C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

question for owners of '84-'91 c4's

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2014, 06:17 AM
hcbph
Safety Car

Received 526 Likes on 476 Posts

Default L98's

I have one in an 86 Convertible. It's a strong, cruising engine and does well around town too. I only bought it last year but it's doing well for me so far. Mine had a Tremec transmission change out from the DN 4+3 prior to my purchasing it so I can't speak to the 4+3 but this one turns around 18K at 75 mph on the interstate and got about 32 mpg.
It isn't the highest hp motor available but then again I bought this one to cruise with, not race and for that it does well.
Based on what I've experienced, I would have no reservations of recommending a L98 to someone if it matched their wants/needs for their planned usage.
Old 04-15-2014, 06:47 AM
cohocarl
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by hcbph
Based on what I've experienced, I would have no reservations of recommending a L98 to someone if it matched their wants/needs for their planned usage.

And they have one of the best looking intakes you'll find.

Old 04-15-2014, 06:32 PM
missinganova
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

small block chevy with roller cam and single piece rear seal.
what can go wrong if you keep the oil fresh...
Old 04-15-2014, 07:29 PM
oschlomer
Racer

I have a 84 with over 150K on the OD. Never had a problem and I drive it as a daily driver. I drive 172 miles a day round trip. The Crossfire is strong. You can't beat a GM 350
Old 04-15-2014, 09:39 PM
GILSWHO
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm an original owner of an 84. A couple years ago, i was going to buy a new l6. I drove it on a test drive. Great car but didn't pou a smile on my face as much as my 84. The car is reliable. Every now and then it runs rough on start up for about 2-3 minutes and then smooths out. Still a great car. It's underpowered today, but back in the day, very few could touch it. Besides, the speed comes on quick and steady.
Old 04-15-2014, 11:24 PM
Philsphan
Racer

Originally Posted by ch@0s
Learn to work on your own car. I don't let anyone touch my cars.
Easier said then done... I wouldn't wanna make something worse hopefully I found people I can trust. Plus btw does anyone know how much a digi dash rebuild is?
Old 04-16-2014, 07:36 AM
beerme
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Philsphan
Plus btw does anyone know how much a digi dash rebuild is?
What seems to be the problem with your dash and are you confident with working inside a home based pc? (e.g. comfortable replacing motherboard)?

I rebuilt mine myself; I ordered the LCD's on line along with some new rubberized conductive pads that connect the PCB to the LCD. I also had replaced my polarized film on my original LCD's and they are working also, so I now have an extra set in case an LCD fails. The LCD panels are roughly 110 - 150 each depending upon type and source. If you shop ebay you will find some for roughly 110, the ones Batee sells are closer to OEM specs and run a little more.

If the only problem you are experiencing is hard to read guages you could probably rebuild yourself.

www.batee.com has some great write ups and will sell you the components to do yourself. If you prefer they will rebuild for you.

Best of luck

Quick Reply: question for owners of '84-'91 c4's