C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

1986 Convertible

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2014, 08:00 AM
newbie2vette
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts
Default 1986 Convertible

A good friend had shared he is thinking of selling his 1986 Red with white top convertible. He takes care of his cars. What price is reasonable and any oppinion for this year C4? I rather find a newer model, but if he lets go for a good price. I take him up on it.
Old 04-16-2014, 09:24 AM
FOURSPEEDVETTE
Safety Car

Received 224 Likes on 156 Posts

If all (paint, convertible top, interior, engine, electronics, transmission) are in good shape as well as it having under 75,000 miles and a documented service history, it could be in the $7900.00 to $10,000.00 range. A manual transmission car will always be on the higher end of the price range. When they go for anything less than $6000.00, expect some work to be done. Maybe a lot of work. The 1986 C4 convertible in great shape is becoming a very sought after car.
Old 04-16-2014, 12:23 PM
hcbph
Safety Car

Received 526 Likes on 476 Posts

Default 86 Convertible

I bought one last year, I'd say the prices noted are in the ballpark for a Vette that needs little to no attention). Regardless of how well your friend takes care of it, there likely will be some things you'll need or want to do. I put a clutch master and slave in mine along with just replacing the halfshaft u-joints and those teflon washers in the rear hubs. Slave went out after I got it home and the rear hub area was making some noise, so they were fixed.
Mine (86 Convertible 5 speed L98 with 78K on the odometer) already had some upgrades done to it before I bought it like the 4+3 tranny was swapped for a Tremec 5 speed, the brake rotors and lines were swapped for drilled and slotted rotors along with SS braided brake lines. Looks like all 4 hubs were replaced in the past also along with the radio being replaced with a Sony Unit. Just some of the newer parts I've found on it so far.
One nice thing about the 86 is it does not have as much electronics as the newer ones. I'm old school so the less electronics the better for me and I've been able to do some of the work on this one where I'm not sure I could on the newer ones.
If you get it, two things you'll want to get are the FSM along with an ODB1 scanner tool.
One downer is that the convertible tops have the plastic back window, but there is an upgrade kit that allows using the newer tops with the glass window. No cheap but then again what is relating to a Vette.

So far I'm satisfied with mine and if the one you're looking at is in good condition, definitely consider it.

My 2 cents

Paul

Last edited by hcbph; 04-16-2014 at 12:36 PM.
Old 04-16-2014, 12:47 PM
65Z01
Team Owner

Received 300 Likes on 274 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

One perk of the '86 roadster is that is came late in '86 as did the Al heads on the L98 so you would get the improvement over the prior iron heads.
Old 04-16-2014, 01:33 PM
newbie2vette
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by hcbph
I bought one last year, I'd say the prices noted are in the ballpark for a Vette that needs little to no attention). Regardless of how well your friend takes care of it, there likely will be some things you'll need or want to do. I put a clutch master and slave in mine along with just replacing the halfshaft u-joints and those teflon washers in the rear hubs. Slave went out after I got it home and the rear hub area was making some noise, so they were fixed.
Mine (86 Convertible 5 speed L98 with 78K on the odometer) already had some upgrades done to it before I bought it like the 4+3 tranny was swapped for a Tremec 5 speed, the brake rotors and lines were swapped for drilled and slotted rotors along with SS braided brake lines. Looks like all 4 hubs were replaced in the past also along with the radio being replaced with a Sony Unit. Just some of the newer parts I've found on it so far.
One nice thing about the 86 is it does not have as much electronics as the newer ones. I'm old school so the less electronics the better for me and I've been able to do some of the work on this one where I'm not sure I could on the newer ones.
If you get it, two things you'll want to get are the FSM along with an ODB1 scanner tool.
One downer is that the convertible tops have the plastic back window, but there is an upgrade kit that allows using the newer tops with the glass window. No cheap but then again what is relating to a Vette.

So far I'm satisfied with mine and if the one you're looking at is in good condition, definitely consider it.

My 2 cents

Paul
I'm old school myself, as much as I like the power and among other newer bonus a 94-96 can offer. I like to turn wrench, hence I am leaning towards this model range. I am looking at another posibility, an 1987 with 37K miles, but it sat of 6 years asking 6K for it.
Old 04-16-2014, 07:33 PM
hcbph
Safety Car

Received 526 Likes on 476 Posts

Originally Posted by newbie2vette
I'm old school myself, as much as I like the power and among other newer bonus a 94-96 can offer. I like to turn wrench, hence I am leaning towards this model range. I am looking at another posibility, an 1987 with 37K miles, but it sat of 6 years asking 6K for it.
Personally, a running 86 with 75K vs a 87 non-running with 37K, I'd look at the 86 first. There are too many unknowns with a non running vehicle and those costs can mount up very quick trying to diagnose and replace weathered or worn out parts. My 2 cents.
Old 04-16-2014, 09:26 PM
newbie2vette
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by hcbph
Personally, a running 86 with 75K vs a 87 non-running with 37K, I'd look at the 86 first. There are too many unknowns with a non running vehicle and those costs can mount up very quick trying to diagnose and replace weathered or worn out parts. My 2 cents.
I know what you mean, that was the case with the 89 I worked on. It sat for 4 years with known problem not starting, during the diagnose I found electrical parts that gone bad to keep going to find the problem. That why I would focus on a running car with half decent paint I can maintain.
Old 04-19-2014, 12:25 AM
Ziggy*
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Go with the 86, If inside is good and paint is ok, TLC ..Just got my auction find off jack stands...Thanks to that guy in Vermillion, OH...Froze my butt off....Offer $5...$8.5 unless its really clean an built...Then?
Old 04-19-2014, 12:34 AM
Ziggy*
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Trust me...You will have electrical problems,...old wires, bad connectors..Just get FSM...Ain't nothing like flying with the top down...good luck

Get notified of new replies

To 1986 Convertible

Quick Reply: 1986 Convertible