second range, 1/4 mile times back in the high 13's and low 14's. Easy to play Monday morning quarterback when these guys were born after 1990 and have no understanding about the 60's muscle car era, the doldrums of the 70's and the fight back to restore performance. The base C4 compared quite favorably with anything from Porsche, Lotus, Ferrari, and Lamborghini until the late 80's and then the ZR1 took it from there.

My daily driver is a fully built (engine, suspension) '07 Mustang GT/CS bought new. It would lay waste to my '89 C4 Convertible in both handing and power but I walk right past it when I want to actually enjoy driving. The C4 is just a great, uncompromising drivers car with gobs of torque, great handling, and lots of charm behind the wheel.
Old 04-20-2014, 12:49 AM
overdrawn
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by chevyc4man
I love my c4 and have wanted one ever since I was a kid!

Old 04-20-2014, 06:55 AM
bac22
Le Mans Master

Received 186 Likes on 163 Posts

Any Vette owner that dishes on another Vette is just a loser and doesn't deserve to own a Vette!

Also the C4 saved the Corvette in general, if sales didn't meet expectations, there was a very real threat that GM was going to stop producing the Corvette because of poor sales with later years of the C3. Much like the Camero, would have sucked if there were years that a Vette wasn't produced!
Old 04-20-2014, 07:56 AM
ps374
Melting Slicks

Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

What I always find fuuny is people who bad mouth the crossfire injection of the 84 never say a bad word about the 82 especially if its a collectors edition. Some one needs to inform them. The 84 has the same engine. And none of the 82s are going on fire and breaking down on the side of the road like the 84s.
Old 04-20-2014, 10:50 AM
MavsAK
Melting Slicks

Received 43 Likes on 34 Posts

The ones that bash the C4 have usually never had one.
Nor do they have any real appreciation for cars. For them the more expensive vettes are a status symbol and nothing more. They aren't car guys.
Old 04-20-2014, 01:30 PM
06_LT1
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

While I've never had anyone talk smack about my C4, I can confirm that this isn't just a Corvette-related phenomenon. My '99 911, pictured below, is a 996 series, the first water-cooled 911, so the older 911 owners as well as the current generation 911 owners think it's inferior. Like the C4, the 996 is an incredible car, especially given what you can buy them for.

This behavior is limited to the Internet. In person, I have never had anything but complements for either car. So, f*** the internet. I'm delighted with both of my "substandard" cars...

My "lowly" 911:

My "old and busted" C4:
Old 04-20-2014, 07:00 PM
fl_799
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah, the early 996's get a shellacking on the forums just because they share the forward sheetmetal with the equally 'lowly' Boxster?

Last I checked, the 996 generation earned rave reviews and pushed 300 HP from the 3.4 liter engine and the first generation Boxster was as close to the perfect traditional sports-roadster that has ever been built.

But snobbery has advantages.....all of these cars are available for great prices. More for us!

It's only been a few years that the soft bumper and post '75 C3's are finally getting their due. I'd personally love to own a stock crossfire '82 collectors edition. Driving my friends stock '84 C4 a few years ago reignited my interest in C4's. Cross fire be damned, they are both fun cars to drive.
Old 04-20-2014, 07:48 PM
Philsphan
Racer

Originally Posted by 06_LT1
While I've never had anyone talk smack about my C4, I can confirm that this isn't just a Corvette-related phenomenon. My '99 911, pictured below, is a 996 series, the first water-cooled 911, so the older 911 owners as well as the current generation 911 owners think it's inferior. Like the C4, the 996 is an incredible car, especially given what you can buy them for.

This behavior is limited to the Internet. In person, I have never had anything but complements for either car. So, f*** the internet. I'm delighted with both of my "substandard" cars...

My "lowly" 911:

My "old and busted" C4:
Great cars in a perfect world I'd have a 911 and a c4... People who knock sports cars I don't get. My buddy has an Infiniti G37S coupe thinks my 88 35th is a pos so don't feel bad
Old 04-21-2014, 01:01 PM
06_LT1
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

I don't feel bad. The 911 does 150 in fifth (it's a six-speed), goes like stink, and looks better than just about anything on the road (at least anything costing less than $100K). For a car that cost me $10K out of pocket (I sold my Boxster to buy the 911), that ain't bad.

Other than the sun fading on the hatch carpet, my '96 C4 still looks like a new car, and with the limited mods I've done, is respectably quick.

There are a lot of people driving Camrys and Altimas that spent far more on their cars than I spent on either of mine. I love both cars as-is, no disclaimers necessary, but when I think about how much people spend on their new sh!tboxes, I love 'em even more.

Originally Posted by Philsphan
Great cars in a perfect world I'd have a 911 and a c4... People who knock sports cars I don't get. My buddy has an Infiniti G37S coupe thinks my 88 35th is a pos so don't feel bad
About once a month, I hear the "oh, must be nice to have enough money to drive a _________" (insert Corvette or Porsche here). Most of the time, in the least dickish way possible, I let that person know that I spent less money on my car than whatever it is they're driving. If the person's an ***, though, I just smile and say, "Yup, it's pretty nice."

The valets never park a Camry or an Altima next to the front door, do they?

Last edited by 06_LT1; 04-21-2014 at 01:04 PM.
Old 04-21-2014, 02:59 PM
Lloyd Smale
Le Mans Master

Received 47 Likes on 45 Posts

look at the later year c3s. For a while you about couldn give on away. it was easy to pick up a real nice one for 7k. Now your looking a double that. Half the power not as good in the twistys, drink alot more fuel and cost as much as a c4. The days comming when the price of our c4 is going to go climbing.
Old 04-21-2014, 03:42 PM
JD Shredds
Burning Brakes

Received 47 Likes on 42 Posts

Just to add to the C4 love, I'm not a Corvette owner yet so I don't have the built-in biased toward "my car," but last night I had the fun experience to be sandwiched between a red C6 and a red C4 (88 or 89). I have to say, the C4 stole the show. In fact, I lost track of the C6 because I kept staring over at the C4. I think when enough time passes it will be considered a very classic design. And anytime you hear say "X or Y makes it look dated" is just the prelude to "X or Y makes it look classic." Classic cars don't look great because they look modern. Also, they all go through that lull between new and classic where they're just yesterday's news. Soon enough the C5 will get its share of bashing and the C4 will rise as a classic. It's just the cycle of generations.

Speaking of generations, I've noticed how the C4 really seemed to nail us guys born in the 80s. Over and over I see guys my age saying "I've wanted one since I was a kid." I was born in '84, so as far as I'm concerned I was born to own a C4.

Originally Posted by 06_LT1

My "lowly" 911:

My "old and busted" C4:
Great cars, and yeah I can imagine the fussing over a non-air cooled 911. You've got it right, though. People love to strut their annoying opinions around on the internet, but in person you'll usually only hear from people who appreciate the car.
Old 04-21-2014, 03:53 PM
DGXR
Melting Slicks

Received 346 Likes on 300 Posts

Originally Posted by Scooter 94
Diss away. I don't care. Love my C4.

Guess it's only natural some folks buy a Corvette with the intention of impressing others. I feel sorry for folks like that whose self-esteem is apparently small enough to be improved by a 3000 lb. hunk of aluminum and plastic
I get this a lot. "You obviously need a flashy attention grabber to make it through your mid-life crisis." LOL These comments come from people who don't know me, so I let them say whatever ignorant things they need to say and I don't defend or respond. (Responding with silence always makes them look like a jackhole.) Maybe they are just jealous, but I don't know and I don't care. I bought the car because it is fun and it's in my price range. It is a toy and I play with it. I also have motorcycles and other toys, but they don't get criticism like the Corvette. I could have bought a Mustang or Camaro or the like, but all those cars I test-drove just didn't feel right, they felt loose or nasty loud or something was plain wrong. The C4 may not always be faster, but it is meaner, funner, a better ride, and I just like it more than Mustangs or Camaros. It is right for me

Get notified of new replies

To What's up with the dissing of the C4??

Old 04-22-2014, 09:26 AM
Oldballs65
Intermediate

St. Jude Donor '14

Originally Posted by Wheel Stander
Your comments are right on target, Brother. Who cares what some other knucklehead thinks? A Corvette is a Corvette is a Corvette. And if it's not a Corvette, then it's not the ultimate American sports car. Everyone should have a chance to relive their misspent youth and have a great time doing it.
Yeah...what he said.
Old 04-23-2014, 01:49 PM
kelmbaker
Cruising

I have heard at least a few "mid life crisis" remarks. Real car guys "get" getting a car that looks so good, and runs like scat for so little money. I am determined to bring my car back from the dead. People that make comment on my car can go srew them selves. I restored Studebakers for awhile. They were cheap and different. I never thought I'd hear some of the same crap from "Car guys" about a Corvette. I am priviledged to own this car. If other 'vette owners don't wave? So what.
Old 04-23-2014, 04:23 PM
Black'95
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 17 Posts

Wouldn't an original Avanti look great sitting next to your Corvette! (But a lot of the young guys might not know what we are talking about!)

Quick Reply: What's up with the dissing of the C4??