C4 General Discussion General C4 Corvette Discussion not covered in Tech

Car Jack

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2014, 07:39 AM
newbie2vette
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Car Jack

After I changed the diff oil on my 1992 (new to me), I thought I would check the pressure on the spare. To my surprise the jack is missing: is this a special jack, can someone share a photo what this jack looks like so I can try to duplicate it. Thank you
Old 04-14-2014, 08:05 AM
Storageguy
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default jack

On my 94 the jack is under the storage tray behind passenger seat. Funny thing is I thought I was missing the jack crank/lug wrench. I ordered a new handle to find out the thing is stored behind the drivers seat near the floor. Hope this helps some.

Larry
Old 04-14-2014, 09:52 AM
newbie2vette
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Storageguy
On my 94 the jack is under the storage tray behind passenger seat. Funny thing is I thought I was missing the jack crank/lug wrench. I ordered a new handle to find out the thing is stored behind the drivers seat near the floor. Hope this helps some.

Larry
At first, that's where I looked, then I noticed the sticker showing they were stored with the spare tire. thank you.
Old 04-14-2014, 10:08 AM
corvetteronw
Race Director

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 247 Likes on 200 Posts
Cruise-In VII Veteran
Cruise-In VIII
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16

www.vette2vette.com for a used one. Save you some $
Old 04-14-2014, 10:09 AM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

The jack for my old '92 convertible was stored in the bottom of the passenger side storage compartment.

Did you pull the upper storage box out? There is a much larger compartment below the fiberboard storage box. Also, the "lug wrench" is (or should be) behind the driver's seat clamped down with a wing nut and washer.

The jack and lug wrench for my '87 was attached to the inside of the spare tire and has a black plastic bag for protection.

The jack is a scissors type and the pad that raises the car has a notch in it. The notch holds the pinch welded part of the frame where it's identified by the small embossed triangles. I would think that any C4 jack will work. Try posting a WTB thread in the C4 Parts For Sale section.

The OEM "lug wrench" pretty much sucks. Get a 1/2 in drive breaker bar about 18" long, a 6" extension and a deep 3/4" or 19mm socket. If you ever need to change a tire, a breaker bar will be a lot easier to use to loosen/tighten lug nuts.
Old 04-14-2014, 10:21 AM
Black'95
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 17 Posts

Page from my 1995 owner's manual:

Old 04-14-2014, 10:24 AM
hcbph
Safety Car

Received 526 Likes on 476 Posts

Default Jack

When I got mine, couldn't find the jack or handle. I had a scissor jack left over from the kids car (Pontiac Grand Am) so I tried that one and it worked fine.
I later found the handle bolted onto the underside of the hood by the passenger front tire.

Last edited by hcbph; 04-14-2014 at 10:44 AM.
Old 04-14-2014, 12:45 PM
newbie2vette
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by c4cruiser
The jack for my old '92 convertible was stored in the bottom of the passenger side storage compartment.

Did you pull the upper storage box out? There is a much larger compartment below the fiberboard storage box. Also, the "lug wrench" is (or should be) behind the driver's seat clamped down with a wing nut and washer.

The jack and lug wrench for my '87 was attached to the inside of the spare tire and has a black plastic bag for protection.

The jack is a scissors type and the pad that raises the car has a notch in it. The notch holds the pinch welded part of the frame where it's identified by the small embossed triangles. I would think that any C4 jack will work. Try posting a WTB thread in the C4 Parts For Sale section.

The OEM "lug wrench" pretty much sucks. Get a 1/2 in drive breaker bar about 18" long, a 6" extension and a deep 3/4" or 19mm socket. If you ever need to change a tire, a breaker bar will be a lot easier to use to loosen/tighten lug nuts.
Thank you! I know what you mean about the lug wrench. I did some damage on several knocles from using the one on my C3, for this car I did what you said, had plenty of breaker bar and impact sockets. So I retrofitted this car with a breaker bar and impact 19mm socket. I have a spare bottle jack type from a F350 truck, I just need to modify it so it will have the grove for the jacking point. Thank you everyone for your inputs. Oh yeah, I think I just became a C4 family. Wife love the car as daily driver, now time to find my convertible.
Old 04-14-2014, 01:05 PM
newbie2vette
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Black'95
Page from my 1995 owner's manual:

Thank you for the pictorial, that cavvity was empty when I got the car.
Old 04-15-2014, 09:29 AM
mixalive
Pro

Received 37 Likes on 24 Posts

The jack on my 92 is jack is on the spare tire wheel.
Old 04-15-2014, 09:43 AM
Black'95
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by newbie2vette
Thank you for the pictorial, that cavvity was empty when I got the car.
Check your car's RPO codes. Did it have the spare tire delete option?
* N84 - Delete spare tire

Get notified of new replies

To Car Jack

Quick Reply: Car Jack