Support Corvetteforum!

Location: They say you learn from your mistakes, I must be a genius
Received 248 Likes on 114 Posts
2017 Corvette of the Year
2016 C4 of Year Finalist
Creator of the "Original" whining and crying thread
St. Jude Donor '14-'15-'16-'17

Originally Posted by Paul Workman
This thread has come around more times that a carousel pony!

You long term C4 guys, see if this about sums it up:
  1. Snobbery: Probably the most prevalent cause - and if you think it is limited to one of the Corvette generations, you should hear the snobbery from the Ferrari or Porsche crowd - that includes ALL Corvettes, new and old! Fuggum.
  2. Piling on: It doesn't require any actual knowledge to diss something. As long as the one doing the dissing repeats what he believes some other "knowledgeable expert" says, then he's 'golden'. (Same people like to hear their themselves talk. Ever notice that?)
  3. Ride quality: The early C4 was the first production car in the US to pull 1G on the skid pad. But, (according to on of Dave McLellan's books on the C4) development tests were conducted on test tracks and regions of the country where weather was not an issue. This, turned out to be a mistake, especially on the early C4s, when customers began driving their C4s on the pot-hole riddled streets of the northeast, especially. AND, because of the harshness, there was a lot of problems with dash plastic fasteners loosening up to where squeaks and rattles developed which gave way to (I think) most of the dissing and "hoopty" aspect. This issue was successfully addressed in the later mo C4s, but the reputation of being a hash, squeaky ride had stained the C4s regardless of year or model.
  4. Cabin dimensions: The average person's height and weight has evolved toward taller, bigger people. The story Dave tells goes that manikins initially used to establish cabin dimensions including leg room and seats were from an earlier era (read: the average person was shorter/lighter). The die was cast, and although the seats and some minor refinements followed, the complaints regarding leg room and seats being too narrow persisted until the end of the C4 run/beginning of the C5 era.
  5. Horsepower: HP was just beginning to creep out of the doldrums resulting from unleaded fuels and EPA requirements. So, by comparison to Vettes 25-30 years hence, even family grocery getters post hp numbers higher than the early C4s (especially). However, compared to any of the competition of the time, Corvette compared very well. In fact the SCCA eliminated Corvette from their showroom class race competitions because Corvette was always the winner. (This lead to the Corvette Challenge series cars that stood apart from the SCCA - barring nobody from competing: a proud moment in history for the C4 Corvette among all commer sports cars!

Improvements during the 80s in some of these issues engine performance most of all, didn't evolve as quickly at Corvette as they did in Europe. Consequently a gap between the European rivals and Corvette continued to widen in the 80s. But, that was about to change.

Long story short, a select group of engineers within Chevrolet/Corvette set a goal to build a world beater Corvette that could beat the best in class of what Europe was building at the time. Lotus, recently acquired for a time, was charged with building an entirely new, purpose-built (race) engine for the Corvette. And, because of their unique experience with designing and building all-aluminum motors - designed to run at full throttle most of the time, Mercury Marine was given the contract to build the new Lotus DOHC, 4-valve/cylinder design, aka the LT5, and the ZR-1 was born.

It's no secret that, as Dave McLellan said at one of the Bowling Green gatherings; "The LT5/ZR-1 stuck a finger in a lot of GM people's eyes!" Or, as he also says (of the LT5), 'it got GM Powertrain off their (hands) to inspire them to come up with a more competitive design. (The LT1/4 were inspired by the LT5 performance, and the LSx and Northstar motor shares significant DNA with the LT5 architecture.

The C3 had over-run its course, and sales put the entire Corvette line in jeopardy. However, it was the long awaited C4 that saved Corvette, in the early 80s; without which Corvette production might well have ended.

One more thought: For all of those that look back 25-30 years to bash the Corvette, I would venture to say most of them have neither driven, much less owned a Corvette, AND the C4 has more capability than 90% of those mouthy idiots can appreciate.

So...Enjoy your Corvette. Ain't nuttin like um!
Thanks Paul....you saved me a lot of typing.
Old 04-18-2014, 01:30 PM
H P Bushrod

Received 109 Likes on 84 Posts
CI 5-6-7-8-9-10-11-12 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23
NCM Sinkhole Donor

1. Snobbery: Probably the most prevalent cause - and if you think it is limited to one of the Corvette generations, you should hear the snobbery from the Ferrari or Porsche crowd - that includes ALL Corvettes, new and old! Fuggum.
  2. Piling on: It doesn't require any actual knowledge to diss something. As long as the one doing the dissing repeats what he believes some other "knowledgeable expert" says, then he's 'golden'. (Same people like to hear their themselves talk. Ever notice that?)
  3. Ride quality: The early C4 was the first production car in the US to pull 1G on the skid pad. But, (according to on of Dave McLellan's books on the C4) development tests were conducted on test tracks and regions of the country where weather was not an issue. This, turned out to be a mistake, especially on the early C4s, when customers began driving their C4s on the pot-hole riddled streets of the northeast, especially. AND, because of the harshness, there was a lot of problems with dash plastic fasteners loosening up to where squeaks and rattles developed which gave way to (I think) most of the dissing and "hoopty" aspect. This issue was successfully addressed in the later mo C4s, but the reputation of being a hash, squeaky ride had stained the C4s regardless of year or model.
  4. Cabin dimensions: The average person's height and weight has evolved toward taller, bigger people. The story Dave tells goes that manikins initially used to establish cabin dimensions including leg room and seats were from an earlier era (read: the average person was shorter/lighter). The die was cast, and although the seats and some minor refinements followed, the complaints regarding leg room and seats being too narrow persisted until the end of the C4 run/beginning of the C5 era.
  5. Horsepower: HP was just beginning to creep out of the doldrums resulting from unleaded fuels and EPA requirements. So, by comparison to Vettes 25-30 years hence, even family grocery getters post hp numbers higher than the early C4s (especially). However, compared to any of the competition of the time, Corvette compared very well. In fact the SCCA eliminated Corvette from their showroom class race competitions because Corvette was always the winner. (This lead to the Corvette Challenge series cars that stood apart from the SCCA - barring nobody from competing: a proud moment in history for the C4 Corvette among all commer sports cars!

Improvements during the 80s in some of these issues engine performance most of all, didn't evolve as quickly at Corvette as they did in Europe. Consequently a gap between the European rivals and Corvette continued to widen in the 80s. But, that was about to change.

Long story short, a select group of engineers within Chevrolet/Corvette set a goal to build a world beater Corvette that could beat the best in class of what Europe was building at the time. Lotus, recently acquired for a time, was charged with building an entirely new, purpose-built (race) engine for the Corvette. And, because of their unique experience with designing and building all-aluminum motors - designed to run at full throttle most of the time, Mercury Marine was given the contract to build the new Lotus DOHC, 4-valve/cylinder design, aka the LT5, and the ZR-1 was born.

It's no secret that, as Dave McLellan said at one of the Bowling Green gatherings; "The LT5/ZR-1 stuck a finger in a lot of GM people's eyes!" Or, as he also says (of the LT5), 'it got GM Powertrain off their (hands) to inspire them to come up with a more competitive design. (The LT1/4 were inspired by the LT5 performance, and the LSx and Northstar motor shares significant DNA with the LT5 architecture.

The C3 had over-run its course, and sales put the entire Corvette line in jeopardy. However, it was the long awaited C4 that saved Corvette, in the early 80s; without which Corvette production might well have ended.

One more thought: For all of those that look back 25-30 years to bash the Corvette, I would venture to say most of them have neither driven, much less owned a Corvette, AND the C4 has more capability than 90% of those mouthy idiots can appreciate.

As usual, Paul hits a home run with this post!
Old 04-18-2014, 01:33 PM
PLRX
Team Owner

Received 501 Likes on 342 Posts
Co-winner 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified
2018 Corvette of Year Finalist
2017 C4 of Year
2016 C7 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20

Time for the C4 clown
Old 04-18-2014, 01:48 PM
WW7
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by PLRX
Time for the C4 clown
Do it Pete, do it.!!!!..........WW
Old 04-18-2014, 02:12 PM
PLRX
Team Owner

Received 501 Likes on 342 Posts
Co-winner 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified
2018 Corvette of Year Finalist
2017 C4 of Year
2016 C7 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'18-'19-'20

Originally Posted by WW7
Do it Pete, do it.!!!!..........WW
I can no longer post the old C4 clown flyer because one guy in here (CorvetteMike) or more was/were BUTT-HURT because he thought I was calling him a clown. It was removed by a moderator, and I received a warning for name calling.

...But in this one I'm not calling anyone a clown.

Paul posted something we have been saying for a long time, but like Bryan said once "the only C4 bashing in the world comes from this forum"

Last edited by PLRX; 04-18-2014 at 02:15 PM.
Old 04-18-2014, 02:40 PM
Frizlefrak
Race Director

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

All the girls in the trailer park soak their thongs over the C4.....What's sexier than a middle aged high school janitor driving a 30 year old Chevy?

If you're thin skinned, the C4 (especially the 84) should be avoided like the plague. You will take crap for owning one. If that sets off the Butt-Hurt-O-Meter, I suspect other things do too.
Old 04-18-2014, 02:49 PM
WW7
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by Frizlefrak
All the girls in the trailer park soak their thongs over the C4.....What's sexier than a middle aged high school janitor driving a 30 year old Chevy?

If you're thin skinned, the C4 (especially the 84) should be avoided like the plague. You will take crap for owning one. If that sets off the Butt-Hurt-O-Meter, I suspect other things do too.
Friz,,,C4 Pride is alive and well in West Virginia.......WW

Old 04-18-2014, 03:15 PM
Frizlefrak
Race Director

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by WW7
Friz,,,C4 Pride is alive and well in West Virginia.......WW

Livin' the dream...
Old 04-18-2014, 03:20 PM
JD Shredds
Burning Brakes

Received 47 Likes on 42 Posts

Nailed it.
Old 04-18-2014, 04:28 PM
Crossed Flags Fan
Melting Slicks

Received 493 Likes on 276 Posts

Default Lovin' it....

I have to agree with Paul Workman's comments. And as time went on Chevrolet made it better and better.
As the proud owner of a C7, I still think my 95 C4 is a great car. My son who has a C6 also says he loves the C4. I'l never sell it.
Raw power, you are in control, very little "nanny" interference, gobs of hp and tq and blast to drive. I think it's overall design and looks will be timeless. I know the C7 will eventually be dated looking, but the C4 won't be. It's the right amount of aero and the right amount of "clean" without out a lot of extraneous lines and add ons.
I'm guessing it will eventually be considered one of the more advanced and timeless designs by GM
Old 04-18-2014, 07:59 PM
QCVette
Le Mans Master

Received 626 Likes on 488 Posts

I don't really care about what people say about the C4. I liked all of the ones I have had. They are a fun car to drive and have a "feel" all their own. Although they may not have as much performance as the latest cars, they are good running, good handling, good mileage, and good looking cars.

I actually like it a little that the C4 is looked down on. It makes it so that we can afford them, and it is fun when we surprise a supposedly better car.

I like all the generations. I currently also have C5's, but my most recent purchase was a C4. I bought a '95 6M Dark Red one a few months ago because I like them.
Old 04-18-2014, 08:07 PM
Z51JEFF
Race Director

Received 643 Likes on 420 Posts
2022 C4 of the Year Finalist - Modified

You really need to ask this over in OFF TOPIC,people over there seem to have a handle on it.
Old 04-18-2014, 10:22 PM
Black'95
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 17 Posts

How could anyone not love a C4? It's a car you can wear like an old pair of just right blue jeans. And the clam shell hood, what other Vette has that? I love the way it drives and rides. It just feels, wears, and looks like a sports car? How could anyone bash it?
Old 04-18-2014, 10:32 PM
zr1fred
Race Director

Received 71 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Z51JEFF
You really need to ask this over in OFF TOPIC,people over there seem to have a handle on it.
Those boys over there know how to -->, And will be grateful for the practice.
Old 04-18-2014, 10:58 PM
greest_lightnin
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There was a recent nostalgic thread that quoted "Strapping it to my butt"...

Nothing could be truer...

Al
Old 04-18-2014, 11:45 PM
Docderek05
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tomorrow Morning, like other C4 owners, I'm going to go out to the garage, give her a quick look see under the hood, if all is A-ok..gonna climb in, crank it up...feel the idle come down...adjust my seat..my mirrors..relax into my cockpit..and roll her out..put on my sunglasses, slip in my favorite CD, and go have a love affair with my favorite girl...for a few hours...running up and down my side streets..to the highway,, crank up my Bose, let my windows down...and enjoy the living hell out of her...that's what all Corvettes are about, forgetting about your BS work week, ...and enjoying a machine that makes you feel like a kid..all the time..everytime. Everything else is just someone knocking on a door that they haven't even entered...why listen to their BS? Enjoy owning a 'Vette...any model...any Gen...take my advice...Drive....don't talk...Drive.
Old 04-18-2014, 11:54 PM
Wheel Stander
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by H P Bushrod
Who cares what the others think about the C4. If you like it (like I do), that's all that matters.

Get notified of new replies

To What's up with the dissing of the C4??

Old 04-19-2014, 12:04 AM
Wheel Stander
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Docderek05
Tomorrow Morning, like other C4 owners, I'm going to go out to the garage, give her a quick look see under the hood, if all is A-ok..gonna climb in, crank it up...feel the idle come down...adjust my seat..my mirrors..relax into my cockpit..and roll her out..put on my sunglasses, slip in my favorite CD, and go have a love affair with my favorite girl...for a few hours...running up and down my side streets..to the highway,, crank up my Bose, let my windows down...and enjoy the living hell out of her...that's what all Corvettes are about, forgetting about your BS work week, ...and enjoying a machine that makes you feel like a kid..all the time..everytime. Everything else is just someone knocking on a door that they haven't even entered...why listen to their BS? Enjoy owning a 'Vette...any model...any Gen...take my advice...Drive....don't talk...Drive.
Your comments are right on target, Brother. Who cares what some other knucklehead thinks? A Corvette is a Corvette is a Corvette. And if it's not a Corvette, then it's not the ultimate American sports car. Everyone should have a chance to relive their misspent youth and have a great time doing it.
Old 04-19-2014, 02:56 AM
kelmbaker
Cruising

I have always loved the C4 personally. When they came out they were so fresh, I saw one and told myself, self...someday.

I have driven all sorts of cars. They all have their special strengths and weaknesses. I agree that someday C4's will be sought after. The day of the $3500 C4 will be long gone. Enjoy it while you can.

Many people who deal in old cars feel that Corvette owners are snobbish. I so far, haven't found that.
Old 04-19-2014, 03:12 AM
quickpix
Heel & Toe

Default A Brilliant Feedback Dialogue

Thank you to all my Brother C4 Corvette'ers! Your opinions and historical facts where not only an eye opener for yours truly, but an affirmation that my choice of buying my C4 'Baby' was a brilliant choice for joining a long tradition of men and women who truly love and appreciate 'America's Sports Car'! Ride On!

Quick Reply: What's up with the dissing of the C4??