C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Looking for opinions on parts

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2014, 09:12 PM
AVID
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Looking for opinions on parts

I just recently picked up a pristine polo green 94 six speed (some of you may have seen my thread). The only things I can tell that it really needs is a new serpentine belt, plugs, and wires. Is there a specific place I should look for a belt, or a specific belt I should buy? As for plugs and wires I was thinking of getting AC Delco rapid fires with some sort of MSD wire. I'm open to suggestions that you all have, let's hear them.
Old 04-16-2014, 09:42 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

Received 6,943 Likes on 4,782 Posts
2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Dayco belt. AC delco plugs and wires. Deping on miles water pump and opti.
Old 04-16-2014, 09:44 PM
AVID
Advanced

Opti and water pump were dealer replaced by PO in 2009 both items have less than 10k on them.
Old 04-16-2014, 09:48 PM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Strange that they would not have changed the plugs and wires
Old 04-16-2014, 09:50 PM
AVID
Advanced

I'm gonna have to ask the PO cause I'm sure that they did.
Old 04-17-2014, 06:03 AM
Dt86
Safety Car

Received 482 Likes on 342 Posts

Rockauto is a good place for parts and they usually have ac delco for most things.
Old 04-17-2014, 07:12 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,258 Likes on 2,021 Posts

I'd shop "local" and avoid some of the "Internet" suppliers that seem to specialize in "price only" products - RA would be a "last resort" - they seem to have a problem supplying customers with 8 spark plugs that are a match!

I don't know that rapid fires or MSD wires are a must. MSD is a "branding" scheme for most of their products these days in "off the shelf" ignition for production cars.

I also believe that wires and plugs would have been done with the opti, unless the PO requested that they NOT be! Perhaps he had done them just previously. Regardless, I'd maybe pull a couple plugs and evaluate them and see what they are, brand and number. There's likely no need for replacement and you could be just creating issues.

What convinced you that it needs wires and spark plugs?

The belt is a no brainer just because of age.

Sounds like maybe a fuel filter, good gas and getting driven might be the first order of business. Check the air filter!

How recently has the trans and differential been serviced? Coolant?
Old 04-17-2014, 07:58 AM
WW7
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 318 Posts

To answer your original question.... "Summit Racing" can't be beat as far as customer service, great return policys, and fast shipping.. I have never had them question any returns I have made "ever".The quality of there parts are as good, and sometimes better then the competition, mainly because they carry so many different brands...The great thing is you live in PA so you should get the same great "1 day delivery" that I get...That's "1 day delivery" using just standard UPS Ground , there's no need for expedited shipping services where you live, because there only 300 miles away....As far as Covette only parts, look at the forum sponsors on the left side of the screen.....WW

Last edited by WW7; 04-17-2014 at 08:08 AM.
Old 04-17-2014, 08:13 AM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by WW7
To answer your original question.... "Summit Racing" can't be beat as far as customer service, great return policys, and fast shipping.. I have never had them question any returns I have made "ever".The quality of there parts are as good, and sometimes better then the competition, mainly because they carry so many different brands...The great thing is you live in PA so you should get the same great "1 day delivery" that I get...That's "1 day delivery" using just standard UPS Ground , there's no need for expedited shipping services where you live, because there only 300 miles away....As far as Covette only parts, look at the forum sponsors on the left side of the screen.....WW
why pay for shipping on anything go to your local auto parts store and order parts. this is not a race car, this is not a rare car, this is a common 20 year old chevy.
Old 04-17-2014, 08:18 AM
WW7
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Nowhere Man
why pay for shipping on anything go to your local auto parts store and order parts. this is not a race car, this is not a rare car, this is a common 20 year old chevy.
Yes, but inless you live in the state where the company is located, you pay "NO TAX"... It usually evens out, and on an expensive part you end up cheaper..My last 2 items from them had free shipping......WW

PS... A common 20 year old Chevy??, maybe yours is.......WW.

Last edited by WW7; 04-17-2014 at 08:30 AM.
Old 04-17-2014, 08:31 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Originally Posted by WW7
Yes, but inless you live in the state where the company is located, you pay "NO TAX... It usually evens out, and on an expensive part you end up cheaper.......WW

Ain't nothing like a "toe to toe" when buying automotive parts, should start with a "hello" and end up with a "hand-shake" - unless it's a "specialty buy" there should be little reason to do anything other than local!

There's way more reasons to buy maintenance parts local than not!
Old 04-17-2014, 08:41 AM
WW7
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by WVZR-1
Ain't nothing like a "toe to toe" when buying automotive parts, should start with a "hello" and end up with a "hand-shake" - unless it's a "specialty buy" there should be little reason to do anything other than local!

There's way more reasons to buy maintenance parts local than not!
Well, I would agree with you except for one thing, the parts they normally carry in stock are "white box" items that often break in a short while, or don't work at all to start with...To get out of stock items, or "name brand" items usually takes 3 or 4 days for them to get in...Plus the price is usually higher on these items...Im not saying that face to face isn't the prefered way to go, I would rather give a local company my bussiness, but I got tired of returning parts that break or didn't work and Summit has better quality parts if you want to purchase "Better quality parts"...Plugs and wires are one thing, but when you get into things like alternators, starters, and more advanced parts, the locals fall short....Also I live out in the sticks, so there's not much choice out here to begin with.....Come on Guys , the OP asked for suggestions, Im just giving mine, Im not saying it's correct for everyone.....WW

Last edited by WW7; 04-17-2014 at 09:20 AM.
Old 04-17-2014, 08:45 AM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by WW7

Last I checked mines a 94 this is 2014 so that makes it 20. and it's still made by Chevy. And Chevys are a common car any where in the USA. So my statment holds true.
Old 04-17-2014, 08:52 AM
WW7
Le Mans Master

Last I checked mines a 94 this is 2014 so that makes it 20. and it's still made by Chevy. And Chevys are a common car any where in the USA. So my statment holds true.
I see..... I want you to go up to a guy standing next to his Corvette, and tell him his Corvette is just a common old Chevy.... I hope you have a good dentist.......WW

Last edited by WW7; 04-17-2014 at 09:13 AM.
Old 04-17-2014, 09:11 AM
AVID
Advanced

Originally Posted by WVZR-1
I'd shop "local" and avoid some of the "Internet" suppliers that seem to specialize in "price only" products - RA would be a "last resort" - they seem to have a problem supplying customers with 8 spark plugs that are a match!

I don't know that rapid fires or MSD wires are a must. MSD is a "branding" scheme for most of their products these days in "off the shelf" ignition for production cars.

I also believe that wires and plugs would have been done with the opti, unless the PO requested that they NOT be! Perhaps he had done them just previously. Regardless, I'd maybe pull a couple plugs and evaluate them and see what they are, brand and number. There's likely no need for replacement and you could be just creating issues.

What convinced you that it needs wires and spark plugs?

The belt is a no brainer just because of age.

Sounds like maybe a fuel filter, good gas and getting driven might be the first order of business. Check the air filter!

How recently has the trans and differential been serviced? Coolant?

Plugs and wires came to mind only because the wires looked original. I'm gonna pop off a couple of plugs and inspect them while I'm doing the belt. Just used up the last of the fuel that had been in it since the car was stored since October. A fuel filter is definitely gonna be added to my list as well!
Old 04-17-2014, 09:24 AM
H P Bushrod

Received 109 Likes on 84 Posts
CI 5-6-7-8-9-10-11-12 Veteran
St. Jude Donor '09-'10-'11-12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23
NCM Sinkhole Donor

Originally Posted by WW7
I see..... I want you to go up to a guy standing next to his Corvette, and tell him his Corvette is just a common old Chevy.... I hope you have a good dentist.......WW
Old 04-17-2014, 10:02 AM
Nowhere Man
Team Owner

2015 C2 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by WW7
I will and I have. If you can't handle the truth stay away from me. Why anyone thinks any corvette built in the last 35 years are special and rare ( besides ZR-1). There is something wrong with your head.

Get notified of new replies

To Looking for opinions on parts

Old 04-17-2014, 03:28 PM
AVID
Advanced

For the Gatorback belt, what part number is the one that will fit? I've found two that claim to fit 4060805 and 4060667.
Old 04-17-2014, 03:45 PM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Originally Posted by AVID
For the Gatorback belt, what part number is the one that will fit? I've found two that claim to fit 4060805 and 4060667.

The 4060667 is an LT1 belt and the other is an LT5 (ZR-1). Trust the local parts guy and just tell him you've an LT1.
Old 04-17-2014, 03:50 PM
AVID
Advanced

Thanks for clearing that up for me, I was having a hard time finding the distinction between the two. After I slap a new belt on there and a new fuel filter I think she'll be in good shape. I'm looking for records when the coolant and differential had been serviced. If I can't find anything I may just do both of those as well this weekend.

Quick Reply: Looking for opinions on parts